Do You Live Outside Thailand In Se Asia?

cdnvic

Where are you?  

432 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious where the members from the region are from?

:o Might have to keep the poll open a long time to get many votes from Burma. If you add Myanmar maybe you will get a few responses much quicker.

When a free country decides to change it's name I'll accept it. Until then, myanmar is just a slave name IMO.

"Would be good if the members who voted could tell us where they live and why etec etc.. Just a thought!"

Singapore - I work there in our regional HQ

Could have had the position moved to Thailand last year when I was humming and arring about taking it but chose Singapore.

Worked in Thailand before and have visited over 25 times since leaving - it used to be for 3+ months a year but now only 3+ weeks a year but quite often.

Would be good if the members who voted could tell us where they live and why etec etc.. Just a thought!

Singapore - last year my great expat gig in BKK came to an end and I 'followed the money' to find a similar gig in Singapore - would have stayed in Thailand if I could have maintained my earning potential, but I couldn't, so I didn't :o

Edited by Captain Chaos

Just curious where the members from the region are from?

:D Might have to keep the poll open a long time to get many votes from Burma. If you add Myanmar maybe you will get a few responses much quicker.

When a free country decides to change it's name I'll accept it. Until then, myanmar is just a slave name IMO.

:o You know I'm with you 100%. My tongue in cheek reply refers to the fact that the people who would respond to the name Burma have been cut off from the internet while the despicable bunch running "Myanmar" still have access.

I live in the Lao PDR (can we at least get that name right?) :D because one, I want to and two, because my lovely wife is from here. Yes it's got it's downsides but they are completely outweighed by the ups. We gave it a try in the UK - but it just wasn't for either of us!

Not much else too add really! :D Enjoying semi-retirement at the grand old age of 33 . . . :D

Plans are a foot to actually make something out of my stay here so it may become fully permanent completely with residency if all goes well! :D

Even then I'll be managing and sitting back watching the money coming in! :o

is Thailand bashing allowed from in here???!!!!

Thanks for making me smile on an otherwise crappy night. :o

But our mods being omnipresent and omnipotent beings........I wouldn't try. :D In any case, aren't we here coz we've got mad love for this country? :D

I live in the Lao PDR (can we at least get that name right?) :D because one, I want to and two, because my lovely wife is from here. Yes it's got it's downsides but they are completely outweighed by the ups. We gave it a try in the UK - but it just wasn't for either of us!

Not much else too add really! :D Enjoying semi-retirement at the grand old age of 33 . . . :D

Plans are a foot to actually make something out of my stay here so it may become fully permanent completely with residency if all goes well! :D

What is required for residency?

Just curious. People who spend a lot of time there seem to call it "Lao" in casual conversation as opposed to "Laos." Which is correct?

I live in the Lao PDR

Enjoying semi-retirement at the grand old age of 33 . . . :o

with that last sentence...I dont think my priority question to him will have anything to do with what should be proper name of the country...Laos, Lao PDR, or whichever...Im more interested to hear from our friend techno how WE can also retire at his age :D

ofcourse Im jealous :D

Not much else too add really! :o Enjoying semi-retirement at the grand old age of 33 . . . :D

Even then I'll be managing and sitting back watching the money coming in! :D

Just curious. People who spend a lot of time there seem to call it "Lao" in casual conversation as opposed to "Laos." Which is correct?

The story of 'Laos' and 'Lao' all stems from it being a French colony who in there own wisdom christened the place 'Laos'. The twist to the tale is that in French the trailing 's' is silent! So even 'Laos' is pronounced Lao, however the problem lies that only French has this silent 's'. Where are the English speaking world it becomes 'Laoss' or 'Lay-os' or 'La-os' or which ever way some one wants to bastardise it! :bah:

Try telling Fed-Ex in the west you've got a parcal going to Lao ... they don't know of such a country. It really is a pain in the butt! :o

As for my semi-retirement . . hard work! :bah: To be honest I don't know how long I'll last not working! Not because I need to work its just my brain won't switch off . . . you know the constant I need to work thing . . . which at 33 I think it's a bit early to stop which is why I said 'semi-retired'!

Would be good if the members who voted could tell us where they live and why etec etc.. Just a thought!

Living in the provincial capital of Quang Ngai about 130km south of Da Nang, central Viet Nam.

Working here on a project to build refinery No. 1 in this fast developing country near the sleepy little fishing village of Dung Quat. Working as PMC (Project Management Consultant) for PetroVietnam, started on the job in France (Paris) then moving to Kuala Lumpur and now the end game in Viet Nam.

Viet Nam is one of my final resting place options so this is a great opportunity to suss the place out. Thus far it is suiting me just fine and with a three times weekly flights between Bangkok and Da Nang I can easily have the odd long weekend in Thailand.

I'm kinda surprised there's been no Cambodia responses yet. The internet has arrived there right? :D

Almost got :D .. Part time resident reporting :o ..

But also reporting from Bkk & K.L.

Confusing eh.. well thats semi-retired unmarried life i guess .. nah , it's just a small world, i mean region :D

Where - Singapore

Why - I thought better schools(for my daughter), but actually I disagree now so I'm going back to LOS in 2 weeks for a year(lived there for 5 years prior) or so. The world just seems so small when you can choose where you want to live. I really get quite confused with what or where is best :o

The story of 'Laos' and 'Lao' all stems from it being a French colony who in there own wisdom christened the place 'Laos'. The twist to the tale is that in French the trailing 's' is silent! So even 'Laos' is pronounced Lao, however the problem lies that only French has this silent 's'. Where are the English speaking world it becomes 'Laoss' or 'Lay-os' or 'La-os' or which ever way some one wants to bastardise it! :o

No to split hairs, as I believe you're quite right about the origin of the name Laos :-), but in French we do pronounce the "s" at the end, it's English speakers that usually don't! :-) In French, we say La-us (with the 'La' sounding like la-la-la, and the 'us" like "us and them")

That Laos vs. Lao thing confused me forever! :D

Edited by canadiangirl

Where - Singapore

Why - I thought better schools(for my daughter), but actually I disagree now so I'm going back to LOS in 2 weeks for a year(lived there for 5 years prior) or so. The world just seems so small when you can choose where you want to live. I really get quite confused with what or where is best :o

Hi

I would be interested on your views of the schools re Singapore etc?

From observation i think the kids are pushed too much but then again I am a lazy git. I hear stories from pals on my MBA how they would pull all nighters many times while at school and Uni.

My boss and otehr colleagues like the schools for their children but seem to make sure they get a good balance and not schoolwork only as some Singaporeans do.

The story of 'Laos' and 'Lao' all stems from it being a French colony who in there own wisdom christened the place 'Laos'. The twist to the tale is that in French the trailing 's' is silent! So even 'Laos' is pronounced Lao, however the problem lies that only French has this silent 's'. Where are the English speaking world it becomes 'Laoss' or 'Lay-os' or 'La-os' or which ever way some one wants to bastardise it! :D

No to split hairs, as I believe you're quite right about the origin of the name Laos :-), but in French we do pronounce the "s" at the end, it's English speakers that usually don't! :-) In French, we say La-us (with the 'La' sounding like la-la-la, and the 'us" like "us and them")

That Laos vs. Lao thing confused me forever! :D

That completely confuses me then! I was told that the 's' is silent - having never learnt french I couldn't argue . . . just another bastardisation of the name - La-us . . :D

Either way why the hel_l they need to add the 's' I really do not know - cause it just causes no end of bloody confusion! :o

Hi

I would be interested on your views of the schools re Singapore etc?

From observation i think the kids are pushed too much but then again I am a lazy git. I hear stories from pals on my MBA how they would pull all nighters many times while at school and Uni.

My boss and otehr colleagues like the schools for their children but seem to make sure they get a good balance and not schoolwork only as some Singaporeans do.

Well my daughter is very young (just started Year1), but I sent her to a respected International school that followed the IB PYP. However when I observed first hand it was really nothing more than rote learning but with a very pressured and disciplined edge to it. I removed her immediately and the "excuse" that was given to me was that because the IB PYP programme is quite new to Singapore the teachers are not completely up-to-speed with how to deliver it.

I have many friends with older children in the state schools and the pressure on them is phenomenal and their schedules are enough to make me (a multitasking British Entrepreneur and Mother) fold up into a ball and cry!!

Yet the end results are kids who can pass exams but not think outside of the box. I recently conducted interviews seeking potential employees for a high paid position and out of the 20 odd I interviewed I found the most outstanding academic achievements yet they lacked that flair, passion, drive and innovation that is frequently met with young grads from the West. :o

How do get on with visas/visa runs etc???????