Do You Live Outside Thailand In Se Asia?

cdnvic

Where are you?  

432 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I lived in Thailand for 8.5 years and have now been living in Bali, Indonesia, for nearly 2 years.

I was a little tired of living in Thailand and was planning on moving back to Australia, but got a job offer for Bali and snapped it up.

For a woman, I think Bali is better than Thailand (yes, I know I am comparing an island to a nation/kingdom, but please dont jump on me for that)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well siggie2 , I have lived most of the time in Phnom Penh where I feel quite safe and content , we do visit the village where we have property and recently my wife had a large Kymer house built . Due to the lack of electricity in the village , I realise I could not live there even though I bought a generator , wired the houses for both 12 and 240 volt , I guess I am still a creature of some comforts after all , not prepared to go retro in my retirement . The family just love their step up the ladder in life stye , I have to be happy for that .

• 2 weeks later...

What about all you guys/gals in Brunei. Looks like it's the best kept secret, what with 25 silent voters. :)

Cambodia has been coming up a lot in conversations. Any more contributors from there who can enlighten us about rent, electricity and other western comforts. (Thanks Dumball for your thoughts.)

After 15 years in various places in Thailand, most of SE Asia, HKG & Taipei I chanced to live in Pakse, Lao PDR for a while and I have to say the place might be the best of the lot. Techno I hope you do make it permanent so when I move the family back to Pakse in a few years we can look you up for current intel & a few beer Lao!

A large 2 room apartment with all amenities and a balcony can be found for $200.00 at this time , electric can be through the company but most charge 1,000 riel per KWH , water by people $3/5/7 per 1/2/3/people , cable $3.00-$7.00 , fully furnished .

A 3 bedroom house can be found for $350.00 unfurnished but is away from the action . Prices go up from there dependant on quality and location .

Hope this helps a little .

A large 2 room apartment with all amenities and a balcony can be found for $200.00 at this time , electric can be through the company but most charge 1,000 riel per KWH , water by people $3/5/7 per 1/2/3/people , cable $3.00-$7.00 , fully furnished .

A 3 bedroom house can be found for $350.00 unfurnished but is away from the action . Prices go up from there dependant on quality and location .

Hope this helps a little .

Dumball, how much would a nice villa with pool be in a quiet part of Phnom Penh ? And how about hiring staff, cook, gardener etc. ?

How about internet connections ?

LaoPo

So Far:

Cambodia [ 9 ] ** [10.71%]

Burma [ 5 ] ** [5.95%]

Malaysia [ 7 ] ** [8.33%]

Laos [ 6 ] ** [7.14%]

Indonesia [ 4 ]** [4.76%]

Singapore [ 16 ]** [19.05%]

Vietnam [ 4 ]** [4.76%]

Brunei [ 29 ]** [34.52%]

Philipines [ 4 ] ** [4.76%]

Amazing high number of expats in Brunei; I'm surprised ! I thought there's no beer in Brunei ? :)

LaoPo

Well LaoPo , There was a walled in villa sans pool early in the year for $500.00 pm plus plus .

I went out and had a chat with my taxi man today and he informed me a decent villa with pool in a quieter area would be more on the lines of $1,000.00 pm , he told me he will make some enquiries and see what comes up .

There is always labour available for most 'house' work , but to get dedicated help would require more of a search effort , you have to pay a little extra but you finish up getting more for your money in the long run . My sil works for a bunch of Philippinos about 3 days a week and earns more than double what she had earned in a hotel working long hours 6 days a week . My wife is her 'Spokes person' because she has learned from me you need to speak up and get all things equal BEFORE you start work for a person , the people are guaranteed good work for their money and consider it money well spent . She started for a neighbour and has been recommended from there on to friends , she is thoroughly dependable and honest , a trait not easily found I have been told .

Okay , less of the advertising 555 , she is not for hire at this time , when my taxi man comes up with something viable , I will pass on what he has found , hope this helps a little .

Well LaoPo , There was a walled in villa sans pool early in the year for $500.00 pm plus plus .

I went out and had a chat with my taxi man today and he informed me a decent villa with pool in a quieter area would be more on the lines of $1,000.00 pm , he told me he will make some enquiries and see what comes up .

There is always labour available for most 'house' work , but to get dedicated help would require more of a search effort , you have to pay a little extra but you finish up getting more for your money in the long run . My sil works for a bunch of Philippinos about 3 days a week and earns more than double what she had earned in a hotel working long hours 6 days a week . My wife is her 'Spokes person' because she has learned from me you need to speak up and get all things equal BEFORE you start work for a person , the people are guaranteed good work for their money and consider it money well spent . She started for a neighbour and has been recommended from there on to friends , she is thoroughly dependable and honest , a trait not easily found I have been told .

Okay , less of the advertising 555 , she is not for hire at this time , when my taxi man comes up with something viable , I will pass on what he has found , hope this helps a little .

Thanks a lot of the info Dumball; much appreciated!

LaoPo

I have often wondered why there are so many Philipino living in my immediate area here in Phnom Penh and now I know . We have just had another super market mall open where many Barang style foods and other requisites are available , local markets have a wide variety of meats/fruits and vegetables at good prices , booze and cigarettes are realy low cost .

Can you please tell me where this new shopping Mall is located in PP?

I moved to Cambodia from T'Land almost three years ago.

The Reason WHY>> I just got Fed up with how the Thai People have changed mainly their attitude. I lived there for five years before moving here I also lived in T'Land for two years in the 90s, I saw a lot of changes over the years. I had a Retirement Visa so I had No Visa Problem.

I First moved to Sihanoukville for two years and now Im living in Phnom Penh. I moved because of Business. When I first moved to Cambodia I worked it out that for me the cost of living here was about $300. a month less than T'Land. My Thai wife G/F came here with me & she has fitted right in (Can get Thai T.V. here) so that makes her happy.

The Downside of Cambodia: Internet Cost, Medical, Infrastructure, Public Transport, lack of Western Style accommodation, Crazy Drivers,

The Up Side of Cambodia: Ease of Visa, The Khmer People, More English spoken here, Cheap Cigs, Cheap Booze, Vegetables taste better less Chemicals used, Sea Food Cheaper & better tasting, Local beef dont buy it,

Chicken & Pork a bit more expensive here, Cable TV $7 a month,

My one B'Room Apt in PP at Wat Phnom which is a good part of town cost me $150. a month + Elect $30. a month, no charge for water. I use town water with a ceramic filter so I dont have to buy Bottled water, Internet cost $50. a month with EZECOM they are about the best in PP at this time.

Im moving to a new 2 B'Room Apt at the end of this month with 3 Bathrooms, Very Large Lounge Dining Room, Large Full Kitchen, Only one Apt per Floor with a full width Balcony. Its unfurnished, No hot water in the Shower.

its Located in a good part of Town part of Military H.Q. so Security is not a Problem 24/7 Armed Guards I have to meet Visitors at the Boom Gate to get them in. Plenty of car parking which is an asset for me. This Apt was never advertised I have a friend that lives in the Building & he let me know as soon as one became available. Rent Cost $250. a month + Elect @ Govt Rate of 740 reil per unit which should run me about $25. a month, Cable T.V. included in Rent. The Owners are really nice people, she ask me the other day if I was happy with the colour on the walls If not she would re-paint it for me.

General cost Of accommodation in PP can range from $100. to $4,000. a month depending on what you are looking for. One way to find an Apt is get a Tuk Tuk or Moto taxi to drive you around If its for rent it will have a sign on it. I know one Khmer Guy that runs his business from home calls himself "Art The Home Finder" His name being Art a very nice man and also very helpful in finding what you are looking for. He Charges the owner a commission you dont have to pay him. Please PM me if you want his Phone Number.

Cambodia is not for everyone I think its one of those places you either love or hate, many have moved here from T'Land only to return after just a few weeks or Months many more like myself never want to return to Thailand.

Cambodia is SO GOOD THAKSIN HAS MOVED HERE TO LIVE??????

I hope this has filled a few gaps for some of you.

Cheers.

Tony.

P.S. I have also lived in the Philippines would you like a report on that also?

Edited by Pattayatony

Just curious where the members from the region are from?

:) Might have to keep the poll open a long time to get many votes from Burma. If you add Myanmar maybe you will get a few responses much quicker.

When a free country decides to change it's name I'll accept it. Until then, myanmar is just a slave name IMO.

A shithole is what it is, no matter how you call it. :D

Worked in Thailand for 19 years, and then, as there was no job in my field, ended up working in Cebu, Philippines. Its been an interesting change, and I don't regret it at all. The countries are actually more similar than I expected them to be.

With a few exceptions, prices are cheaper than Bangkok, and the supermarkets are good, but with not quite the same range of food products as Thailand.

I've heard this "security" thing mentioned a number of times about Cebu, but so far have had no problem at all myself. Yes, there are areas of the city I wouldn't go to after dark, but there are in Bangkok as well!

One major difference is the the fact that most Filipinos speak fairly good (if idiosyncratic!) English. At first I fell into the trap of thinking that, because they spoke English well, they would think more like Westerners. I soon realised I was quite wrong!

Bureaucracy is worse than Thailand, except that some visas are rather easier to obtain.

Edited by grtaylor

• 2 weeks later...
Brunei [ 29 ]** [34.52%]

Amazing high number of expats in Brunei; I'm surprised ! I thought there's no beer in Brunei ? :)

LaoPo

Always plenty of beer in Brunei, just a case of knowing where.

It's also an easy trip to cross over the border to the numerous Malaysian watering holes.

Brunei [ 29 ]** [34.52%]

LaoPo

Always plenty of beer in Brunei, just a case of knowing where.

It's also an easy trip to cross over the border to the numerous Malaysian watering holes.

Thanks for clarifying; didn't know that.

LaoPo

'Pattayatony' The Downside of Cambodia: Infrastructure,

I was wondering How many power cuts you have in a week on average?

We average about 2 a month , could be 5 minutes or an hour always in the daytime , it used to more at any time , things are improving .

• 2 weeks later...

:) Might have to keep the poll open a long time to get many votes from Burma. If you add Myanmar maybe you will get a few responses much quicker.

When a free country decides to change it's name I'll accept it. Until then, myanmar is just a slave name IMO.

Wonderful and thoughtful response. I agree 100%.

:endbumkissing:

I was wondering How many power cuts you have in a week on average?

We average about 2 a month , could be 5 minutes or an hour always in the daytime , it used to more at any time , things are improving .

Depends on where you live>>> If you live in a Street near a VIP then NO power cuts...

If you live amongst less mortals then ?????

I dont get any where I live.... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't it called Myanmar before the Brits invaded and changed the name to something they could pronounce easier?

• 1 month later...

Wasn't it called Myanmar before the Brits invaded and changed the name to something they could pronounce easier?

Nothing to do with the Brits, but nice try.

^Well we usually get the blame for everything.

The name "Burma" has been in use in English since the time of British colonial rule. In 1989, the military government officially changed the English translations of many colonial-era names, including the name of the country to "Myanmar".

^Well we usually get the blame for everything.

The name "Burma" has been in use in English since the time of British colonial rule. In 1989, the military government officially changed the English translations of many colonial-era names, including the name of the country to "Myanmar".

Wikipedia has a full description of Burma and Myanmar:

In the Burmese language, Burma is known as either Myanma or Bama. Myanma is the written, literary name of the country, while Bama is the spoken name of the country. Burmese, like Javanese and other languages of Southeast Asia, has different levels of register, with sharp differences between literary and spoken language.

The colloquial name Bama is supposed to have originated from the name Myanma by shortening of the first syllable (loss of nasal "an", reduced to non-nasal "a", and loss of "y" glide), and then by transformation of "m" into "b". This sound change from "m" to "b" is frequent in colloquial Burmese, and occurs in many other words. Although Bama may be a later transformation of the name Myanma, both names have been in use alongside each other for centuries. However, while Bama or Barma were used (by outsiders) to refer to the geographical entity that roughly corresponds to modern Burma, the use of the word Myanmar was used to identify the people of that ethnic group.

Simple, eh? :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_Burma

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Where - Singapore

Why - I thought better schools(for my daughter), but actually I disagree now so I'm going back to LOS in 2 weeks for a year(lived there for 5 years prior) or so. The world just seems so small when you can choose where you want to live. I really get quite confused with what or where is best :)

Hi

I would be interested on your views of the schools re Singapore etc?

From observation i think the kids are pushed too much but then again I am a lazy git. I hear stories from pals on my MBA how they would pull all nighters many times while at school and Uni.

My boss and otehr colleagues like the schools for their children but seem to make sure they get a good balance and not schoolwork only as some Singaporeans do.

singapore school produces muggers... insane gpa or a-level score to get into their self acclaimed elite university of asia. my opinion is uk, usa or australia education rank much higher and superior than what singapore education system can offers.

the students here are crazy, there are only study and study... not much emphasis on sports and arts..

anyone living in penang? i heard it is a nice place where there are many chinese(not referring those PRC).... thinking of moving there when i am near retirement age... been too sick of singapore... or maybe hatyai in the southern of thailand is a good alternative?

• 2 weeks later...
Would be good if the members who voted could tell us where they live and why etec etc.. Just a thought!

On the name thing it is Viet Nam! Why do I live here? I believe it is the safest country in SE Asia. Why do I say this?

1)The crime rate is very low with most crimes being petty.

2)The general population is very helpful towards foreigners.

3)There is great oppurtunity for business ventures.

4)Fat Vietnamese people are virtually no-existant.

5)The food is great.

6)What is happening in LOS would never happen here.

I have lived 3 years in LOS. 5 years Singapore. And now 15months in Viet Nam.

Oh by the way I'm an Aussie.