Does Massage Really Contribute To Your Health?

RoyalOrchid

If they are done correctly, they can be beneficial, IMO.

A few years ago, I suffered from sciatica which I described to my massuese. After a month (twice a week) of massage it appeared to have gone and it hasn't returned since.

At first there are many different kind of massages and yes there are all healthy IF done correctly. In Thailand you usually find the traditional Thai Massage and generalized Oil Massages. While the Traditional Thai Massage can benefit your muscle system very well, if over done or done wrong it also could create slide injuries since it include excessive stretching of your muscular system. It the therapist is a bit "rough" on cold muscles they could actually over stretch. Oil Massages, how ever they called (many names are designed for it like Swedish Massage or Mandara Massage etc.) address issues on a very different level. There is almost no risk for injuries. If the pressure applied is to strong for you, you simple tell the therapist. Oil Massages can address several health issues effectively. Combined with Aromas and high quality oils (unfortunately often are cheap oils used to keep the price low) it can be an extraordinary experience for body and mind. A third for of massages are the medical massages. Here you really should trust the therapist first. For example a lymphatic massage has high effects but if done not correctly it can harm. Anyhow, usually you will not find medical massages anywhere around the corner in Thailand.

So, go ahead and have a good massage, you will like it and with a good therapist you health will definitive benefit from it.

muscular, skeletal or indeed lymphatic problems aside - if the prolonged stress is the reason for the majority of ilnesses, than yes, having a massage as often as you can would be recommended to stay healthy.

while in thailand I do have up to 2h of thai massage almost every single day.

haven't heared much yet about injuries from thai massage, unless client with bristle bones asks for walking on him/her. Go to the therapist recommended to you and stick to that person. Finding a good therapist is a pot of luck.

I find that the electronic Massage Chairs work ABSOLUTE WONDERS to ones senses. I first tried on in the Business Class lounge at Suvanabumi Airport a few months ago. WOW! What an INCREDIBLE experience that was!! I can honestly say it was the BEST massage I have EVER had in my life! I plan on buying one when I return to LOS next year!

YangYaiEic :o

anyone want to comment on what makes massage 'healthy' other than just making one feel relaxed. Seems to me that blood circulation is stimulated which is good (most of the time)...however, if this were the case wouldn't one feel invigorated?...after my MiL or SiL finish working me over (singly or together) I'm as weak as a kitten...

depending on technique used and intentions - but generally massage works on the nervous system (parasymphatetic nervous system which slows down your body processes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasympathetic_nervous_system ).

the massage would bring the blood to the muscles and skin, but because of activating parasymphatetic system it will lower your blood pressure and your heart rate. That's why we can feel cold during and immediatly after the treatment and why you can feel lethargic.

outcome of the treatment will different from person to person - depending on desired goal and skills.

being relaxed means avoiding in a long run serious illnesses (insomia, anxiety, depression, ulcers, ME, IBS, heart conditions or even arthitis and cancer) all associated with stress

The last professional massage I had, the girl that was walking on my back slipped and my kidney has hurt every since. I have NOT had a massage since and am of the opinion that it is all crap. Believe what you want. I think chiropractors are crap too.

believe what you want - why than health insurance companies pay millions for massage treatments and why in some countries massage is available as part of the National Health Service?

don't think it's a kidney - more spine injury.

I did mention earlier - don't ask for walking on you if you have weak bones (or if you feel the therapist doesn't know how to do it properly). She should never ever be anywhere near your kidneys.

I have found massage very helpful in dealing with painful spasms from back injuries. The trouble is that only one therapist in four is good in treating my symptoms. Forceful or fast treatments are of no value. What works for me is mild relaxation techniques,similar to caresses, followed by mild manipulation of the affected vertebarae. I can instruct a therapist in what works if they are ineffective but I have had terrible luck in gaining their cooperation when they are ineffective. There have been a few instances in which I instucted people known to me to administer what I know works for me.

The last professional massage I had, the girl that was walking on my back slipped and my kidney has hurt every since. I have NOT had a massage since and am of the opinion that it is all crap.

That's akin to saying "A car ran over my foot as I crossed the road. I haven't crossed a road since".

The last professional massage I had, the girl that was walking on my back slipped and my kidney has hurt every since. I have NOT had a massage since and am of the opinion that it is all crap. Believe what you want. I think chiropractors are crap too.

I have been building homes for 25+ years.

Cannot count how many times I have tweaked my back.

Chiro's have always fixed them for me. The sooner you go the better too.

Firm believer here because I have had great results over the years.

On the other hand I know some that went to doctors instead & ened up getting operations.

They unfortunately have never been the same afterwards.