Inside My 360

Etrigan

Tools arrived for the job so I took the blasted machine apart.

The casing and parts removal is relatively simple. Removing the x-clamps was easier than expected but certainly not a doddle!

In the attached pic, you can see the problem. The thermal paste (board centre) has melted onto the heatsinks (see top) and the chips are very dirty therefore preventing efficient heat exchange. Next job is to get those really clean using rubbing alcohol and lots of cotton buds. Apply new thermal paste and replace heatsinks without MS xclamps which you can see picture right.

In a few days time I will know for sure, and will keep you updated.

For those interested, you can contrast my pic with that of the new 360 system pic that Reimar posted just a few days ago, the heatsink difference is enormous.

I also hope that this pic finally convinces the cynics that the 360 is defective by design and the high failure rate is not exagerated, it is real! Look at the pics.

For other 360 owners in limbo with broken machines, let's just hope that I can crack this one and give hope to all those dead 16,000 baht paperweights.

Regards.

post-40397-1191315927_thumb.jpg

Guest Reimar

Instead of Rubbing Alcohol you better use Video-Spray, the one used years ago for to clean the Heads in Video recorder. Rubbing alcohol still contain a little bit of oil which Video Spray didn't! And instead of Cotton Buds use a soft Toothbrush for cleaning beside of alot Video Spray!

Haven't seen this no video fault yet but I am working for three xboxes360 to remove the three red lights. All have booted now to the dashboard, one for a short time and shows after 10 minutes playing two red lights (overheating), tighten the screws ( three red lights).

An other one plays for 20 minutes and shows the red lights and the third one shows sometimes an E71 error and reports with every disk wrong region.

The last two have the x-clamps so see what happens after changing to the M5 bolts.

Some tips;

Using artic silver will lower the CPU/GPU temp with 8 degrees, the RBJtech mod for the GPU cooler for more airflow (all highly recommended for owners with a working xbxo360).

A quote from a forum:

FACT:50% of 360's fail within the 1st 6 months of use, 90% fail within the 1st year,9% will last for greater than a year and 1% may reach two.

I've heard that the biggest problem is that darn eco-friendly solder that they used for the BGA processor. Basically, it doesn't "stick" as well as the leaded solder, so when the machine overheats, the chip can actually partially pop away from the socket.

Khun Jack - If I may take advantage of your experience.

The 3 rod have gone, I tightened the screws after the 2 rings, and now the system starts up with green LED. A good sign in theory.

Now, when AV cable is disconnected the machine auto-shuts down like it is supposed to. Plug it in and the machine recognises the connection. Yet still nothing output.

Do you think this is a complication of the x-clamp warping the board or is it another malfunction? It just seems weird that the console detects the connection. I don't suspect the cable itself, although just to be sure I will test that asap.

Do you think I should start all over again, remove the artic silver thermal compound, re-apply, re-attach and hope for better results?

I used nylon washers but only one metal 5mm washer where the sinks meet the board, using Lawdawg method. It's incredible that the rod is fixed but this AV issue remains.

Still, if nothing else, it's been a huge learning process.

Thanks for your help Jack.

• 2 weeks later...
Khun Jack - If I may take advantage of your experience.

The 3 rod have gone, I tightened the screws after the 2 rings, and now the system starts up with green LED. A good sign in theory.

Now, when AV cable is disconnected the machine auto-shuts down like it is supposed to. Plug it in and the machine recognises the connection. Yet still nothing output.

Do you think this is a complication of the x-clamp warping the board or is it another malfunction? It just seems weird that the console detects the connection. I don't suspect the cable itself, although just to be sure I will test that asap.

Do you think I should start all over again, remove the artic silver thermal compound, re-apply, re-attach and hope for better results?

I used nylon washers but only one metal 5mm washer where the sinks meet the board, using Lawdawg method. It's incredible that the rod is fixed but this AV issue remains.

Still, if nothing else, it's been a huge learning process.

Thanks for your help Jack.

Any update yet ajarnruss on the results of your repair job?

solosiam or benq or whatever you are - your reply in this thread is typical of your attitude whenever someone reports a broken 360. You really ought to stop doing this, I mean, do you realise how infantile this behaviour is? Of course you don't as that would require an ounce of intellect, and you only have 16ths!

basjke - I have green LED on start up. The red rings are gone. Sadly, the console isn't yet 100% fixed as there is no AV output. I need to check with another AV cable to eliminate suspects! Just waiting for A. The time to go to a shop and try with their AV cable as a test, or B. Hook up with a 360 owner and test using their cable.

If there is AV, its fixed, but if not, I will call it a day and wait for the new 360's. I will also cut a huge hole in my new 360 and attach a 220v fan which will ensure minimal temperatures when in use.

solosiam or benq or whatever you are - your reply in this thread is typical of your attitude whenever someone reports a broken 360. You really ought to stop doing this, I mean, do you realise how infantile this behaviour is? Of course you don't as that would require an ounce of intellect, and you only have 16ths!

basjke - I have green LED on start up. The red rings are gone. Sadly, the console isn't yet 100% fixed as there is no AV output. I need to check with another AV cable to eliminate suspects! Just waiting for A. The time to go to a shop and try with their AV cable as a test, or B. Hook up with a 360 owner and test using their cable.

If there is AV, its fixed, but if not, I will call it a day and wait for the new 360's. I will also cut a huge hole in my new 360 and attach a 220v fan which will ensure minimal temperatures when in use.

How did you repair the faulty solders on the mainboard.Did you use the what they call the towel method or did you resolder them?

Insults are unnecessary... Ben just reported his experience and thats counter to the above quoted 'fact'..

I too am into my second year of 360 use.. As is a mate.. None of us have suffered the 3RLOD.

So based on the above 'fact' where only 9% make a year I would say thats way out..

I am not saying there are no failures but the 'fact' that only 1% of 360's make 2 years is BS IMO.

No i mean the external box was black with grey Halo writing on it. So I presume they are the new ones not elites right? Or are the HALO 3 boxed machines just ELITE rebadged?

I thought I saw the new HALO XBOX 360's with HDMI in MBK the other day. Black colour box right? Are they not the new XBOX360's?

You're probably thinking about the Xbox 360 Elite.

Yeah I suspect those are elites.. The Halo version is army green and orange..

There are aftermarket black cases too..

Edited by dekka007

Insults are unnecessary... Ben just reported his experience and thats counter to the above quoted 'fact'..

I too am into my second year of 360 use.. As is a mate.. None of us have suffered the 3RLOD.

So based on the above 'fact' where only 9% make a year I would say thats way out..

I am not saying there are no failures but the 'fact' that only 1% of 360's make 2 years is BS IMO.

Insults are necessary, when a person starts his message at laughing at another persons misfortune ..... My mother died this morning .... reply, lol my mother is still living.

Your 360 is still working, hooray for you, why are you on a message talking about broken 360's if yours is working ???? Go and enjoy yourself on your 360 ;P

Everytime there is a message about broken 360's Ben rears his ugly head saying his 3 or 4 or 5 360's the amount changes every post, and his friends who own 2, or 3 or 4 again Bens friends and the amount they have changes every post too work fine.

This whole thread is about people who have broken 360's and how to fix them, of course there are 360's out there that aren't broken, and you 2 are the lucky ones, so go and play them.

Me and my friends aren't HIV+ or blind, deaf or dumb, but I do believe there are millions of people with Hiv .... but with your logic I expect you think these are myths too, cos you and your friends haven't got them right !!?!?!