I Really Lovwe Thailand.

coldcrush

Hi All,

there is so much confusion in some posts these days about how people do not like this and dont like that.

I for one would like to clarify, myself as a falang, I love Thailand and all its quirks and character....

Long live the king. :o

On balance, good & bad - Thailand is similar to many other countries. For reasons I won't go into in this thread I decided to make it my home & therefore one can asume that I love Thailand, with the good, the bad & the annoying! :o

I think Kipling's poem, written over 100 years ago about Thailand's neighbour, currently in such turmoil, cannot be bettered as a summary of why so many are drawn to LOS. The appeal hasn't changed in all that time. The whole poem is great, but for brevity I quote the last 2 verses:

I am sick o' wastin' leather on these gritty pavin'-stones,

An' the blasted Henglish drizzle wakes the fever in my bones;

Tho' I walks with fifty 'ousemaids outer Chelsea to the Strand,

An' they talks a lot o' lovin', but wot do they understand?

Beefy face an' grubby 'and —

Law! wot do they understand?

I've a neater, sweeter maiden in a cleaner, greener land!

On the road to Mandalay . . .

Ship me somewheres east of Suez, where the best is like the worst,

Where there aren't no Ten Commandments an' a man can raise a thirst;

For the temple-bells are callin', an' it's there that I would be —

By the old Moulmein Pagoda, looking lazy at the sea;

On the road to Mandalay,

Where the old Flotilla lay,

With our sick beneath the awnings when we went to Mandalay!

On the road to Mandalay,

Where the flyin'-fishes play,

An' the dawn comes up like thunder outer China 'crost the Bay!

Gosh, I wouldn't even know where to begin......this awesome, inexplicable love for Thailand. Being almost dinner time, naturally all I can about is the food which can strangely overcome my sudden craving for a juicy thick slab of steak the minute I just *look* at it. I know I"m a glutton. So? :o Gastronomical reasons aside, there's just this weird joy that makes my heart goes skippity skip even when I'm just walking back to my apartment. Oy, do no scoff at my street just coz it's on Soi 4, it has it's charms, yo. =P

<br />Please refrain from insulting each other or suspensions will follow.<br /><br />The first line of the forum rules is :- <b>Please respect fellow members!</b><br /><br />Thanks. <br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br

Crikey " suspensions" does that mean "hangings"?

Its a thought :D

But no, it means suspension of posting privileges. Some people should not post under the influence. :o

Too bad Sir Burr, no fluffy bunny postings here! :D

I'll try to make it fluffy (although I'd better beware I don't live there yet!):o...

I love Thailand for so many reasons. The sights, sounds, and smells. The people, I have many good friends there. The food is the best and most enjoyable food ever! The 'lack' of rules and regs. (UK is becoming a nanny state) The order in the chaos. The weather (okay, not all the time)

Okay, I could state some negatives - good and bad everywhere - however, check the op. If you want a thread about negatives, start a separate one!

CC, I really love Thailand too! nice thread.

I've a neater, sweeter maiden in a cleaner, greener land!

Like it, like it a lot.

On topic, i don't think the opinions posted on a forum can be considered representative of the whole demographic. I'd speculate that most expats love their lifestyle in Thailand. Its just that online forums, for one reason or another, tend to attract a more bitter section of society. These people would no doubt find a thing or two to moan about in heaven, should they ever get there.

I would say most expats who moans so much about thailand are just contradicting themselves. The prime reason for most expats liking thailand is the lawlessness and madness of it. This is what has attracted them in the first place. It makes you feel like going into an amusement park for adults. Is that true?

Anyway whinging is just as natural a human thing as breathing and eating.

i can't say i love Thailand but neither do i hate it. i try to ignore the zillion small and big things that irritate me in Thailand as i tried to ignore the zillion small and big things that irritated me in half a dozen other countries i lived. ignoring irritations are assisted by a good bottle of wine (alternatively a chat with good friends like Jack Daniels, Jim Beam or Johnny Walker).

alcoholics or recovering alcoholics please ignore my posting and have a glass of water or a cold shower instead! going out and throwing small pebbles at passing old ladies is supposed to help too (so they say).

:o

On balance, good & bad - Thailand is similar to many other countries. For reasons I won't go into in this thread I decided to make it my home & therefore one can asume that I love Thailand, with the good, the bad & the annoying! :o

well said young sound man :D

There are so many things that i love about Thailand.

Getting slapped in the face by the humidity, as you exit the airport in Bangkok, returning from Melbourne in July.

The price of food

The smiling faces

The smile on the face of the police office, as he accepts your donation for a speeding offense that you may or may not have committed. (but probably did)

Full service Gas Stations

Cold beer in the fridge in 7-11's

My Wife

The chaos in the supermarkets on a Sunday.

People who go out of their way to be helpful.

The hotel we stay at in Bangkok, who treat us like family.

Our home in Phuket.

There are some negatives also.

It is my choice to make this my home, so i will overlook them.

yes guys it is brilliant here as long as you have the money to afford the lifestyle you have chosen. I chose to live quietly with my Thai wife of many years, not too near to her family in a lovely house that we bought and extended in an area where I know of only two other farangs.

Despite all the doom and gloom posts on here I have found immigration helpfull, The police never hassle me.Never been asked more than the same price the Thai pay.

Yes life is is very very good here with cheap and delicious food etc. Archa beer at 25 baht a bottle is fine when I want a drink.

There are no farang oriented bars here so I never feel threatened by drunken farangs- nor drunken Thais.

My life has never been better !

I love it. No explanation given! :D

Lived in a dozen countries around the world, and I loved those as well (Peru, Afghanistan [honest, I loved it in the 1970's], Morocco, Spain, Indonesia [bali], etc.).

Here I am in Thailand, retired at age 55.

Wouldn't be anywhere else in the world. :o

McG

Hi All,

there is so much confusion in some posts these days about how people do not like this and dont like that.

I for one would like to clarify, myself as a falang, I love Thailand and all its quirks and character....

Me too 8 years with a 2 year return to the uk that was like a jail sentance ,every day i see something that reminds me i made the right decision making thailand my home,today it was these 2 tikes,.

post-41326-1191337187_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikethevigoman

My views on Thailand while overwhelmingly possitive are mixed.

I've had some great times in Thailand, I expect to have some great times in the future (starting with my next R&R). But I balance that with my experience and understanding of the pitfalls of life in Thailand.

No need to repeat them here but there are a large number of drawbacks, and risks to life in Thailand (that might easily be removed with a bit more enlightened government).

Love Thailand? Well I've had time to get to know the place, I've learned the language and I've done my best to get to understand the culture and life of Thailand - I like the place, I like it a lot, I respect it as one should something with so many hazards but no I don't love Thailand.

Edited by GuestHouse

Hi All,

-------------------------------

Surely, you meant farang... :D