Anyone Have Problems Tt&t Overseas Websites?

johngooding

Hi John,

I live in Chiang Mai and have been having all sorts of problems for the last few days. I cannot access some international websites, and I am having problems with FTP and incoming POP3 email traffic from abroad. I went into the TT&T office in Kad Suan Kaew in Chiang Mai about 2 weeks ago and they had a 'promotion' on a poster on the wall where they were upgrading all the 1024 accounts to 2048. They said mine would be upgraded over the next week or two. I think it has been upgraded now, and what an amazing difference I am experiencing...! I now cannot get any of my email, I cannot FTP any files (I get a speed of less than 1KB/Sec for this) and half the websites I am looking at (especialy https pages for online banking etc) time out.

I ran some speed tests this morning and I am getting 268.45 KB/Sec when I test the connection on the Maxnet site http://www.maxnet.co.th/speedtest) and about 46 KB/Sec when I test the connection speed on an international speed test site (http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/).

What this unfortunately says to me is that TT&T have increased the speed within Thailand at the expense of all international traffic. It is hardly fair to advertise and promote a 2048 connection when it is only within Thailand.

Mine's the opposite of the OP.

ThaiVisa nearly impossible, yahoo impossible. Gmail no problems but google slow (figure that one out). But many US based websites are coming through just fine. TT&T Maxnet. If it persists, I will call ---watch out maxnet! :o:D

Thanks for posts. At least reassuring that PC etc OK and not some nasty virus.

My ADSL speed as reported by my router has been increased, free of charge by TT &T. This increased potential speed is rarely achieved on actual speed checks.

So maybe its true, TT & T maybe do not have the bandwidth for the increased speed.

Any maybe they do share some TOT, cables, and so recent damage could be part of the picture.

Last 2 days better, especially early am. Evening time still slow.

As with most things in Thailand a bit of patience needed.. Mai bpen rai.....

I'm in Chiang Mai on Maxnet. Since the recent "upgrade" the service has been terrible. International web sites time out, FTP downloads about 1kb/sec and times out frequently. Video streaming, forget it; and streaming audio (radio stations) the sound is distorted with constant buffering.

Local speedtest is very good (1000/500) ish but international speedtest is usually about 150/400.

Before the "upgrade" it was enjoyable using the internet, now it's so frustrating. I wonder what will happen when the current "promotion" finishes and we all face a hefty increase in charges.

Edited by thaireg

I guess all Maxnet members have been or soon will be "upgraded" in speed, in my case supposedly tripled. No consultation or asking if we want it.

I assumed this was a permanent change and cost would not increase. I have not read the details of the "promotion" as I have not seen them in English.

If they do try and increase charge, I will be asking to go back to my 512/256 which seemed to work better than current situation.

If most people do that, maybe things go back to normal.

Move to TOT?

Unfortunately that is not an option for me. I applied to TOT a few months ago for an internet connection and was told that as I have a TT&T phone line so they could not provide a service. I suggested that I could cancel my TT&T phone line and get a TOT phone line, but they say that I am in "a TT&T area" and it can't be done.

As far as an increase in charges at the end of the promotion is concerned, I too have only seen the Thai document and have no definite news of whether the charges will be increased, it was only my supposition, we will all have to wait and see.

My guess is it's site-specific.

For example, I can download a service pack from M$oft and it averages a full 108 kBytes/sec (or about 86% if theoretical max) after 3 min (I have the 1M/512k acct), yet downloads from Google video (which you would expect would have equal or even greater available bandwidth) start out at about half that, then degrade rapidly, then terminate after a few minutes.

Go figure.

Edited by relayer

The last 2 days in Chiang Mai on maxnet it is impossible to access Thai visa, also google, yahoo and hotmail and many others.

A lot of both international and thai sites are OK although slow. It seems to be quite site specific

Mine's the opposite of the OP.

ThaiVisa nearly impossible, yahoo impossible. Gmail no problems but google slow (figure that one out). But many US based websites are coming through just fine. TT&T Maxnet. If it persists, I will call ---watch out maxnet! :o:D

Similar problems for me for the last 4 days. Last night, Thaivisa was so bad, I couldn't even post a question in this forum asking if anyone else had a problem! The page wouldn't load past the edit box - no "Add Reply" button! :D

Hotmail - useless, both from web access and Outlook Express (pop3?).

GMail - not too many problems, but Google not so good.

VisualRoute said lots of packets lost to Singapore, but OK to Hong Kong.

I was going to call TT&T tomorrow as I can hear the occasion crackle on the telephone line, but now I'll wait a bit.

You can add me to the list of Maxnet users with problems. I got my account in July and got great speed 800kbps down on a 1Mb line. In August it dropped in half. When I saw the guy that sold it to me he said next month when I complained. I then got the suprise upgrade to 1.5 Mb. Things were great until this past weekend. I can access very few websites now. I am in Ubon Ratchathani.

Same problem here in Pattaya.

But I´m not using Maxnet.

I´m using HiNet from TT&T and CAT. The last few days I had always problems to connect to many sites. Yesterday was O.K. but today the same shit again.

Oh, and by the way: I tried to call the Call center but I gave up after half an hour waiting.

Edited by prallo

Things seem to have settled down now here in Krabi. Past few days I think they have been messing about with their new international gateway. One day there was no international access for me. Then some days https would not work, my trading java app hadnt worked for ages. Today is trouble free though, so touch wood they have sorted out the mess. Smooth changeover doesnt seem to happen with TT&T.

An email would be a good idea to inform about scheduled changes. Maybe they do have a schedule on their website but all in Thai so.......But if the phone response is anything top go by Id be surprised if it was that organised.

i have had all the same problems that people have been discussing here. i am on maxnet Indy 1000 baht a month package in Pattaya. its been terrible, it actually took 1hour & 13 minutes to download 3 pop 3 emails yesterday from Yahoo.singapore!

the international websites would not connect and all the time i was displaying a download speed over over 2MB within Thailand and about 150-200KB outside. i have been using dial up when its been at its worst and even at only 45kbs on a modem its actually been faster than ADSL after 5 pm. i had noted my problems started a couple of weeks ago when i was told i was upgraded for free to twice the download speed. so today i went to Carrefour and switched to the PREMIER 1 Mb package and effectively halved my supposed official INDY download speed as Premier packages have not been upgraded yet. so now i am now back to a full fast effective interantional internet package with no problems at all with pop 3 mail or any connection problems at all. i was advised to do this by a maxnet technical engineer who said the problems were only associated with Indy accounts that had been upgraded for free. Premier and Biz accounts were unaffected by the problems that the INDY packages were having. the cost to get my service back to normal and as it was, if not slightly better than before? an extra 90 baht a month! now 1090 instead of 1000. i was in there this morning at 11am and they gave me new usernames, passwords etc and switched me over at 5pm. so i am a very happy chappy, my blood pressure has already gone down. i haven't explained it terribly well but i hope you get it.

good luck!

I can report the same result at timekeeper:

I went to the local TT&T office in Chiang Mai and they did admit that when they 'upgraded' all the 1MB home 'Indy' internet packages to 2MB packages, almost everyone was having problems with international traffic - the guy in the shop just smiled knowingly to me! I was even told the 'Indy' packages are intended for 'Thai surf' only.

The solution has been to change my speed back to a 1MB connection and pay an extra 90THB a month (1,090THB) for a Premier 1024/512 account! The Premier accounts ARE intended for "international surf".

They quickly switched me over to the new account, briefly trying to bill me twice - once for the old account to the end of the current billing period, and once for the new account. I pointed out my old account had not been working for 4 or 5 days, and they soon backed down...

Good luck everyone!

Living in Chiang Mai, Hang Dong and subscribed to the TOT Goldcyber package, 1024/512.

Since September 17th my speed tests on the http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest web site to Seattle have gone from 876 to less then 100.

Tonight on Sunday October 14th I have to report a new Thailand slow Internet record, download test 68 kbps (8.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Thinking it must be a bandwidth issue. On a few sleepless nights between the hours of 3 am to 8 am, I started the computer and my speeds were back to 876 and that is testing to anywhere internationally.

I am wondering if TOT will adjust my bill to be 10% of the 1,000 baht a month I pay them since I am only receiving 10% of the service.

Tried switching to TT&T but they do no provide service in my Moo Bahn, they claim no phone numbers available, even if they did I wonder if it would have help.

The solution has been to change my speed back to a 1MB connection and pay an extra 90THB a month (1,090THB) for a Premier 1024/512 account! The Premier accounts ARE intended for "international surf".

The Premier account that costs 1090 baht is 256/126

The 1mb Premier package is 3900 baht per month.

Anyways, these numbers like 256/126 etc mean very little, just keep switching packages until you find something you canm work with

source: http://www.maxnet.co.th/product_Premier.php

The Premier account that costs 1090 baht is 256/126

The 1mb Premier package is 3900 baht per month.

Anyways, these numbers like 256/126 etc mean very little, just keep switching packages until you find something you canm work with

source: <a href="http://www.maxnet.co.th/product_Premier.php" target="_blank">http://www.maxnet.co.th/product_Premier.php</a>

1024/512 is 1090 Baht. <a href="http://www.maxnet.co.th/promotion_inside.php?promtid=58" target="_blank">http://www.maxnet.co.th/promotion_inside.php?promtid=58</a>

It is the biggest scam I have experienced here. I was quite happy with my connection until they doubled the speed. Now it keeps cutting out, is bloody slow and my Viop conection is unusable. A total rip off.

Now it appears we have to pay more than ever to get back to where we were before the upgrade.

Edited by Lite Beer

• 2 weeks later...

I jumped on the wagon for that promotion. the stats? I can't get to international web sites more than maybe 30% of the time, kind of a pain in the butt, thai sites seem to be just fine, downloads from internet explorer/firefox go just fine, but file transfers are at about .02 kbps, according to one of the programs I was using. so far, I'm happy with the speed and terribly unimpressed by how unreliable it is. in many cases, sending smoke signals in a chain across northern thailand, laos, china, siberia, alaska, canada, and down into the lower '48 states would be faster, because even a snail moves faster than something that isn't moving.