Non-imm B From Wellington

Received my Non B, took 2 days after I sent the application.

The only problem was that they insisted on a criminal record check, which took 2 weeks to arrive from the NZ privacy commission. I told them I was working for a university and I understood criminal record check only applies to non-tertiary educators, but they say new rules say that it applies even to professors.

Thailand must be the only country that doesn't distinguish professors from teachers, but anyway I did what was asked and they were quick to grant it.

Edited by trader1

Received my Non B, took 2 days after I sent the application.

The only problem was that they insisted on a criminal record check, which took 2 weeks to arrive from the NZ privacy commission. I told them I was working for a university and I understood criminal record check only applies to non-tertiary educators, but they say new rules say that it applies even to professors.

Thailand must be the only country that doesn't distinguish professors from teachers, but anyway I did what was asked and they were quick to grant it.

Was that a single entry or a multiple visa ?

If it is a normal non immigrant B visa you only have a 90 day stay anyhow - if you need to take a vacation during that period you would require a re-entry permit from Immigration at a cost of 1,000 baht prior to travel. I suspect you will extend your stay one year at a time from immigration and after doing that you will require the same re-entry permit prior to any travel. If you plan frequent travel a multi entry type valid until the current permitted to stay date is available for 3,800 baht.

If it is a normal non immigrant B visa you only have a 90 day stay anyhow - if you need to take a vacation during that period you would require a re-entry permit from Immigration at a cost of 1,000 baht prior to travel. I suspect you will extend your stay one year at a time from immigration and after doing that you will require the same re-entry permit prior to any travel. If you plan frequent travel a multi entry type valid until the current permitted to stay date is available for 3,800 baht.

Thanks lopburi! So when I extend my visa (after getting a work permit) I can pay for a Multi entry while still in Thailand. Any potential hicups?

Just that you would not want to do that until you get the final extension of stay (multi months) as sometimes there is a one month extension first. The re-entry permit will only be valid until the current permitted to stay date.