Eel Farming

redbicycle

Did you have any type of Eel in mind ?

The only ones I've seen both in the markets & in the small ditches/klongs around my land are small & red colour.

Didnt look very apetizing to me.

I've eaten Eels I caught in England & they were delicious.

Where can i get the resources i need to start a eel farming in thailand ? thanks.

Assuming you're not talking about prerequisites like dosh, land and water but knowledge resources (often the most important), then I would suggest you do a good search of your area, starting with the Provincial Fishery Station, to find out who is already farming eels.

If there's nobody, then either there's a darned good reason for it and you're wasting your time, or you may have hit on a niche to exploit and you're going to have to be the pioneer. If there are already eel farmers, then I go and suggest you learn from them the pros and cons of the business. If your Thai sux, then you better get your wife or rellies interested in eels, as they'll be the ones who'll have to do most of the learning! :o

Good luck and report back to the Forum what you find.

PS:I have to admit i've never seen or heard of an eel farm in Thailand, but that's not to say they don't exist :D

Did you have any type of Eel in mind ?

The only ones I've seen both in the markets & in the small ditches/klongs around my land are small & red colour.

Didnt look very apetizing to me.

I've eaten Eels I caught in England & they were delicious.

The eels you've probably seen in the markets are the swamp eel - Fluta alba - and are not a true eel i.e. migratory, like our European eel.

However, they can taste just as good, especially in a lemon grass soup - tom yum pla lai - or chopped into pieces and stir-fried in a wok with whatever veg is to hand or "pad ped" style.

However, they can taste just as good, especially in a lemon grass soup - tom yum pla lai - or chopped into pieces and stir-fried in a wok with whatever veg is to hand or "pad ped" style.

or as smoked Eel. Friend of mine is doing that. Yummy :o

Seppl