Garden Advice Wanted

stupidfalang

Hi,

Just got myself a house…

Now I have to grow something in my garden, does anybody have some advice on this “Malaysia grass”. Also heard something about a plant that repels mosquito’s… any good garden firm or somebody who does gardens in the Pattaya area without charging the moon. Any advice is always welcome. Thanks.

Hi,

Just got myself a house…

Now I have to grow something in my garden, does anybody have some advice on this “Malaysia grass”. Also heard something about a plant that repels mosquito’s… any good garden firm or somebody who does gardens in the Pattaya area without charging the moon. Any advice is always welcome. Thanks.

Perhaps you're talking about Pyrethrum daisies ?

By the way its farang ... Just wait till SR John sees that ! :o

Naka.

Hi,

Just got myself a house…

Now I have to grow something in my garden, does anybody have some advice on this "Malaysia grass". Also heard something about a plant that repels mosquito's… any good garden firm or somebody who does gardens in the Pattaya area without charging the moon. Any advice is always welcome. Thanks.

Naka.

Scuse me butting in here

Although farang is spelt in Thai with an "r" symbol in the middle to the farang ear the sound of most Thais pronouncing farang does sound very much like an "L" sound.

So natural really that many farang transliterate as falang

I cringe when I hear farangs prononce the word farang with a hard resonating RRRR sound in the middle.

The only time when you will hear a Thai pronounce this way is on a News Program - bit like BBC Thai

For me for many years I spell farang like this - farlang - if you say it quick it has a much more natural sound.

Not meant to lecture - just an observation

Oh for the opening poster - Think of the future - I like trees - mango, banana etc something to grow up and give shade and character to a garden and you get to eat the fruit too!!

Hi,

Just got myself a house…

Now I have to grow something in my garden, does anybody have some advice on this "Malaysia grass". Also heard something about a plant that repels mosquito's… any good garden firm or somebody who does gardens in the Pattaya area without charging the moon. Any advice is always welcome. Thanks.

Naka.

Scuse me butting in here

Although farang is spelt in Thai with an "r" symbol in the middle to the farang ear the sound of most Thais pronouncing farang does sound very much like an "L" sound.

I cringe when I hear farangs prononce the word farang with a hard resonating RRRR sound in the middle.

The only time when you will hear a Thai pronounce this way is on a News Program - bit like BBC Thai

For me for many years I spell farang like this - farlang - if you say it quick it has a much more natural sound.

Oh for the opening poster - Think of the future - I like trees - mango, banana etc something to grow up and give shade and character to a garden and you get to eat the fruit too!!

But you did

Scuse me butting in here

Some one who writes "scuse" is telling you how to spell and pronounce, funny.

Maybe you should just try answering his original post and advise on Malaysia Grass or do you pronounce it "glass"

Scuse me butting in here

Some one who writes "scuse" is telling you how to spell and pronounce, funny.

Maybe you should just try answering his original post and advise on Malaysia Grass or do you pronounce it "glass"

well scuse me molon

yes, lemongrass - also marigolds - the essence is used in repellent as well. they are not very pretty flowers though.

wow - lucky you. i love to garden. go slow and make a nice one. expect about ten years for it to grow in nicely.

Hi,

Just got myself a house…

There are 2 types of lemon grass that are popular in Thailand. One is the normal lemon grass used in cooking called ka tai and the other which keeps the mosquitos away is citronella and called ka tai home. Both are very easy to grow.

The Malaysian grass called ya Malayu is a broad leaf grass and is very hardy. If you don't have a lot of time to "manicure" your lawn then this would be a very good choice. Grows very thick and if mowed to a couple inches looks nice.

rgds

Mosquitos love foliage to hide in, so whatever you plant, unless it's those plants already mentioned, is going to be a place for them to congregate. And a garden of just Citronella is going to be a pretty boring garden, IMO. Mosquitos are a fact of life here. So why not accept that and deal with them in the usual way ... a zapper or insect spray, or burn Citronella candles etc. Like you, I've just acquired a house with a smallish garden. I've planted Mango and Lime trees, some floral trees, pots with foliage and flowers on the patio area, and I'll be devoting the rear of the garden, next to the kitchen, to herbs, vegetable and tomato plants. Great weather for these items. Expect different bugs from Western countries, though. Caterpillars a plenty, flies that will bore into anything, and of course, the indomitable ants. A trip to a knowledgeable seed and chemical shop will sort these out. There are a few around, mainly in the suburbs. Can be difficult to find one that speaks English, so maybe take a Thai friend along. Oh ... and water!! I think the sound of water adds so much to a living space. A water bowl with a small pump, a few water plants and, of course, maybe a dozen or so small fish. If you have stagnant water with no fish you'll get mosquito lavae, for sure. And a 5000 baht fine if you're reported. So keep fish and you're ok. But to stop it smelling use the pump to oxygenate the water ... maybe 3 - 4 hours a day. Doesn't use a lot of electricity, and makes a great natural water sound. Be careful to get only a small pump, though. And best of luck with it, whatever you do. I had a garden design and construction company when I was in the UK. So having a small space I can 'play with' is fine here. Too hot to get down and dirty too often.

DIG

Edited by dressedingreen

Mosquitos love foliage to hide in, so whatever you plant, unless it's those plants already mentioned, is going to be a place for them to congregate. And a garden of just Citronella is going to be a pretty boring garden, IMO. Mosquitos are a fact of life here. So why not accept that and deal with them in the usual way ... a zapper or insect spray, or burn Citronella candles etc. Like you, I've just acquired a house with a smallish garden. I've planted Mango and Lime trees, some floral trees, pots with foliage and flowers on the patio area, and I'll be devoting the rear of the garden, next to the kitchen, to herbs, vegetable and tomato plants. Great weather for these items. Expect different bugs from Western countries, though. Caterpillars a plenty, flies that will bore into anything, and of course, the indomitable ants. A trip to a knowledgeable seed and chemical shop will sort these out. There are a few around, mainly in the suburbs. Can be difficult to find one that speaks English, so maybe take a Thai friend along. Oh ... and water!! I think the sound of water adds so much to a living space. A water bowl with a small pump, a few water plants and, of course, maybe a dozen or so small fish. If you have stagnant water with no fish you'll get mosquito lavae, for sure. And a 5000 baht fine if you're reported. So keep fish and you're ok. But to stop it smelling use the pump to oxygenate the water ... maybe 3 - 4 hours a day. Doesn't use a lot of electricity, and makes a great natural water sound. Be careful to get only a small pump, though. And best of luck with it, whatever you do. I had a garden design and construction company when I was in the UK. So having a small space I can 'play with' is fine here. Too hot to get down and dirty too often.

DIG

Take a bow, that was such sensible advice that it needs some recognition.

Thank you for those sensible words,

Your Bloomin' Marvellous.

Ken ( I was lucky I inherited my mother's green thumb)

There is a ground cover plant here that has broad leaves and small yellow flowers, It does not need much water, does not need shade or sun it just grows and knits the soil together. I have about 1 rai of the stuff around the house, for minimum care nothing beats it.

I Have no idea what it is called but believe it is a wild plant that grows along the side of the road so it costs nothing to cut it and stick a few pieces in the ground and in no time at all it becomes a green carpet with little yellow flowers.