What Is Bangkok Like On National Holidays

Mr_Pedantic

Thinking of taking my daughters to Bangkok next Thursday(12th Aug) Queen's Birthday National Holiday. Anyone know if it's business as usual everywhere or are all the places of interest closed. Grand Palace etc. Or is it the opposite, everywhere open and packed solid?

It's usually business as usual if you're planning to go out to the department stores and etc...

As for small shops they might be closed. I would think that most would be taking their family out. It should be the same as any other day since Friday is again a working day.

Hope you have a great time with your family.

Depends on which day the holiday falls, if its close to or on a weekend, you can find the city deserted as people all rush to go home for the long weekend. If its a thursday you might find them taking a 4 day weekend. If this happens its great!! Driving round the city on holidays is awesome, no traffic, no cops around, I love it! :D hehe

Oh and the shopping is ok too :o

In my experience if the bank holiday is only for one day, as with next Thursday, then Bangkok is pretty busy. Avoid shopping centres, Macdonalds and MBK etc. like the plague. On the contrary, if the bank holiday is for more than a day then many Bangkok Thais take a holiday and flee the big city, so it's pretty empty, like at SongKran.