Any Hsbc Premier Service

Hi Ive just learned that as a HSBC customer, I can now apply for their HSBC Premier service , are there any Premier service

account holders here on TV , who can tell me what the benefits of this account would be for some one as my self

living in Thailand..? along with any other comments about the HSBC Premier service ...

Thanks TL

HSBC has just recently changed all account benefits and charges and you have to maintain the minimum balance for the premier account or you will be charged a monthly fee, if the balance remains lower than the required amount for a certain period premier benefits are lost. We have a premier account with them and found them to be very good at the time of opening it, prior to our move over here. You are allocated a personal relationship manager, the other benefits I am now not sure of since the recent changes, could'nt be bothered to read all the bumph, but their website will give details, one point is interest rates are higher for premier.

I became a premier account holder when I invested the proceeds from the sale of my flat. You have to have a minimum balance or a huge mortgage with HSBC to qualify for the premier service free. Otherwise its a monthly fee.

I joined in the UK but I get the same service worldwide. They have opened a savings account for me in Bkk as well. They also opened a UK account for my wife when she arrived in May and gave her premier status free.

The benefits are free transfers (I am paid in UK for work done in Thailand). I can keep all my assets in the UK leaving me free to pick up my suitcase and walk away from LOS if it all goes pear shaped!!!! Also the internet banking is secure and excellent.

Having a personal manager is good as in the UK you have to talk to an anonymous person in a call centre in Mumbai generally.

Overall I have been impressed with the service apart from the International Division who have taken three months to set up my Bkk account.

HSBC Premier tariffs and info

If you download the pdf it should have all the minimum balance and charges etc.

I think (from memory) overall balance for Premier should be 65k (UK pounds), am not positive though.

Your relationship manager will probably be based in Hong kong and you do get a banking service where real people actually talk to you.

Internet banking is pretty straight forward and well laid out.

I have found the personal manager thing to be a bit of strange experience . The first one really tried to push mutual funds. The second one tried again, even sent an almost threatening email (in Dec surprise surprise) obviously trying for an end of year bonus. The third one was very quiet and then suddenly disappeared and actually I haven't been allocated another although there is a woman in the HK office who seems to answer emails. But I am quite happy to be left alone. Actually I might just drop them an email now I think about it to ask who my personal manager is.

I have it in the UK. Minimum salary was about 70k pa but this was in the City so the salary / bonus thing was understood as was the need to keep money offshore etc.

I put nothing in nowadays and certainly do not maintain a large balance but I still have the account and facilities. I rate it very good amongst their competitors and I pay no fees, whatever you are supposed to pay, my arrangement is no fees.

I have Premier status in USA and Thailand. The benefits are about the same as other banks for high end customers but the service in Thailand is quite good. I just contact the Premier office and they take care of my needs with a minimum of effort on my part. The USA Premier Center is not as good but my personal representative is responsive to my needs. If you travel frequently between countries as I do, HSBC Premier is a real advantage as they will set up your accounts in advance and tansfer of funds is easy and fast.

HSBC say that you can withdraw money from ATM's abroad without charge. This is true but if you withdraw money from am ATM in Thailand you will only get the offshore exchange rate. So in loosing 5-6 baht per £ it's more expensive than paying the charges of other banks who give you the onshore rate, or of course using a Nationwide account which gives free withdrawalls and the onshore exchange rate.

edited just to say I have an on line saver account and the interest rate is as good as I could find, aslong as you don't want to withdraw any of your money. I was told the only way not to loose too much interest if you need to withdraw any is to transfer all of your money into another on line saver account on the 1st of the month as soon as your interest has been paid at HSBC, take out what you need, then transfer the money back to your HSBC account on the first day of the next month. Your second account will then pay you interest on your money for that month, even if it is at a lower rate.

Edited by sumrit

Thanks sumrit ..( or of course using a Nationwide account which gives free withdrawalls and the onshore exchange rate.)Good Point

Now here's the problem... with no UK home address ( only a home address in Thailand ) I don't think its possible to

apply for that account ..?

TL

Thanks sumrit ..( or of course using a Nationwide account which gives free withdrawalls and the onshore exchange rate.)Good Point

Now here's the problem... with no UK home address ( only a home address in Thailand ) I don't think its possible to

apply for that account ..?

TL

ThaiLife, do you have a mailing address in the UK? I also live in Thailand but I use my daughters address as a mailing address in the UK. When I went back to the UK for a six week holiday in July this year I went to the Nationwide and explained why I wanted to open an account (living in Thailand, free banking, onshore rate, etc). I just had to show my passport as proof of ID and a letter addressed to me at my daughters (I used a credit card statement that gets sent there) andI was able to open an account there and then. I was told by somebody that to get the onshore rate the debit card you get must be a 'Visa' card so thats what I asked for and thats what they gave me. Not sure if this info is true or not but I didn't want to take any chances.