"retirement Visa"

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I'm headed for Korat, the Bakersfield (California) of Thailand  :o

Mgnewman,

I have a good friend in Bakersfield and have spent many weeks visiting there over the years... And having been to Korat, I can't beleive that you would SLAMM Korat with such a statement... Just kidding...

Pianoman

I actually find the two cities (Korat and Bakersfield) to be remarkably similar: flat, hot, surrounded by agriculture, close to national parks, shunned by tourists, down-home music, etc.

And, when people who have never been to Thailand ask me what Korat is like, I just say "Bakersfield" and they nod their heads.

Works for me!

:o

Part of the delay was due to my sending in the incorrect processing fee; something that was not really clear from the instructions they sent to me via e-mail.

What exactly did you send in -- and what did they really want? Anything to do with multi-entry?

(I note you had to send in the additional $75 for the multi-entry visa. But I had thought this was just the option you wanted, not a requirement----)?

Oh, Buck Owens says there's no Crystal Palace in Korat. :o

Part of the delay was due to my sending in the incorrect processing fee; something that was not really clear from the instructions they sent to me via e-mail.

What exactly did you send in -- and what did they really want? Anything to do with multi-entry?

(I note you had to send in the additional $75 for the multi-entry visa. But I had thought this was just the option you wanted, not a requirement----)?

I first sent $50, but they wanted $75 more saying that you had to get multi-entry if you wanted a retirement visa.

Oh, Buck Owens says there's no Crystal Palace in Korat. :o

Ah, but there is Baan Korat....

Hi all. This is only my second post to this forum but thought I could provide some up-to-date info regarding the Non-Immigrant Type O-A Multiple Entry Visa for those of you applying in the U.S. I reside in Tampa Florida (Honorary Counsel in Miami) but chose to deal directly with the Embassy in Washington DC after receiving some questionable information from the Honorary Counsel's Office. The Consular Officer (at the Embassy) asked me what I was going to do in Thailand, to which I replied RETIRE. He asked my age (59) and then asked if I had reviewed the Embassy website (I had). He then asked me to send in the following:

1. Passports

2. Application form w/photos (3 original forms)

3. Biographic form (original + 2 copies)

4. Medical Certificate (notarized original + 2 copies)

5. Criminal Background Check (certified original + 2 copies)

6. Latest Bank Statement (showing at least $20K original + 2 copies)

7. Money Order to cover costs

I also enclosed a Express Mail envelope and preaddressed label, and Thai Marriage Certificate (original). I sent the package out via overnight Express Mail on 1/27/05 and received our passports with Multiple Entry Non-Immigrant Type O-A visas on 2/5/05.

I found the whole process pretty easy.

I assume my wife and I will be good for a 1 year stay in Thailand (reporting in to Immigration) WITHOUT having to make the much talked about Visa Run every 90 days.

We will be leaving from Tampa on 2/26 for Bangkok and then on to Udon Thani where we will begin the task of building our home. Any comments, suggestions, advise, or questions would be appreciated.

Ditto here in N.O.,Mike...No notarization even mentioned,and I asked also just to be sure. If memory serves me correctly,Redwood also said that Portland OR doesnt either.....

As to fdimike's 90 day "visa run"

question,the answer is no,but you must report your current address every 90 days,to Immigration or(if no Immigration office in your locale) the local police,whichever applies.This topic is covered extensively on several threads here for further details....

My Passport just arrived from Houston via FedEx. It has a Non-Immigrant O-A multiple entry visa in it, but it says nothing about "retirement". Is that normal?

Is there something specific that I need to do when I arrive at Immigration in Bangkok?

The visa says that it "must be utilized before Feburary 06 2006". I thought these things usually had to be utilized within 90 days?

In any event, I'm thrilled to finally have it in hand and can't wait to depart on April 5th!

My Passport just arrived from Houston via FedEx. It has a Non-Immigrant O-A multiple entry visa in it, but it says nothing about "retirement". Is that normal?

Is there something specific that I need to do when I arrive at Immigration in Bangkok?

The visa says that it "must be utilized before Feburary 06 2006". I thought these things usually had to be utilized within 90 days?

In any event, I'm thrilled to finally have it in hand and can't wait to depart on April 5th!

You have a multi entry so the 90 day entry restriction doesn't apply. On arrival BKK and reaching the immigtation counter make sure he gives you a full one year stay then and there.

You have a multi entry so the 90 day entry restriction doesn't apply. On arrival BKK and reaching the immigtation counter make sure he gives you a full one year stay then and there.

Thanks to Dr. Pat and others who guided me through this process. I must have seemed awfully thick at times. Too long a bureaucrat I suppose -- always making things more complicated than they really are.

Thanks to Dr. Pat and others who guided me through this process. I must have seemed awfully thick at times. Too long a bureaucrat I suppose -- always making things more complicated than they really are.

You'll be at home with the local bureaucracy then :D it is somethin' else :D Good luck with the move. :D

I first sent $50, but they wanted $75 more saying that you had to get multi-entry if you wanted a retirement visa.

Now, that is curious. Multi-entry O-As used to be the exception, not the rule. But should be well-worth the extra $75, if for no other reason than if you find yourself unable to make your first journey to Thailand within 90 days after issue (which is the single entry visa 'must use' duration).

I liked Korat. Stayed there a few years ago at a very nice hotel. But not to let building codes impede profit, it collapsed two weeks later after the four extra floors they illegally added took their revenge. (But, seriously, I did like Korat, and the wife is from there).

Oh, Roy Clarke says Korat............. oh,never mind. :o

Medical Certificate (notarized original + 2 copies)

How did the Embassy define "notarize?"

I doubt your doctor went to the Notary's office to have his signature witnessed(?). So, what did you need to do to 'officiate' your submissions?

Thanks. Embassy may be my path of least resistance after your example.

Mine says the same thing. However mine expires in 90 days. We are just as thrilled to have this out of our way. We depart for Bangkok on 1 March & then it will be on to Udon Thani to build the house.

Mike

Medical Certificate (notarized original + 2 copies)

How did the Embassy define "notarize?"

I doubt your doctor went to the Notary's office to have his signature witnessed(?). So, what did you need to do to 'officiate' your submissions?

Thanks. Embassy may be my path of least resistance after your example.

They wanted the Dr's signature notarized. I am a Notary Public which made life easy for all concerned.

Jim I just retired from the Federal Government (15 years + 20 in the Air Force) and I found dealing with the Emabassy much easier than with the Honorary Counsel in Miami who insisted I had to show them proof of my retirement. I retired 12/31/04 and that proof of my retirement is just now arriving which would have forced us to push back our travel plans. The Emabassy was not interested in "proof" of retirement and only asked for the documents I listed in my previous post.

Best of luck

Mike

The Houston Consulate didn't ask for anything to be notarized.

However, I did submit proof of retirement, which was also my proof of income. They accepted a letter from my personnel office with and estimated pension amount along with a future, but confirmed, retirement date.

However, I did submit proof of retirement, which was also my proof of income. They accepted a letter from my personnel office with and estimated pension amount along with a future, but confirmed, retirement date.

What did you submit as proof of retirement? Do you think DFAS statements would qualify?

What did you submit as proof of retirement? Do you think DFAS statements would qualify?

I just asked my personnel office to prepare a letter showing my retirement date and estimated amounts. I had already applied for retirement with a date of 31 March 2005. I think any "official" letter showing a set date and amounts would suffice. I sent the consulate the letter via e-mail in advance of my application and asked if it would be OK. They responded right away and said it would be fine.

I just asked my personnel office to prepare a letter showing my retirement date and estimated amounts. I had already applied for retirement with a date of 31 March 2005. I think any "official" letter showing a set date and amounts would suffice. I sent the consulate the letter via e-mail in advance of my application and asked if it would be OK. They responded right away and said it would be fine.

Well, it sure sounds like things are falling into place for you. Hope it continues that way and looking forward to your reports on life in Bakersfield!! :o

Ditto here in N.O. again,Mike.

I had a retire date of Dec.31,We "early outs"(I got to go 2 and !/2 yrs. early) had our retirement paper signing meeting on Nov. 9 at which time I was given my CSRS annuity estimate,thus getting my "official" letter showing the amount then.

Even though I easily qualify just from my cash available(i.e.at least $20K),the annuity estimate was fine in and of itself to prove that I indeed am"officially" retired.

I think Im much better off with this than having to run around and having to notarize all that crap!,not to mention the extra cost involved....

I still don't see how you would get a doctor's statement notarized unless you take the doctor to the notary or vice versa. I guess the notary could certify that copies of the doctor's statement appeared to be genuine, but when the consulate has both the original and the copies, what would be the point?

I think the issue here might be that having a document "notarized" in the US may mean something different from what it implies in other places. In the US the purpose of a notary is to certify the identity of a person signing a document or to certify the bona fides of a copy.

Than again, I don't know that much about it....

I still don't see how you would get a doctor's statement notarized unless you take the doctor to the notary or vice versa. I guess the notary could certify that copies of the doctor's statement appeared to be genuine, but when the consulate has both the original and the copies, what would be the point?

I think the issue here might be that having a document "notarized" in the US may mean something different from what it implies in other places. In the US the purpose of a notary is to certify the identity of a person signing a document or to certify the bona fides of a copy.

The European notary system is somewhat ' heavier ' than the US system.

The Notary is simply attesting to the Dr's signature not the diagnosis. In my case I notarized the Dr's signature (I am a Notary Public) essentially attesting to the fact that the Dr. signed the certificate, and not just anyone.

Mike

Ditto here in N.O. again,Mike.

I had a retire date of Dec.31,We "early outs"(I got to go 2 and !/2 yrs. early) had our retirement paper signing meeting on Nov. 9 at which time I was given my CSRS annuity estimate,thus getting my "official" letter showing the amount then.

Even though I easily qualify just from my cash available(i.e.at least $20K),the annuity estimate was fine in and of itself to prove that I indeed am"officially" retired.

I think Im much better off with this than having to run around and having to notarize all that crap!,not to mention the extra cost involved....

I agree with you regarding the not having to Notarize the docs. It sure looks like this is a "crap shoot" with each Consulate/Honorary Consulate doing things their own way and the Embassy still another. Kind of a mirror image of what life is going to be like in Thailand. Sounds like fun as long as you can keep your wits about you.

Mike

They did not give you a so called retirement visa. A retirement visa is for age 55 plus and Bt 800,000 on the bank or retirement income of this amount .You received a O-A 1 year visa which expires on Feb. 06 2006. So when you enter Thailand do not forget to report to the Immigration very latest 90 days after the visa was issued. ||| So have to report to the immigration around May 3. This is for address notification purposes. They will give you adress notification papers which you have to send to the immigration office every 90 days.

Have fun

Wow,. alot of stuff... Let me throw my two cents in since I have just completed the paper work. The 800,000 Baht was just a bank statement with a stamp and signature. The med is a form that states you don't have some certain diseases, the thingo on your non criminal backround was a print out from the local office of the coppers. There was an adendum to the app form. Passport with more than 1.5 years on the time. that was about it! Of, the med form was in thai and English. Leprosy, TB, Elephabntiasis, Drug Addection, Third Step of Syphilis. The form came off gthe

http://www.thaiembdc.org/consular/visa/retirementvisa.html ant then just printed alol the forms for me. Pieca of cake. Same Same for getting a DL which is said to be a really good idea. heard that the DL is sort of like a Thai ID Card for farang cause it will have you passport number and visa info etc.

Needless to say I am very excited. I will arrive with my visa etc but will need to make a couple trips home to sort out all the things. I've dedcided to buy a place in Thailand and rent out my condo at home untill I'm totally sure it is the right move then I divest entirly. BTW I have thought this thingo thru and will imerse myself buy furnishing my new crib with Thai style stuff. I have alot of Thai decorum at home now......Oh Yeah, you just have to show the 800,000 baht for the VISA APPLICATION each year. If you don't/can't keep that kind of money iun Thailand just fill up the account for the visa check.

Edited by HumbleFlyer

They did not give you a so called retirement visa. A retirement visa is for age 55 plus and Bt 800,000 on the bank or retirement income of this amount .You received a O-A 1 year visa which expires on Feb. 06 2006. So when you enter Thailand do not forget to report to the Immigration very latest 90 days after the visa was issued. ||| So have to report to the immigration around May 3. This is for address notification purposes. They will give you adress notification papers which you have to send to the immigration office every 90 days.

Have fun

This post is absurd....Contrary to anything and everything Ive SEEN/READ with my own 2 eyes,either here or on MFA links.TROLL?,Gurus?, Anyone?