Extension Of Stay Based On Married To Thai Woman

I recently had a renewal of extension of stay based on married to Thai woman.

It was a piece of cake because I was grandfathered last year and I had all my paperwork well done.

The new rule was that we had to take some new photos at home showing us together; the front of our

house and all rooms in the house was required.

They wanted 6 new photos and told us to come back in a week with the new photos.

They told us also to be prepared for the same rules next year (2008) renewal with deposit of not less

than 400.000 baht at least 3 month before the application but without any new photos of cause.

That’s it...Good Luck. :o

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new rule was that we had to take some new photos at home showing us together; the front of our

They wanted 6 new photos and told us to come back in a week with the new photos.

Thank you for the information... but geez... do they really need see a couple in the bathroom? :o That seems a bit more than excessive.

They told us also to be prepared for the same rules next year (2008) renewal with deposit of not less

than 400.000 baht at least 3 month before the application but without any new photos of cause.

So what is the process if obtaining 1-year visa extension based on married to Thai woman. (1) Find your girl and get married at local amphur office (legal Thai marriage); (2) If one entered on something other than non-imm visa, go to some Embassy/counsulate and obtain non-imm visa based on marriage documentation; (3) Return to LOS and transfer-in your B400,000; (4) Near the expiration of your non-imm visa, go to local immigration office with marriage docs, bank book, bank statements, bank letter, photos of self and joint housing photos and apply for your "married man's" 1 year extension.

Is that basically the process? Any steps I missed? I may finally breakdown and tie the knot so just want to see if I got this down :o

So what is the process if obtaining 1-year visa extension based on married to Thai woman. (1) Find your girl and get married at local amphur office (legal Thai marriage); (2) If one entered on something other than non-imm visa, go to some Embassy/counsulate and obtain non-imm visa based on marriage documentation; (3) Return to LOS and transfer-in your B400,000; (4) Near the expiration of your non-imm visa, go to local immigration office with marriage docs, bank book, bank statements, bank letter, photos of self and joint housing photos and apply for your "married man's" 1 year extension.

Is that basically the process? Any steps I missed? I may finally breakdown and tie the knot so just want to see if I got this down :o

As a new applicant , money in the bank is not an option. You would need a monthly income of 40,000 Baht. This could be your income, Thai wifes income or a combination of both.

As a new applicant , money in the bank is not an option. You would need a monthly income of 40,000 Baht. This could be your income, Thai wifes income or a combination of both.

Humm...interesting. Rules change so fast can't keep track. So this income can be from legal working in LOS by the man or foreign pension/investment income. Is the documentation similiar to a retirement visa extension if income from outside LOS, i.e., are embassy letters acceptable documentation?

Humm...interesting. Rules change so fast can't keep track. So this income can be from legal working in LOS by the man or foreign pension/investment income. Is the documentation similiar to a retirement visa extension if income from outside LOS, i.e., are embassy letters acceptable documentation?

Yes letter from your embassy.

I rescently "tied the knot" myself and went after this to penang. I got a one year non-o but mine is 4 entries. Every tre month i have to go to immigration (ilive on samui,is close, no problem) and get a stamp for free.

All i brought to penang was this, (a month ago):

1. Marriage certificate

2. Copy of my thai wifes id-card (signed)

3. 2 passportsize photos of myself (dont smile!)

4. My passport

I have a friend working in the immigration-office and he say its no problem. They do the stamp every tre months and it is for free. This is also what the agent i used in Malaysia said.

I have two friends living in Phuket and both of them have the same visa as i have, and for many years they have to go to ranong for the stamp because immigration in phuket dont do it. Apperently all these immigration-offices have different rules? I dont know.

Anyway, if you do live near a immigration that do the stamp, this is a good option since it dont require any income or money in the bank. Just show that you are married and thats it.

What stamps are being entered into your passport? I fear you may be on a very slippery slope if you do not, in fact, have an extension of stay.

Strange indeed . I was told by a countrymen living in the South that he did something similar like this .

I thought he interpretated it wrongly , i didn't had the chance to ask him more about it .

he just paid them (imm officers some money) and that was it , on a multiple .

???? never heard about it , and I think even not legal , similar perhaps as the poster mentioned .

A bit confusing though , and indeed a slippery slope .

What stamps are being entered into your passport? I fear you may be on a very slippery slope if you do not, in fact, have an extension of stay.

It would also be useful to know how old he is.

What's the betting he has a retirement visa which is AFAIK the only visa class that allows a 12 month stay without an extension.

EDIT Nope, his profile says he's 34. Definately need to know what's going on here and why I can't do it :o

Edited by Crossy

Mattias.

If what you are telling us is correct you are staying here illegally and will end up in big trouble.

If you have a multi entry Non Imm O you can enter as many times as you want but MUST go over the border at least every 90 days. I hope for your sake you are mistaken about what you actually have.

Any one else reading your post please disregard it as it is totaly wrong.

Edited by Lite Beer

Mattias.

If what you are telling us is correct you are staying here illegally and will end up in big trouble.

If you have a multi entry Non Imm O you can enter as many times as you want but MUST go over the border at least every 90 days. I hope for your sake you are mistaken about what you actually have.

It is a multi-entry. And i have like i said two friend from phuket, and immigration there dont do the entry stamps. They have to go to the border.

I am not ilegal yet, and wont be because i will check one more time before its to late. But i ran into this immigration-man today again and ask him if he is sure. He said:yes. Dont worry. I worked for 15 years and im SURE!!!

I havent yet got any stamps but it will be interresting.

So information. Im 34 years old. The visa is a non immigrant type "o" with 4 entries. I just got it. But according to both the agent in Malaysia witch i asked tre times to be sure, and the immigrationofficer here in samui witch by now i think i asked 10 times, i dont have to leave the country. Just immigration every 3 months.

What makes me ask so many times, and even bringin it up here is already mentioned friends in phuket. Anyone with a similar situation in samui would be interresting to hear from.

Also, i could not worry about this since i always ask immigration what to do. If anything is illegal i dont know what i could do different? Im no visaexpert. But i always go to immigration in good time before the visa expires and ask what to do. And then follow the instructions.

Allthough the reaction here on the forum makes me think twice. But i couldnt possible go there and ask again, they would trow me out, hahaha.

Mattias.

It is a multi-entry. And i have like i said two friend from phuket, and immigration there dont do the entry stamps. They have to go to the border.

I am not ilegal yet, and wont be because i will check one more time before its to late. But i ran into this immigration-man today again and ask him if he is sure. He said:yes. Dont worry. I worked for 15 years and im SURE!!!

So information. Im 34 years old. The visa is a non immigrant type "o" with 4 entries. I just got it. But according to both the agent in Malaysia witch i asked tre times to be sure, and the immigrationofficer here in samui witch by now i think i asked 10 times, i dont have to leave the country. Just immigration every 3 months.

What makes me ask so many times, and even bringin it up here is already mentioned friends in phuket. Anyone with a similar situation in samui would be interresting to hear from.

Also, i could not worry about this since i always ask immigration what to do. If anything is illegal i dont know what i could do different? Im no visaexpert. But i always go to immigration in good time before the visa expires and ask what to do. And then follow the instructions.

Allthough the reaction here on the forum makes me think twice. But i couldnt possible go there and ask again, they would trow me out, hahaha.

Sorry but you do not have 4 entries. You can make as many entries as you like , each one being a maximum of 90 days.

Again you will have to a visa run before the 90 days are up. If you do your last run just before it expires you will get a total of 15 months.

If you are correct and listen to Samui Immigration you will be in trouble. That is the law.

Only trying to help.

Mattias.

Sorry but you do not have 4 entries. You can make as many entries as you like , each one being a maximum of 90 days.

Again you will have to a visa run before the 90 days are up. If you do your last run just before it expires you will get a total of 15 months.

If you are correct and listen to Samui Immigration you will be in trouble. That is the law.

Only trying to help.

Thanks. No it says "number of entries M", your right, sorry.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

I just dont see why both the agent and immigration would lie and tell me i dont have to go to the border. I have had many different visas, tourist, non-b, and now non o. I been using the immigration in many years and know them very well. And there advise has always been right.

But for sure i will go back there one more time in good time before my 90 days expire. You convinced me of that.

Still strange though........

Any samuiguy here on the forum that have similar visas?? Im getting really confused.

And are Samui immigration asking for any payment for this 'service' ??

Very strange if not..

Indeed very strange. They claim its for free. :o

Maybe they think you have a years extension. The 90 day reports will be free.

What you have requires a border run every 90 days.

Edited by Lite Beer

Maybe they think you have a years extension.

I am thinking the same.

Mattias53, did the immigration officer see the visa in your passport when he told you that you don’t have to leave the country?

You say “one-year visa” and mean the multiple-entry non-O visa, but some people hear “one-year visa” and mean an annual extension.

--

Maestro

Maybe they think you have a years extension.

I am thinking the same.

Mattias53, did the immigration officer see the visa in your passport when he told you that you don't have to leave the country?

You say "one-year visa" and mean the multiple-entry non-O visa, but some people hear "one-year visa" and mean an annual extension.

--

Maestro

No. Ive not yet showed my visa. I went there before i left for malasia. Whole story:

I had a non-b since i do have a company. But i was on the low tax (1500/month, and i not have employees) so i had double entrie. Immigration said that since we now are married, me and my thaiwife, i should bring the marriage licence or whatever its called to ambassy on my next visarun.

I will then get a Non-o visa with multiple-entie that can be stamped every 3 months in immigration. I was already here confused, because entry for me (not englich orig) means border.

Anyway, did what they said, and asked my visa agent in-penang what the rules really are. Do i have to leave every 3 months since its entries? He said no. I ask again and he still say no. If you live in samui you only go to immigration. And, he realy seem to know what he talk about. He actually got a bit offended at the end because i asked over and over again and he specificly told me that, i know for sure, you go only to immigration every 3 months. And he said actually:See you next year!!!

Part 2 is that i went straight back to immigration, (without my passport though) and asked them: "are you really sure that this is done here?" and they laughed and said "yes". My suspision is from the entry thing, like i said, entry for me is border. I might be confusing it a bit with my not to god englich.

And part 3: Today at the mall i again run i to thois immigrationguy and my wife is getting embaressed since i ask here to convert all these conversations, when i ask one more time he smiles and say, "dont worry". I worked with immigration 15 years. I know you already 3 years (wich is true) and never lie. I am 100 % sure. After 90 days you come to me and i give you a stamp. And everything is legal, everything is free. FOR SURE.

Then i come home and read the posts here and now i have to say im really confused.

Not that i dont beleive you all know what you talk about, at the same time i have to think immigrationofficers (helped me before) and agents in malasia that have it for at living also know what they talk about.............Probably the one who know the least is me myself.

Realy confusing....

Quick question for all of the posters that have been asked to provide happy couple photos: Do you have Thai children?

As I understand it, photos have always been a requirement for childless couples (albeit not often enforced), but waived for those who've had children.

Hey guys

I have a question about this non-

O married to thai one year visa. I'm a canadian guy ,46, in chiang mai , just legally registered with my thai wife at the local Ampher here. I entered the country on a tourist visa, now expired. I want to apply for the one year(multiple entry?) visa based on status as married to a thai. It is a first time application. Do you know or know anyone who knows what docs I we will need to be successful? I have a bank account, and a house in my wife's name.And where should we do it? Penang? Another consulate? The immigration dept. in Bkk?

All details appreciated

Jim

It appears you can not meet the 40k monthly income extension requirements of Immigration so a multi entry non immigrant O visa appears to be your best option and presently Penang is probably the best place in the area to obtain that. Take marriage certificate/copy and copy of wife ID card that she has signed/dated and account paperwork - if possible have wife make the trip with you as a vacation. Although not likely to be asked for wife home register would also be good to have available.

Quick question for all of the posters that have been asked to provide happy couple photos: Do you have Thai children?

As I understand it, photos have always been a requirement for childless couples (albeit not often enforced), but waived for those who've had children.

I have and when I went to show them some pics the first time I ever applied in CM 3 years ago, they laughed and said "put them away" :o Never had to show any when applying in CM or Phuket, although always best to be on-guard :D

Hey guys

O married to thai one year visa. I'm a canadian guy ,46, in chiang mai , just legally registered with my thai wife at the local Ampher here. I entered the country on a tourist visa, now expired. I want to apply for the one year(multiple entry?) visa based on status as married to a thai. It is a first time application. Do you know or know anyone who knows what docs I we will need to be successful? I have a bank account, and a house in my wife's name.And where should we do it? Penang? Another consulate? The immigration dept. in Bkk?

All details appreciated

Jim

Hey. I just got it. In the begining of this post i tell already what you need:

Marriage lincence

copy of wifes id card (signed)

two passport photos

your passport.

Thats it. Atleast if you use an agent. I myself used an agent called eddy chia (www.banananewguesthoese.com) and he was very good.

Others on the forum recomend other agents which is probably fine to.

This voisa is easy to get and does not require any money at all. No money in the bank. No monthly income. This i know for a fact since i got it 1 month ago in penang and what i stated above is all i showed. FOR SURE.

It was a piece of cake because I was grandfathered last year and I had all my paperwork well done.

That’s it...Good Luck. :o

Hello Billion,

good info, that . . .

which immigration office did you get your extension at ?

Mike

Hey guys

All details appreciated

Jim

Marriage lincence

two passport photos

your passport.

Thats it. Atleast if you use an agent. I myself used an agent called eddy chia (www.banananewguesthoese.com) and he was very good.

This voisa is easy to get and does not require any money at all. No money in the bank. No monthly income. This i know for a fact since i got it 1 month ago in penang and what i stated above is all i showed. FOR SURE.

Hello mattias33,

Thanks for the Interesting information. your weblink does not work it should be www.banananewguesthouse.com.

I am in a very similar situation.

Live in samui, married to Thai. My first visa was a "non-imigrant B'' and when that expired i got a "non-immigrant O". After the first 90 days of this "O" visa I went to the immigration office in Nathon (Samui) as I had been told that I did not have to leave the every 90 days. But the immigration office told me that I could only get my 90 day stamp there if I could show an income from outside Thailand (as on an O visa work is not permitted). In the end it was easier just to leave and re-enter the country (usually Burma). So I have always had to leave and re-enter the country every 90 days..... Now about to do my last 90 day stamp in Burma 1 day before the visa expires then I will need to renew my O visa and the whole process starts again....I originally obtained my O visa in Australia (home country) as that was the requirement then and it cost me about 6000 Baht and had to show 400,000 baht in Thai bank account.

I now read that you say it was free it Penang. Do you mean that you did not have to show money or income to the immigration office? and how much was the visa including agent fees..???

Thanks

Nick

If anyone has accurate/different information of how to renew an O visa it would be greatly appreciated...

Hey guys

All details appreciated

Jim

Marriage lincence

two passport photos

your passport.

Hello mattias33,

Thanks for the Interesting information. your weblink does not work it should be www.banananewguesthouse.com.

I am in a very similar situation.

Live in samui, married to Thai. My first visa was a "non-imigrant B'' and when that expired i got a "non-immigrant O". After the first 90 days of this "O" visa I went to the immigration office in Nathon (Samui) as I had been told that I did not have to leave the every 90 days. But the immigration office told me that I could only get my 90 day stamp there if I could show an income from outside Thailand (as on an O visa work is not permitted). In the end it was easier just to leave and re-enter the country (usually Burma). So I have always had to leave and re-enter the country every 90 days..... Now about to do my last 90 day stamp in Burma 1 day before the visa expires then I will need to renew my O visa and the whole process starts again....I originally obtained my O visa in Australia (home country) as that was the requirement then and it cost me about 6000 Baht and had to show 400,000 baht in Thai bank account.

I now read that you say it was free it Penang. Do you mean that you did not have to show money or income to the immigration office? and how much was the visa including agent fees..???

Thanks

Nick

If anyone has accurate/different information of how to renew an O visa it would be greatly appreciated...

Yep. Never (so far) showed any money.

Visa fee was 550 ringit (5500 baht) and the agent fee was 60 ringit. I was in a sticky situation since my wife was waiting in a hotel in sedao, i arrived late (10 in the morning maly time) so i had to pay another 40 ringit to make sure the agent got it back the same evening. But hes normal fee was 60 ringit. (dont have a clue where the extramoney went, brags or simply the fact that he had to wait around longer in ambassy??)

(there is a slight possibillity i turned the figures 60, 40 around but the whole fee in my case was 100 ringit).

The agent was very proffesional and you can either stay in his guest house overnight, arrive late evening and hand in all your papers, he go up in the morning and go to the embassy himself and come back in the afternoon. You dont have to bother. Or as in my case wait in his restaurant and he have a travelagent next door that drive minivans back to the border for 200 baht. Eddy himself organize it all while you enjoy your holiday!!

As for the immigration thing, i never done it and it is becoming clearer that i wloud have to do border-runs i guess.........

If the will be the case its not to bad either. Julias border van is ok and a quick thing. By the way, how did you go too burma, and why? Is it cheaper or faster or did you just siply enjoy the nice roads with the good view?? (fantastic between choumpon and ranong).

And, thanks for editing my spelling on the website, my fingers are still to big for the laptop even though im getting there slowly, hahaha.