Hong Kong Disneyland.

expatgaz

If you are with children forget Macao.I was there last weekend and the touts are terrible and EVERYWHERE!It costs HK$380 round trip/person an hour trip and once you arrive the touts descend on you like a swarm of flies.Leave the kids at home if you want to do Macao.

If you are planning a few days with kids,book online at a place in Causeway Bay such as the Excelsior Hotel,then the hotel can organize anything for you and they have a shuttle to Disneyland (about 25 mins). They also have many day trips you can get to Ocean Park,Space Museum.

The hotel is next to the harbour and Victoria Park on HK Island and the MTR is a walk away,The Peak about 20 mins,Stanley beach/market close also.

Great area to be in for adults and kids alike.Near all the shopping places but convenient to everything else.

Check out the HK website http://www.discoverhongkong.com/login.html

Edited by Momo8

If you are with children forget Macao.I was there last weekend and the touts are terrible and EVERYWHERE!It costs HK$380 round trip/person an hour trip and once you arrive the touts descend on you like a swarm of flies.Leave the kids at home if you want to do Macao.

If you are planning a few days with kids,book online at a place in Causeway Bay such as the Excelsior Hotel,then the hotel can organize anything for you and they have a shuttle to Disneyland (about 25 mins). They also have many day trips you can get to Ocean Park,Space Museum.

The hotel is next to the harbour and Victoria Park on HK Island and the MTR is a walk away,The Peak about 20 mins,Stanley beach/market close also.

Great area to be in for adults and kids alike.Near all the shopping places but convenient to everything else.

Check out the HK website http://www.discoverhongkong.com/login.html

I agree, I think the Excelsior is a great hotel, but then again I haven't seen it for 15 years. Still, it was once a member of the Oriental or Peninsula group at one time so you definitely won't go wrong. Causeway Bay is definitely a good choice if you have kids. But there are also plenty of other good hotels in that area.

Excelsior sure seems a nice place, but 3 people 4 nights is almost 50,000 baht. I know it's a luxury hotel and if we were going to spend any length of time in the room we would surely consider it but frankly, we're only going to be there to sleep and I see guest houses in Causeway bay offering same for 5-10,000 baht.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Phil Conners

3 people 4 nights that's actually a pretty good deal at the Excelsior. But if you're looking to tighten the budget a bit you may want to look at Tsim Sha Tsui hotels - that's the other major shopping district. The Kimberley and the Windsor come to mind - 3.5 star but more than good enough for sleeping in. If you can stand the guesthouses, though, then go for it - those can also be found in Tsim Sha Tsui at Chungking and Mirador Mansions (Mirador is better).

I think guesthouses vary a lot - I have been staying in a guesthouse in Causeway Bay years ago, it was very nice and clean. Saw (and heard the rumors about) Chunking mansion - now that is not a place I would like to stay, ugh. Also much prefer the calmer atmosphere of Causeway Bay over Tsim Sha Tsui.

I think guesthouses vary a lot - I have been staying in a guesthouse in Causeway Bay years ago, it was very nice and clean. Saw (and heard the rumors about) Chunking mansion - now that is not a place I would like to stay, ugh. Also much prefer the calmer atmosphere of Causeway Bay over Tsim Sha Tsui.

I was going to recommend the Charterhouse in Wanchai but their prices have increased significantly since I last looked a few years ago. I believe there's also a YMCA or YWCA (or some Christian-operated hotel) near the end of Hennessy Road just before you hit Admiralty, but I can't for the life of me remember its name.

If you don't mind the Mid Levels, Bishop Lei is also quite good and reasonably priced - I stayed there on my last trip because the office was nearby and they booked for me. It's a 5 minute walk to the escalators. As I recall it was around HK$600 a night. WiFi was also free if I remember correctly.

Chungking I did once - and never again. Mirador is better and cleaner. Go up and see Mrs Lee on the 14th (I think) floor, she owns half the units in Mirador by now. Should be about HK$150 per night for a single room with air-con and TV and private shower.

Edited by onethailand