Donner Kebab

plasticpig

"Can i get a real Uk style Donner Kebab"

UK style? Pretty sure they didn't invent it...

You are obviously not from the UK and never eaten a large mixed doner with extra chilli sauce . The poster is asking for a UK " STYLE " kebab. Not a tradional style kebab on a skewer! He is not inferring they invented them there. The same way people ask for a UK style Indian. Chicken tikka massala is the most popular Indian dish in the UK but is unheard of in India! :)

only people who have no idea of India could claim this. chicken tikka is most probably on the menue of each indian restaurant no matter whether north, south, east or western India.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

If your not a Brit then theres a pretty slim chance you have had a real Brit style Donner . As previously mentioned, a split Pita bread, filled with salad and topped off with wafer thin slices of

Skewered Lamb. Not the same as chunks of lamb and put over coals, these Donner Kebabs are massive , maybe 30lb-40lb of meat on an upright skewer , grilled by upright flame grills.then as the meat rotates the chef slices it from top to bottom.

Then add your chilli and yoghurt / mayo /garlic mayo on top of that , WOW, I want one now also .

I used to buy a super Donner for about 7 quid , eat some on the way home, eat more when I got there and fried up the remains for breakfast , I want another one now , :D

How does the English version differ from the Australian version?

The best kebab in BKK isnt a kebab, its a Gyro (the greek version) , from Souvlaki in Silom...fantastic.

There is No Kangaroo in the English version of a Donner !

Gyros , mostly from Greece/Cyprus uses different spices I think and is usually Chicken , thats what can be had in Pattaya / BKK .

I think normal UK style Donner Kebabs are possibly Turkish but my local shop was run by Iranians ?

Donner meat is usually a mix of cuts , leg and breast of lamb , marinated for a day then pressed into the huge Kebabs of 30lb , skewered and then vertically grilled.I want one , HELP SK. :D

• 2 weeks later...
The best donerkabab I ever had was when I was stationed in Turkey (where I believe it originated) and if i remember correctly, they put it over warm bread and added yogurt to it and it was fantastic!

100% agree with you on this one. I remember being in Turkey some years back & watching them prepare the kebab before cooking. This looked delicious before it was cooked. I remember them putting layer after layer of meat building up to the top of the thin "pole" or whatever it's called. Slightly different to this compact meat you see in so many places.

Best one I ever had was made by some Turkish friends. Also they added feta to the pitta before grilling. The cheese expands and takes on the texture of marshmallow.....wonderful extra dimension to the kebab. Mmmmm......

"Can i get a real Uk style Donner Kebab"

UK style? Pretty sure they didn't invent it...

You are obviously not from the UK and never eaten a large mixed doner with extra chilli sauce . The poster is asking for a UK " STYLE " kebab. Not a tradional style kebab on a skewer! He is not inferring they invented them there. The same way people ask for a UK style Indian. Chicken tikka massala is the most popular Indian dish in the UK but is unheard of in India! :)

only people who have no idea of India could claim this. chicken tikka is most probably on the menue of each indian restaurant no matter whether north, south, east or western India.

Fisherman's restaurant in the shadow of Fort Aguada has a menu maybe 10 pages long. Hilarious watching the tourists spend 20 mins flicking through it only to later discover the dishes on offer are chicken or prawn chilli fry. Great food by the way dirt cheap too however no chance of finding chicken tikka. Also chicken tikka masala maybe in a 5* hotel not on the street. In fact very few places sell meat covered in thick sauces certainly in the south.....not been north much so dunno there.

Happy eating anyway! :D