4 Thai Employees : 1 Farang

Hi

I'd like to know how to get a one-year work permit. I heard that I need 4 thai employees before I can apply for a 1 year Work Permit for myself. What if I "hire" the 4 thai employees now and then "fire" some of them later after I get my 1 year Work Permit.

Will my work permit automatically be cancelled when any 1 of the 4 thai employees leaves the employment?

Hi

I'd like to know how to get a one-year work permit. I heard that I need 4 thai employees before I can apply for a 1 year Work Permit for myself. What if I "hire" the 4 thai employees now and then "fire" some of them later after I get my 1 year Work Permit.

Will my work permit automatically be cancelled when any 1 of the 4 thai employees leaves the employment?

YES. Eventually.

Edited by Manchester

That option is out. For a new company you will get 1 to 3 month visa/work permit. After which you have to prove income and tax payments; as well as payment of tax and social security for your employees - else a big long letter and many questions to get another 3 month grant.

Thai Limited Partnership is another route that you can investigate. Such a limited partnership does not need 4 Thai employees, just 2 million THB Capitalisation per WP.

The catch is that you need a Thai Managing Partner who is the partnersip's director and that person will have unlimited liability. Your liability would be limited to the extent of the partnersip's capitalisation. The ongoing running costs are similar to those of a Thai Limited Company.

This model has been used by some foreigners wanting to set up small companies here in Thailand; you obviously need a Thai managing partner who you can trust 100%.

Thai Limited Partnership is another route that you can investigate. Such a limited partnership does not need 4 Thai employees, just 2 million THB Capitalisation per WP.

The catch is that you need a Thai Managing Partner who is the partnersip's director and that person will have unlimited liability. Your liability would be limited to the extent of the partnersip's capitalisation. The ongoing running costs are similar to those of a Thai Limited Company.

This model has been used by some foreigners wanting to set up small companies here in Thailand; you obviously need a Thai managing partner who you can trust 100%.

Can the Thai Managing Partner be your Thai Wife ?

Can the Thai Managing Partner be your Thai Wife ?

But i had THAI LIMITED PARTNERSHIP before without emplyees. That gave me only a non-b doubble entry. 6 months. Border run after 90 days.

I had my girlfriend (before we married) as an managing partner but not sure if your wife can be it. Would think so though.........

Aren't you some of guys confusing "extension of stay rules for business" with work permit rules? Not the same thing. Right?

This thread relates to work permit regulations (Ministry of Labour). Extension of stay (Immigration Dept - Prime Minister's Office) rules are a completely separate issue.

Zen, the Thai company employing you does not need 4 Thai employees before you can apply for a work permit.

That would be a requirement of the immigration office for you to get an extension of stay.

--

Maestro

Aren't you some of guys confusing "extension of stay rules for business" with work permit rules? Not the same thing. Right?

This thread relates to work permit regulations (Ministry of Labour). Extension of stay (Immigration Dept - Prime Minister's Office) rules are a completely separate issue.

Maestro made my point for me. It appeared to me that some people were under the impression that you needed Thai employees for a work permit, that's why I asked my question. I thought they were confusing the requirements.

Anyway, if a person is on a 1 year "extension of stay" based on marriage or business, would they not also be likely to get a work permit that would be valid for a year?

Anyway, if a person is on a 1 year "extension of stay" based on marriage or business, would they not also be likely to get a work permit that would be valid for a year?

Yes. As far as I know the Labour Department matches the validity of the work permit with that of the permission to stay.

I remember Sunbelt explaining once that if an employer has, for example, two foreigners, both on marriage extension, he needs no Thai employees. If one foreigner is on marriage extension and the other on employment extension, he needs eight Thai employees, ie four for each foreigner. In other words, as soon as one foreign employee is on an extension of stay for work, the employer must have four Thai employees for every foreigner employed by him.

--

Maestro

Hi, I have followed your conversations with intersest as I am desperately trying to establish how I can obtain a one year, multiple entry visa myself. I am 47 with a wife and two kids and are planning to move to Koh Samui in the new year. I am RAF retired with a UK pension and plan to put my kids into full time education on the island. What do I need to qualify as I am too young for a retirement visa but have been led to understand that the kids going into Thai education is the key for me. Is this right?

Zen, the Thai company employing you does not need 4 Thai employees before you can apply for a work permit.

That would be a requirement of the immigration office for you to get an extension of stay.

--

Maestro

ok hold that thought for a sec...........

I am on a Non-O (marriage) visa, have not extended the stay to one year yet but plan to do so soon. Once I get the one year extension, can I then apply for a work permit based on working for myself? Do I need to set up a limited company or can I be a "sole trader"?

I was one of the people that thought I had to work for somebody else or set up a company with 4 thais employed. Glad I bumped into this thread.

Edited by dsys