Esl Game

MaggieMay

Hi

I am looking for a game which I got of the net 4 or 5 years ago. I would like to use it with the class I am now teaching but can't find it again. It requires the students to make decisions based on reasoning, therefore there is no right or wrong answer it is about how they make the choices and why.

It is based on the world ending and a group of people been flown to an island to continue human life. There are too many people to fit in the helicopter so the students are required to come to an agreement as to who goes. Including the helicopter pilot only ten people can go....all the people are experts in their fields except for one, a model, her asset is her beauty. However all these people have a flaw in their character or an illiness which is could be life threatening: the botanist is an alcoholic, or the doctor has a cancer etc.

If anyone has used this recently in class (uni students) I would really appriciate if you could give me the web site

Many thanks

MM :o

Hi

I am looking for a game which I got of the net 4 or 5 years ago. I would like to use it with the class I am now teaching but can't find it again. It requires the students to make decisions based on reasoning, therefore there is no right or wrong answer it is about how they make the choices and why.

It is based on the world ending and a group of people been flown to an island to continue human life. There are too many people to fit in the helicopter so the students are required to come to an agreement as to who goes. Including the helicopter pilot only ten people can go....all the people are experts in their fields except for one, a model, her asset is her beauty. However all these people have a flaw in their character or an illiness which is could be life threatening: the botanist is an alcoholic, or the doctor has a cancer etc.

If anyone has used this recently in class (uni students) I would really appriciate if you could give me the web site

Many thanks

MM :o

What is the model's weakness?

I've come across this game in the past but found it really hard to find the original. What I did was to recall what was in there and try to make one from what I remembered trying to make it really close to the original.

I've been using this for a couple of years now and it never failed to stimulate relevant response.

I hope this helps.

For those who will come across this,feel free to use and modify this and I hope you won't mind postig your answer to this.

The Last Rocket from Earth

The earth was about to be destroyed by a catastrophic geological disturbance. Massive earthquakes and destructive volcanic eruptions shattered the cracked the Earth open in all continents. The Earth is ready to explode into countless pieces within an hour.

NASA is launching a rocket to the newly built habitat on the Moon in twenty minutes. It will fly on autopilot to the new habitat where humans could live and ensure the survival of the human race.

Here is the catch, there are only six seats on the rocket but there are ten people waiting in line.

You have to make this crucial decision.

Who do you think deserves to get the six seats on that last rocket form Earth?

1. a terribly sad sixteen year old pregnant girl who was abandoned by her boyfriend

2. a 75-year-old monk from Thailand

3. a 38-year-old female doctor who cannot have children

4. a policeman with a loaded gun who was dismissed from service for bribes

5. a 25-year-old male laboratory chemist who makes a lot of money selling illegal drugs

6. a 21-year old snobbish lady from England who hates men for unknown reasons

7. a famous homosexual architect

8. a 40-year old classical pianist who was recently divorced by his wife because he attacked her with a flute

9. a 26-year-old pregnant lady who spent a year in the local mental hospital who wouldn’t go if her husband wouldn’t make it on the list

10. a 35 year old lawyer who likes politics so much and is married to the 26 year-old pregnant lady, he wouldn’t go if his wife will stay on Earth

Edited by sensei

Hey thanks for your help...I'm making up my own list of assorted characters. The game I originally used was probably just that. As for the model, she has to have some imperfection I just haven't decided what it'll be yet....It won't really matter my Asian students won't pick her anyway, they don't as a rule see any potential for her in any way shape or form Cheers MM

1. a terribly sad sixteen year old pregnant girl who was abandoned by her boyfriend

5. a 25-year-old male laboratory chemist who makes a lot of money selling illegal drugs

8. a 40-year old classical pianist who was recently divorced by his wife because he attacked her with a flute

9. a 26-year-old pregnant lady who spent a year in the local mental hospital who wouldn’t go if her husband wouldn’t make it on the list

10. a 35 year old lawyer who likes politics so much and is married to the 26 year-old pregnant lady, he wouldn’t go if his wife will stay on Earth

It's a very false dilemma, a terrible hypothetical. Isn't there usually a psychopath on this example, not counting lawyers?

You only have to leave out 4 people. We can assume the non-mating members would not have long term value, but they could have infinite value in the short term. The policeman (in this example) doesn't sound useful. The architect probably could build things on the moon. The infertile doctor might save lives until she dies. Most of the ten seem less than ideal candidates. I'd leave off the 21 year old English lady, and the old monk, too.

It's a very false dilemma, a terrible hypothetical. Isn't there usually a psychopath on this example, not counting lawyers?

You only have to leave out 4 people. We can assume the non-mating members would not have long term value, but they could have infinite value in the short term. The policeman (in this example) doesn't sound useful. The architect probably could build things on the moon. The infertile doctor might save lives until she dies. Most of the ten seem less than ideal candidates. I'd leave off the 21 year old English lady, and the old monk, too.

Cool down PB. It is really purely hypothetical and totally untrue but if you'll see the original, it could even be worse.

It's just an attempt to encourage the OP to to make her own.

Hey! Thanks for your answer.

Edited by sensei

Thanks PB

Now why didn't I think of that

A psychopath

Mass murderer,

Schizophrenic

And with one or two others....

I could turn it into a spelling lesson

What a good idea....Are they experts in their fields?

MM