Internet Today Very Slow

gharknes

I am using CAT CDMA in Phuket (Kamala) and it has been almost unusable for about 4 days now. Signal strength is fine but getting page time-outs and random disconnections.

I have just been in to the CAt offices and they tell me it's because the cable got cut in Bangkok and that all internet in Phuket with all providers are experiencing difficulties. I thought the cable issue had been resolved on Sunday though?

Edited by Singha Gold

I'm 35 kms north east of Bangkok, the internet here has been virtually nil for over a week here now. Everyone accepts that there was a major severing of the optic cable in Bangkok. So wouldn't it be in the best interest of all parties if officials made a public statement as to when it's presumed that the service will be totally restored. I've checked the Bangkok dailys everyday and the resumption of the internet service doesn't even rate a mention.

Guest Reimar

It looks like the speed is increasing now!

Not sure the Cable to the Malaysia Gateway is fixed now?!

But here the results from last night and today morning:P

post-33339-1191902160_thumb.jpg

I am using CAT CDMA in Phuket ( Laguna) and connection still very bad for the last 4 days

a lot of cut and so slow... when opening web page is possible of course!!

And still no invoice?

Who received yet an invoice or had already paid a mensual fees?????

Guest Reimar
470 KB/S Download

801 KB/s Upload

That's using wireless connection in the middle of ricefields.

Wow!!!!!!!

That mean your connection is down 3760 kb(it)ps because download 470 kB(yte)/s and your upload is even much better: 6408 kb(it)ps with 801 kB(yte)/s!

Or you mean kbps instead of kB/s in the middle of your ricefield? :o

Wow!!!!!!!

That mean your connection is down 3760 kb(it)ps because download 470 kB(yte)/s and your upload is even much better: 6408 kb(it)ps with 801 kB(yte)/s!

Or you mean kbps instead of kB/s in the middle of your ricefield? :D

:o

I have never had a stronger urge to move to a rice field than now!

I'm in the rice fields using TOT Ipstar and I'm happy if it works at all. Maybe I have been in Thailand too long. When it stalls (often) I go do something else and come back to it. My signal is always consistent so TOT tells me everything is fine. If I am in a BIG hurry I use my phone and GPRS. It is usually VERY slow but it works at least most of the time. No more complaining because it does absolutely NO good.

One of those days ... take a deep breath ... remember why I'm in Thailand (I visited UK recently and couldn't wait to leave) ... relax, a sip (bottle or two) of beer ... but I still wonder how Thailand manages to foul up so much, so often ... why are the internet cables here always being cut, is there a phantom cable troll with a mission to drive us crazy, or is it just the fatcats who can't be bothered to lay the right cables to start with ... I have heard rumour that you get faster connections in the middle of impoverished Africa ... Thailand, aspirations to raise itself from 3rd world status, failing abysmally ... but that's probably why I feel so at home :-)

I am using CAT CDMA in Phuket ( Laguna) and connection still very bad for the last 4 days

a lot of cut and so slow... when opening web page is possible of course!!

And still no invoice?

Who received yet an invoice or had already paid a mensual fees?????

I signed up to CAT CDMA 2 months ago and I've never had an invoice either. Same with one of my neighbours - she hasn't had an invoice in 5 months.

Its been so slow as to be unusable for the last 5 days so maybe I'm getting what I paid for......

No one on CAT Huwaii or Skycards has paid anything yet. We have a guy in the village here who keeps going in to "complain" about not getting a bill (Silly bugger) and every time they tell him - free period extended, next month. I think the latest put it at Septembers bill coming early October. Still no sign. I know one friend of mine has been on the little USB dongle now for close on a year and has never heard a word. I just hope they don't dump a large bill on us for all this time in arrears.

I didn't feel like I could complain too much yesterday when I went to see them in Patong, having not paid anything for it. But the service this last week has been shocking. I don't think it's all Bangkok either. My signal strength almost always sits at 5 bars (-63) but has recently been getting worse and worse as I stay connected. Eventually after 5 minutes, returning "no service". I wonder if they are introducing the download limits to peoples accounts?

While I was in there I also asked about the new antennas they are supposed to be building. They have started on the one in Patong, but have only bought the land for one here in Kamala. They just smiled and the best I could get out of them was maybe 3 months for Patong. They just wanted me out of the shop.

*** Just tried it, and I can only get to this website, other Thai ones and MSN Messenger. Anything else fails to return a DNS result***

Edited by Singha Gold

Guest Reimar

The speed in the evening to international sites is much more slow than on daytime.

Here the results from yesterday and today and you need to ad +7 hour.

post-33339-1191937869_thumb.jpg

Using True 1024 in Central Bangkok, and it's been atrocious over the last week. Packet loss is also high, which is making VoIP quite difficult. Found this web site which does a more detailed test:

http://myvoipspeed.visualware.com/

My results (using the Chicago based server) are:

Speed test statistics

---------------------

Download speed: 76336 bps

Upload speed: 35248 bps

Quality of service: 59 %

Download test type: socket

Upload test type: socket

Maximum download pause: 1019 ms

Average download pause: 254 ms

Minimum round trip time to server: 405 ms

Average round trip time to server: 603 ms

VoIP test statistics

--------------------

Jitter: you --> server: 148.5 ms

Jitter: server --> you: 30.0 ms

Packet loss: you --> server: 2.5 %

Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %

Packet discards: 0.0 %

Packets out of order: 0.1 %

Number of supported VoIP lines: 0

Estimated MOS score: 1.5

Running the test to London is only marginally better, with an MOS of 2.0 (Below 3 and it's too difficult to carry on a conversation).

If only CAT DNS would work so I could go look at it. I have had to add a HOST entry for Thai Visa to get it to work and currently an NSLOOKUP resolves only 1 in 20 requests. It was working at 2am last night, I thought they had finally got it all sorted. I am not feeling brave enough to go and argue DNS with the 2 girls on the CAT desk in Patong. There's only so much aimless smiling I can take.

470 KB/S Download

801 KB/s Upload

That's using wireless connection in the middle of ricefields.

Are you using CAT CDMA? That's what I use and it has been really bad for the last several days.

Also for those that have asked, I have not received a bill in 4 months from CAT. Have also went to CAT office in Roiet and asked about it thinking they might not have the right address. Got the usual smiles and a mi pen rai. Guess at some point we will all get an enormous bill!!

Had a shock when I went to the local internet cafe in Kanchanaburi today as my AIS GPRS has been terrible the last 5 days.

The owner asked me what I wanted to do.

I said that I needed to connect to some UK websites.

He said not to bother as the connection was so slow.

Honest but sad.

Hmm, the DNS servers seem to be on the fritz again today (True). Can't connect to some sites (Thaivisa included). But when I directly set the proxy to True's, then it works fine.

Same in Phuket right now with TT&T....most sites won't load....Google and its properties the exception along with.....WOOHOO!!....Thai Visa.

CHEERS!

D

Hmm, the DNS servers seem to be on the fritz again today (True). Can't connect to some sites (Thaivisa included). But when I directly set the proxy to True's, then it works fine.

Same in Phuket right now with TT&T....most sites won't load....Google and its properties the exception along with.....WOOHOO!!....Thai Visa.

CHEERS!

D

i have had all the same problems that people have been discussing here. i am on maxnet Indy 1000 baht a month package in Pattaya. its been terrible, it actually took 1hour & 13 minutes to download 3 pop 3 emails yesterday from Yahoo.singapore!

the international websites would not connect and all the time i was displaying a download speed over over 2MB within Thailand and about 150-200KB outside. i have been using dial up when its been at its worst and even at only 45kbs on a modem its actually been faster than ADSL after 5 pm. i had noted my problems started a couple of weeks ago when i was told i was upgraded for free to twice the download speed. so today i went to Carrefour and switched to the PREMIER 1 Mb package and effectively halved my supposed official INDY download speed as Premier packages have not been upgraded yet. so now i am now back to a full fast effective interantional internet package with no problems at all with pop 3 mail or any connection problems at all. i was advised to do this by a maxnet technical engineer who said the problems were only associated with Indy accounts that had been upgraded for free. Premier and Biz accounts were unaffected by the problems that the INDY packages were having. the cost to get my service back to normal and as it was, if not slightly better than before? an extra 90 baht a month! now 1090 instead of 1000. i was in there this morning at 11am and they gave me new usernames, passwords etc and switched me over at 5pm. so i am a very happy chappy, my blood pressure has already gone down. i haven't explained it terribly well but i hope you get it.

good luck!