Duty Free At The Airport?

astral

I have been doing quite a bit of travelling in and out of Thailand lately and have been studying some of the Duty Free prices at Don Muang.

Before anyone jumps in, I know they are way cheaper than Europe, but in a way that emphasises what I am about to say.

Here are afew examples.

Memory cards for cameras. Don Muang price same a good shop in Bangkok.

Grand Marnier liquer 1200 in Don Muang, $15 (600 baht) in Bombay

Southern Comfort 900 baht in Don Muang $12 (480 baht) in Bombay

Profit margins are high at the airport, so it pays to shop around.

There is no guarantee that Duty Free means best price.

As for the european operators, they are way out of line!!!

I have been doing quite a bit of travelling in and out of Thailand lately and have been studying some of the Duty Free prices at Don Muang.

Before anyone jumps in, I know they are way cheaper than Europe, but in a way that emphasises what I am about to say.

Here are afew examples.

Memory cards for cameras. Don Muang price same a good shop in Bangkok.

Grand Marnier liquer 1200 in Don Muang, $15 (600 baht) in Bombay

Southern Comfort 900 baht in Don Muang $12 (480 baht) in Bombay

Profit margins are high at the airport, so it pays to shop around.

There is no guarantee that Duty Free means best price.

As for the european operators, they are way out of line!!!

Astral, i noticed that the prices on certain goods is very high in Don Muang, especially Electronics.

Let's say rental for duty free shops are not cheap.

If I compare Johnny Walker Black. BKK airport Baht 990, Saigon US$ 20-21,

HKG US$ 25-26. Downtown BKK around Baht 1000.

Also cheap is Taipei, but dis-organized.

Still somebody smoking out there? Camel regular BKK: Baht 480, Saigon US$ 6-10, Downtown Penang Baht 500, HKG (not sold) reg. cigarettes around US$ 12-15.

European d/f is far too high. After the cancellation of d/f privileges within Europe, they lost a lot of business and switched to reguloar shops, except some small outlets for non-EU travel.

Electronics: Unless you now exactly what you are looking for, difficult to say, but as a general rule, I check upon arrival (e.g. in Singapore) compare downtown, and than by at either place upon departure.

Last example, two weeks ago, needed a electric shaver, bought in HKG-d/f in transit. Found the same thing next day iun Taiopei downtown for NT$ 499, about Bahty 600 or Baht 200 cheaper than d/f.

The only thing I buy in BKK tghese days is the Black Label, just for convinience. I don't have to go to the shoip in downtown,just pick it up. 1 liter is allowed, 2 liters

customs officer will not say anything or "Next time only one!"

About 3-4 years ago I was traveling frequently to Japan and on two ocassions I priced up 2 items in a Don Muang duty free shop. A Sony CD walkman and a Sony video camera. I had already bought these from Carrefour Rangsit and they turned out to be about 400-500 baht more expensive in the duty free shop (I think the name was 'Kings Duty Free'.)

Gazza

I travel from Sydney,Singapore,Bangkok,Dubai.

I found the cheapest duty free in Singapore.You can shop in the city & get your duty refunded or at the airport.The best time is June / July as they have the Singapore Sale on.I shopped everywhere for a watch,picked one up at Singapore airport AUS $210.00 cheaper the anywhere else.Also look out for their specials on booz & cigs,can buy Aus cigs cheaper there the Sydney airport.

About 3-4 years ago I was traveling frequently to Japan and on two ocassions I priced up 2 items in a Don Muang duty free shop. A Sony CD walkman and a Sony video camera. I had already bought these from Carrefour Rangsit and they turned out to be about 400-500 baht more expensive in the duty free shop (I think the name was 'Kings Duty Free'.)

Gazza

Yeah Gazza, i noticed the same thing with the cameras, very expensive.