Buying A Used Car From Fellow Farang...

Hi,

I'm buying a used car from a friend and could do with a bit of advice from anyone who has been through this before. The car comes with all necessary up-to-date paperwork and I am generally satisfied with the condition. However, there is a knocking sound that needs looking at - something that the previous owner has agreed to pay for.

1) Can anyone recommend a decent English speaking mechanic where I can get this done (in Bangkok)?

2) What documents do I and the previous owner need for the transfer of ownership?

3) Does he need to be present for this?

4) Do I need to transfer the insurance, or is it (as I have heard) that the car itself is insured, rather than the driver?

Any help with any of these questions would be massively appreciated!

Thanks!

:o

1) no (sorry)

2) he should bring the log book (details of previous owners) and insurance details with him

3) He will need to sign the transfer of ownership document - not sure if he can do this in advance but my guess is No.

4) I was told that the car was insured not the driver but it was free (in my case) to change the name so I would do this to be on the safe side, even if they charge it will only be a couple of hundred baht.

Hope this helps although I did it in Phuket so it's possible the rules are different in Bangkok.

Bit more details!

1) no idea either (sorry as well :o)

2) logbook of the car, residence paper from immigration, from both buyer and seller. Insurance papers (compulsory only needed for transfer).

3) seller does not need to be present, however transfer documents have to be signed, a signed sales contract is needed and the seller needs to sign off the cars' logbook in the proper place (on the bottom of the page with his details).

4) depends on what insurance the previous owner took out. One can take insurance with 1 or more named drivers, which would not be transferable!

Bit more details!

1) no idea either (sorry as well :o)

2) logbook of the car, residence paper from immigration, from both buyer and seller. Insurance papers (compulsory only needed for transfer).

3) seller does not need to be present, however transfer documents have to be signed, a signed sales contract is needed and the seller needs to sign off the cars' logbook in the proper place (on the bottom of the page with his details).

4) depends on what insurance the previous owner took out. One can take insurance with 1 or more named drivers, which would not be transferable!

Great - thanks for the info!