Using Thai Post To Ship Internatinoally

timballwiz

I'm moving back to the states next month, and as I won't be in any rush to have all my personal belongings (lots of clothes, books, etc.) back with me, I'm looking for the cheapest shipping option.

That seems to be Thai Post, which charges 3,210 baht for a 20kg parcel (the maximum weight). As I'll be shipping several boxes of this size/weight, I wonder if there are any services (offered by ThaiPost or another company) that would pick up all these boxes from my condo instead of figuring a way to get them all to the post office myself. (And on that note, I don't even know where a post office is, and can't seem to find locations on their web site.)

Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated. (Also, if there's another shipping company anyone has experience with that isn't way, way more expensive, I'd love to hear that, too.) Thanks!

Thai Post Office is by far the cheapest way unless you are shipping a container load.

And make sure you specify "surface mail" when you talk to them (that gets you the rate specified...if they don't understand just say "cheap, cheap"). Be very clear about this or they will charge you the 1st class rate, which isn't a good deal. They will put a strap around the box right there in the post office and put a wax seal on it to detect tampering.

Allow 3 months for delivery. In my experience, it always gets there, but usually several weeks later than you think. I always just assume it has been stolen, but invariably it shows up late.

As for locations, you can't do any better than the central post office in Bangrak. They're very helpful. Go to the Saphan Taksin skytrain station. Walk west for 12 minutes (drive for about 3 minutes) past Robinson, Silom and Suriwong. Big, old building. Can't miss it. However, all offices can provide the same service, so there isn't a real advantage of using one over another.

The Thai post will pick up in some instances, but not for surface mail shipments. Best way is a taxi if there aren't too many boxes, or one of your friendly neighborhood pickup trucks which will charge you 200 - 400 baht depending on their mood.

You don't say where you are. If you told us your location, we could probably direct you to the nearest location. Of course, you can always just walk outside and ask any random person "Praisanee yoo nai?"

BTW, maximum weight limit for the US is 30kg, not 20kg. Explaining that to the Thai staff may take some effort though...that may be one reason to use the central post office.

Edited by gregb

Thai Post Office is by far the cheapest way unless you are shipping a container load.

And make sure you specify "surface mail" when you talk to them (that gets you the rate specified...if they don't understand just say "cheap, cheap"). Be very clear about this or they will charge you the 1st class rate, which isn't a good deal. They will put a strap around the box right there in the post office and put a wax seal on it to detect tampering.

Allow 3 months for delivery. In my experience, it always gets there, but usually several weeks later than you think. I always just assume it has been stolen, but invariably it shows up late.

As for locations, you can't do any better than the central post office in Bangrak. They're very helpful. Go to the Saphan Taksin skytrain station. Walk west for 12 minutes (drive for about 3 minutes) past Robinson, Silom and Suriwong. Big, old building. Can't miss it. However, all offices can provide the same service, so there isn't a real advantage of using one over another.

The Thai post will pick up in some instances, but not for surface mail shipments. Best way is a taxi if there aren't too many boxes, or one of your friendly neighborhood pickup trucks which will charge you 200 - 400 baht depending on their mood.

You don't say where you are. If you told us your location, we could probably direct you to the nearest location. Of course, you can always just walk outside and ask any random person "Praisanee yoo nai?"

BTW, maximum weight limit for the US is 30kg, not 20kg. Explaining that to the Thai staff may take some effort though...that may be one reason to use the central post office.

Greg, thanks so much for your help. I'm sure it will be valuable to others, too.

Turns out I am actually close to the central post office, so will use your advice and head there. Thanks again.