Buying A Computer/notebook

bppree

What are the best places in Chiang Mai to buy a computer/notebook, especially concerning after-sales service ?

That's the crux of the matter, service and back up. I tried a while ago to get a part for an IBM Notebook, the answer was try Bangkok.

A friend bought a Toshiba F10 Qosmio with all the bells and whistles at a cost of some 80,000 Baht just on a year ago. For some reason the motherboard has spat the dummy, and there are no parts available in Chiangmai, let alone an acredited Toshiba service center. Costs range from 18,000 to 27,000 Baht for a replacement. Toshiba Bangkok said they can order one from Taiwan (country of manufacture) for about 25,000 and six weeks delivery!! All other "repair" shops just shrug and say why not buy a new one!!

You'd probably be better off with a locally produced "generic" at least the parts are available...MM

What are the best places in Chiang Mai to buy a computer/notebook, especially concerning after-sales service ?

I can answer that.

It doesn't matter!

*NOBODY * (either brand or store) provides after-sales service.

* ALL * provide warranty, which is defined as: things physically breaking. Then they ship the thing to $&@#$&* Bangladesh or Singapore, swap the part that broke, and ship it back.

* ANYTHING ELSE * going wrong (i.e. software & windows, mostly) and you can call the call center and they will say "Pop in your restore disc and restart" which will nuke everything and bring the machine back in the state you bought it in.

So that's as far as stores and manufacturers are concerned.

Anything else you'll have to arrange from some third party services company or person.

But as far as a sound attitude to sales, I can recommend Goodspeed compter; they're in all the malls. I'd pick their Pantip branch.

Also, you may not like all of the above with regards to the current preferred model of selling computers, but do consider that these days they cost not too much shade over 20K baht. In the old days, like, 5 years ago, they were a lot more expensive. At current prices, there's *NO* service other than basic warranty.

Final tip: Ask to see and check out the actual unit you're buying BEFORE you're buying. Check the screen with eagle-eyes, looking for dead pixels and always-on pixels. To do this you need to check out the screen while showing completely black, and completely white (or some other color). Dead or always-on pixels are mostly NOT covered by warranty, because manufacturers are crooks. (Unless there's more than 'x' of them, or more than 'y' close together or some other BS.)

Edited by Sanpatong

I have never had a problem with Chi Chang (Chiang Mai Land), I bought my last 2 computers there and they are always very helpful.

Parts for a Compaq or HP have never been an issue. I took my Compaq notebook to them because the screen went blank and they sent it to the Compaq centre (next to Central hospital - or at least it was) and they fixed it for free. Not bad considering I bought in England and had no receipts etc.

There used to be a small IBM service centre in Chiang mai Land in one of the single storey units on the main through road if that's any help.

I've owned (2) Toshiba Satellites, a Compaq Presario, and now have an HP Pavilion. Haven't had a bit of problem yet (knock on wood) but I will mention my friend Paco had a similar model HP completely cr_p out on him late last year. He took it to the main HP vendor in Panthip, and they handled forwarding it to the HP service center (where I don't know). He had no paperwork on the purchase, but these days as all new putes are registered online that was not an issue. He had it back in about a week, good as new. Apparently it has been working fine since then.....

One side note: People, back up your data! I have TWO 2.5 external HDD's- one is 80 GB, and has all the music Crow Boy gave me. The other is a 160 GB which I use strictly for total backup of everything I have...... :o