Salt Water Pool Tile Grout

dickie58

Is there a special tile grout recomended for salt water pools?

You use the same grout as with any other pool, but you need to wait at least 60-90 days before adding salt to a pool with new tile grout. The fresh grout leaches lime into the water and causes a lot of pH fluctuation (it's also not good for the salt generator). Keep your water balanced and sanitize with pucks in the meantime. If it's not the entire pool that's been tiled, just the waterline tiles, you can cut the time frame down to three to four weeks. Just look for the time that your pH is stable in tests made every other day.

Apparently salt pools are easier on coloured grout as it doesn't tend to bleach as bad as regular chlorine pools, but I've never had experience with that to confirm it.

You use the same grout as with any other pool, but you need to wait at least 60-90 days before adding salt to a pool with new tile grout. The fresh grout leaches lime into the water and causes a lot of pH fluctuation (it's also not good for the salt generator). Keep your water balanced and sanitize with pucks in the meantime. If it's not the entire pool that's been tiled, just the waterline tiles, you can cut the time frame down to three to four weeks. Just look for the time that your pH is stable in tests made every other day.

Apparently salt pools are easier on coloured grout as it doesn't tend to bleach as bad as regular chlorine pools, but I've never had experience with that to confirm it.

May I ask you to explain what a "puck" is please ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Try Weber HR. I didn't know about the 60-90 days wait - good tip - I have just emptied the pool to try and find out why the pH kept going up and I found a powdery residue (easy to remove) over all the tiles.

• Like 1

• 13 years later...

I assist in running a condominium and we are having trouble with our swimming pool. We have some rust type stains down the middle area of the pool and are looking for some professional help to give us guidance what may be causing this, Can people give recommendations on companies who maybe able to supply help. We already have engaged home and pool but they are not very helpful. The grout was redone about 3-5 years ago, our main concern is why is this looking like rust coming thru. The pool is located on the roof area.

5 hours ago, mmail2you said:

I assist in running a condominium and we are having trouble with our swimming pool. We have some rust type stains down the middle area of the pool and are looking for some professional help to give us guidance what may be causing this, Can people give recommendations on companies who maybe able to supply help. We already have engaged home and pool but they are not very helpful. The grout was redone about 3-5 years ago, our main concern is why is this looking like rust coming thru. The pool is located on the roof area.

PM me