Highway 32 To Nakhon Sawan

Payboy

just seen on refurbished route 32 to nakhon sawan that the previous kilometre markers are replaced with new markers giving distances in miles :D

wonder whose bright idea it is? are they also going to change this on other routes as well as the entire system of units now? :o

Having passed through school in the good old days of miles, furlongs, yards, feet and inches plus the oddities like rods, poles and perches we knew the system as "Imperial" although in the states they are known as "customary" units.

Lovely old units they were and we used to get arithmetic questions like:-

"Farmer Brown grows potatoes and his crop this year is 19 tons 3 quarters 5 stone and 11 pounds. He divided the crop equally between his three sons who took their shares to different markets. First son sold his share for one shilling and seven pence a pound, the second sold his for 5% less and the third for 15% more.

To the nearest pound what weight of potatoes did each son get and how much did they each bring home?"

On top of that calculators hadn't been invented and we didn't have slide rules, all we had was a pencil and paper.

Having passed through school in the good old days of miles, furlongs, yards, feet and inches plus the oddities like rods, poles and perches we knew the system as "Imperial" although in the states they are known as "customary" units.

"Farmer Brown grows potatoes and his crop this year is 19 tons 3 quarters 5 stone and 11 pounds. He divided the crop equally between his three sons who took their shares to different markets. First son sold his share for one shilling and seven pence a pound, the second sold his for 5% less and the third for 15% more.

To the nearest pound what weight of potatoes did each son get and how much did they each bring home?"

On top of that calculators hadn't been invented and we didn't have slide rules, all we had was a pencil and paper.

And the answers are. . .?

I have slide rules!!  On the left is my original from class in high school, 1957 I think.

Plus the neat Curta calculator, the "pepper grinder."  Gave that to my brother in law in the U.S. a couple years back.  Sure handy when the power goes out.

Mac

post-32650-1192155872_thumb.jpg

I must admit to not seeing these "miles" signs. Although have been trudging this route for the last 7 years & hardly notice anything nowdays. However, my first few months were wasted checking these signs as they were completley out.