Celebrating Getting A Long Term Thai Visa And/or Extension?

i have been taking my extensions for granted and will take them for granted as long as i meet the requirements which immigration imposes. therefore i don't understand why anybody (assuming he/she meets those requirements) would consider another extension as something special or a reason to "celebrate".

Having the investment "visa"(read: extension) I certainly do a little dance, take the rest of the day off, head out to a pub and celebrate the rest of the day.... For obvious reasons I normally try to go for my extensions on a Friday...:o

Cheers!

Even if we determine that we meet the requirements, when you actually go in, you are dealing with one single human being who gets to decide whether he agrees with you. That is a lot of power this person, who may be in a very grumpy mood, has over you. So I do think getting a new stamp merits some kind of celebration. Unless deep down you really wanted to be denied and can't wait to get out of Thailand ...

Edited by Jingthing

Jingthing is spot on I think!

Also; with the constant change of rules, we might THINK we meet the requirements but suddenly being told; (all investment visa examples), that "can not convert tourist visa in Thailand if condo 2nd hand", "this visa no longer extend", "the condo has to be bought from Thai", "the condo has to be bought new, "does not matter whether from Thai or foreign developer", "amount on the tax slip has to be 3M Baht or more, even if the official, government stamped+filed contract might stipulate the real sales price" and on and on.

I refuse to stop my yearly celebrations! :o:D

Cheers!

14 years I've been getting 1-year extensions based on work, and 14 years I still feel anxious when going to immigration for the extension. But more to do with concerns that the university got the paperwork right. 2 years ago they didn't, and I got a 10 day extension to fix it. :o So yes, I feel quite relieved when I see that one year stamped in the passport.

How I celabrate? This is a short story;

I have been trying to become a resident for almost a year now, and after the unbelievable amount of paperwork, criminal checks, finger prints, taxes, photos, visiting my office, taking pictures while i work, interviewing my staff etc. I was eventually given my first 6 month extension based on seeking to become a resident !!! That was a happy day, now I am on my second 6 month extension and soon will be getting my third, not sure how long it will take them to consider if I am good enough to become a resident as it seems that everything that there was to be checked was already checked. My guess it that i might need two more 6 month extensions but who knows. Anyway each time i get 6 months I go and have a beer with firends as it feels a little closer! On the day i become a resident (if) I will surely celebrate big time as no more extensions after that for me !!!

i have been taking my extensions for granted and will take them for granted as long as i meet the requirements which immigration imposes. therefore i don't understand why anybody (assuming he/she meets those requirements) would consider another extension as something special or a reason to "celebrate".

I agree. I just did my 7th extension last week. It's actually a pretty simple procedure although it's always a relief to get it over with for another year.

I guess i,m lucky then. The admin guys and gals sort all my paperwork for me and then telephone Jomtien Imm to confirm all the paperwork they have is up to date with any new rules.

I,ve never had any problems so i suppose i maybe getting blase about the whole thing.

This thread is not really about getting problems or not, but rather whether one "celebrate" each yearly extension somehow.

I can recommend the duck soup across from Suan Plu emmigration (down a small soi) with a cold beer as a celebration meal. :o

Cheers!

As many of us deal with some stress and uncertainties about our visa and extension applications, when we get the coveted current stamp, how are y'all celebrating? Is it just another day, or do you do something special? Like what?

I always look at the stamp and say to myself, "######, I need to do this again in only 29 days, or 60 as the case maybe" and ask myself if it's really worth it going through all this trouble and expense to remain here...in addition to counting the empty pages in my passport to calculate when I'll need to apply for a new one.

Even if we determine that we meet the requirements, when you actually go in, you are dealing with one single human being...

i never went in anywhere and i never dealt with any human being in this respect. we Klingons "let others deal". that is our prerogative... besides drinking blood wine, polishing our swords, fearing the wrath of our wives and shouting loud every morning "TODAY IS A GOOD DAY TO DIE!" (when we are not busy fighting any wars).

14 years I've been getting 1-year extensions based on work, and 14 years I still feel anxious when going to immigration for the extension. But more to do with concerns that the university got the paperwork right. 2 years ago they didn't, and I got a 10 day extension to fix it. :o So yes, I feel quite relieved when I see that one year stamped in the passport.

Tywais, you are a lecturer at a university (i guess). correct me if i'm wrong. assuming i'm right i don't understand why you have to bother personally getting your extensions. doesn't your university have enough clout to deal with immigration in "other ways"?

Same as any other day. In fact more boring, coz have to got to immigration n sit there for some time till the university staff (the most efficient immigration dealing staff I have ever seen) does it for me. I go there in case if they want to see my face (which I believe nobody wants, except for me).

So no problem, nothing special, no celebrations etc. I got it 3 times earlier n will get it one more time again. :o

Tywais, you are a lecturer at a university (i guess). correct me if i'm wrong. assuming i'm right i don't understand why you have to bother personally getting your extensions. doesn't your university have enough clout to deal with immigration in "other ways"?

Researcher actually, with occasional special lectures by invitation. For the first 10 years I never saw immigration, for anything - the university handled it all via a proxy letter. However, immigration changed policy on that and now wants to see my face (though they probably regret that now). :o

Even if we determine that we meet the requirements, when you actually go in, you are dealing with one single human being who gets to decide whether he agrees with you. That is a lot of power this person, who may be in a very grumpy mood, has over you. So I do think getting a new stamp merits some kind of celebration. Unless deep down you really wanted to be denied and can't wait to get out of Thailand ...

Then these jomtien immigration desk jockeys are like the immigration black shirts at US airports; regardless of your visa, paperwork and status, they have the power to let you in.

If I do a little jig the next time they let me into the US, do you think the department of homeland paranoia will take it in context or send me to gitmo?

I am on record as going back to the Mayback and drinking the chilled champayne in the central cooler. Then asking Somchai to take me home to the Jacuzzi for a little relaxation with wifey.

This is 20 years for me and even though I know so many of the people at immigration buy first name it is still a huge sence of relief!

A really Badbanker

Edited by Badbanker

• 1 month later...

Well..

I am finally over the depression of only getting 3 months added onto my visa extension,with the tale that the police will need to visit my business to check that it.

1.Exists\

2.Have the Thai staff

3...sure they will make this up as they go along.

Not sure how I feel really,jumped through hoops for months,spent thousnds on setting up/well two million.

I have been told that, assuming I get the police pass, I will then get the remainder of the year,but from what I can gather now, the poiceman wants tip for doing his job,it is just not easy.

Anyone else got any experience of this..