40% Of Thai Spouses Have Lovers

george

Poll finds 40% spouses have lovers

BANGKOK: -- While most people in committed relationships demand faithfulness from their partner, a recent survey has found that a number of them cheated - or are still cheating - on their significant other.

Of the 1,480 people aged 18 and older who were polled, about 40 per cent said they had had one or more romantic relationships with people other than their spouse or committed partner.

Nearly 40 per cent of these unfaithful partners said they were still cheating on their partners.

"We are concerned that having 'giks' [casual affairs] will become something common," said Noppadon Kannika, head of the Assumption University's Social Innovation in Manage-ment and Business Analysis Research Centre, yesterday.

The centre conducted the survey on October 9 and 10 in Bangkok and nearby provinces in a bid to explore why people cheat on their partners.

According to the survey, women's fussiness, men's incompetence, family conflicts and loneliness are among the main reasons why people are unfaithful. Pursuit of sexual pleasure, the desire to prove one's sexual appeal, and stress were also cited as reasons.

Some 87 per cent of respondents said they heard about extramarital relationships and casual lovers from news reports.

Noppadon voiced concern over the finding that the respondents tended to consider these casual relationships - known as "giks" in Thai - common.

However, when asked what they would do if they found out that their partner had cheated on them, more than 85 per cent said they would not be able to accept it.

Asked about their reaction to the recent scandal over a top official at the Social Development and Human Security Ministry having extramarital affairs with subordinates, 76 per cent said their trust in the ministry had diminished.

More than half of those polled wanted government agencies, non-governmental organisations, politicians, Cabinet members, businessmen, actors, actresses and singers to campaign against unfaithfulness.

"We are also concerned that people who should be role models in society, like politicians, high-ranking government officials and celebrities, are often seen as unfaithful to their partners," Noppadon said.

--The Nation 2007-10-12

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

extramarital affairs with subordinates, 76 per cent said their trust in the ministry had diminished.

More than half of those polled wanted government agencies, non-governmental organisations, politicians, Cabinet members, businessmen, actors, actresses and singers to campaign against unfaithfulness.

"We are also concerned that people who should be role models in society, like politicians, high-ranking government officials and celebrities, are often seen as unfaithful to their partners," Noppadon said.

extramarital affair with a subordinate in some classified more like sexual crime than romance.

what politicians, businessmen, celebrities, government has to do with your own personal conduct is beyond me - more like a cheap excuse for your own wrongdoing

BANGKOK: -- While most people in committed relationships demand faithfulness from their partner, a recent survey has found that a number of them cheated - or are still cheating - on their significant other.

Of the 1,480 people aged 18 and older who were polled, about 40 per cent said they had had one or more romantic relationships with people other than their spouse or committed partner.

Nearly 40 per cent of these unfaithful partners said they were still cheating on their partners.

"We are concerned that having 'giks' [casual affairs] will become something common," said Noppadon Kannika, head of the Assumption University's Social Innovation in Manage-ment and Business Analysis Research Centre, yesterday.

The centre conducted the survey on October 9 and 10 in Bangkok and nearby provinces in a bid to explore why people cheat on their partners.

According to the survey, women's fussiness, men's incompetence, family conflicts and loneliness are among the main reasons why people are unfaithful. Pursuit of sexual pleasure, the desire to prove one's sexual appeal, and stress were also cited as reasons.

Some 87 per cent of respondents said they heard about extramarital relationships and casual lovers from news reports.

Noppadon voiced concern over the finding that the respondents tended to consider these casual relationships - known as "giks" in Thai - common.

However, when asked what they would do if they found out that their partner had cheated on them, more than 85 per cent said they would not be able to accept it.

Asked about their reaction to the recent scandal over a top official at the Social Development and Human Security Ministry having extramarital affairs with subordinates, 76 per cent said their trust in the ministry had diminished.

--The Nation 2007-10-12

Ibet a woman or a yank took it off ! :o

Does it count if the guy knows the woman is working extra with 'dating farangs'? There seem to be a lot of arrangements like that around, would increase the stats some...

Besides, sometimes on the side can increase the romance within the relationship too...depending on how it's handled ofc.

I can not handle people with zero insight into the consequences of their own behaviour.

I dont know if having a gik is considered the new 'cool' thing to do, or if its considered *almost* acceptable in Thai culture to have one, but this 40% phenomena is worryingly high

I feel sorry for the 40 % of cheated husbands.

Thank god I'm one of the 60 %

onzestan

i think the explanation for such extra-relationship affairs are quite easy to explain from an evolutionary biology point of view. women will ofter "cheat" in a relationship because they seek out the "best" genes to sire their offspring. often, in their estimation, the best genes (healthest, strongest, tallest, etc) masculine features are not necessarily found in their mate (and men possessing such attributes may not make the best long-term stable partners) but they will want such genes in their offspring so the go out and get them (have sex with such men) but want to be supported long-term by their my steadies (husbands).

of course, for me, it's self-explanatory...sow one's seeds the widest you can.

which one of the spouse is more likely to have a "gick" ? Any statistic on that ?

Typically it is the partner with the higher libido that is not being properly satisfied by their partner. Apparently people that hold back sex as a form of leverage or control are also making a less than pleasant discovery on how that strategy is backfiring, at least so in Thailand.

<snip>

<snip>

--The Nation 2007-10-12

I think this is a very big assumption indeed.

Thailand is however a little conservative.

I bet this poll was conducted in Bangkok. Most of the Thai men I know would shoot the other guy and beat the shit out of their wife if they found them cheating.

I even know of one man here who went to the police, informed them he was having a fling with the wife of XXXX and advised them to look at him if he was ever killed.

As a farang here I do get many opportunities-the novelty of shaxxing a farang ( we reputedly have a physical advantage in one area I am told) Just call me BIG paul eh.

Woulda said more than 40%. It's the land of no sexual guilt. Everyone (as long as their Thai) is morrally free to enjoy what ever sexual pleasure they enjoy.

Happy days. Well, as long as you're not a married farang I s'pose.

I'll vote with John K on this one: the partner with the higher libido (could be either person) doesn't get what they need, doesn't like playing weird games to get it, and goes elsewhere to get it, so the strategy backfires on the withholding spouse. Most existing marriages in Thailand, I suspect, were arranged or made in decades when the Thais were officially more prudish than our great Aunt Gertrude.

I'll vote with John K on this one: the partner with the higher libido (could be either person) doesn't get what they need, doesn't like playing weird games to get it, and goes elsewhere to get it, so the strategy backfires on the withholding spouse. Most existing marriages in Thailand, I suspect, were arranged or made in decades when the Thais were officially more prudish than our great Aunt Gertrude.

Some still are or pretend to be (prudish), particularly when marketing themselves to a Farang for a possible marriage. I have recently had two early 20's ladies tell me they were virgins and later found this to be an outrageous lie. Playing games with sexual favors is a nasty, counter-productive activity.

"We are concerned that having 'giks' [casual affairs] will become something common," said Noppadon Kannika, head of the Assumption University's Social Innovation in Management and Business Analysis Research Centre, yesterday.

40% and he doesn't consider it as being common yet?

Playing games with sexual favors

In Thailand. Shock.

Remember, it's perfectly ok to lie here if it will make a situation/person feel better.

...just not ok to point out it is a lie.

Edited by thomo

Some still are or pretend to be (prudish), particularly when marketing themselves to a Farang for a possible marriage. I have recently had two early 20's ladies tell me they were virgins and later found this to be an outrageous lie. Playing games with sexual favors is a nasty, counter-productive activity.

Well actually they may have been virgins with you as it was a first time from your comment.

It could have been worse if being a lady was not original equipment from the mom and dad factory.