Thailand To Discuss Thaksin Extradition In London

Charma

Thaksin's been enjoying his 57 weeks in London, paid mostly by the country's taxpayers.

Super pathetic.

Oh... I share your great frustration. :o

But at one point you would have to aknowledge that "all this" (the hunt for Thaksin) is nothing but a red herring, a toy to distract the masses. Afterall, Thaksin was the official justification for the Coup, right ?

But since september 19 2006... what is the result of "all this" ?

Nil. Nada.

The only aim of the Junta was to put Thaksin... away. For a while. Absolutly not to convict him, to put him on trial, and to undo his corruption system etc.

And since we are officially in elections times, it's obvious that nothing will happen. It's "winter time" : the big freeze.

And I can already tell you what will happen after ... "national reconciliation". :D A "compromise" will be found... in order to promote "national reconciliation".

So I don't know if eventually Thaksin will win. But at least, he won't loose.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thaksin's been enjoying his 57 weeks in London, paid mostly by the country's taxpayers.

Super pathetic.

Your logic is a little eccentric.You are a vocal cheerleader for an illegal military coup but you complain the victim of the coup, elected by the people of Thailand, is in exile.If you want to defend the recent time wasting trip to London by Thai prosecutors, I suggest you find a more coherent way of doing so.Otherwise I'm afraid you are just stuck in the yah boo namecalling of the school yard.

Super pathetic.

Oh... I share your great frustration. :o

But at one point you would have to aknowledge that "all this" (the hunt for Thaksin) is nothing but a red herring, a toy to distract the masses. Afterall, Thaksin was the official justification for the Coup, right ?

But since september 19 2006... what is the result of "all this" ?

Nil. Nada.

The only aim of the Junta was to put Thaksin... away. For a while. Absolutly not to convict him, to put him on trial, and to undo his corruption system etc.

And since we are officially in elections times, it's obvious that nothing will happen. It's "winter time" : the big freeze.

And I can already tell you what will happen after ... "national reconciliation". :D A "compromise" will be found... in order to promote "national reconciliation".

So I don't know if eventually Thaksin will win. But at least, he won't loose.

I can agree with most of that, however from what I have seen all of this is out of the hands of the politicians and now into the newly insulated legal system. That insulation is designed to keep tampering politicians out. He will have to be judged then if some politician wants to pardon him, that is another story.

I am glad that you pointed out that the coup generals did not start erecting statues of themselves as some would like to believe. They worked within the guidelines you pointed out.

If the courts cannot prosecute Thaksin on anything else beside this Ratchada property charge which we now know will probably not yield extradition much less a conviction (unless in absentia) the Junta are looking increasingly foolish and inept.

As I predicted right from the start no conviction will be forthcoming.

And as all the predictions come true, and the truth become more and more apparent, one wonders what it will take to make the coup-supporters admit they were wrong all along, and they were duped?

No conviction under Thai law will be forthcoming until Thaksin returns because under Thai law the defendant must be present for at least the initial hearing of the case.

Thaksin says he will return after a democratically election is held, so let's wait and see,but i'm not holding my breath as he's lied hundreds of times in the past.

There are several other cases waiting apart from Ratchada, just yesterday it was pointed out by an ex TRT cabinet member that Thaksin alone signed for the extra billion Exim loan to Burma, not a Cabinet decision.

Shame to see young husband's praise of Thaksin's astuteness in selecting the wily Swede as manager of Man City as a mistimed gesture, they lost 6-0 to Chelsea soon after that!

If the courts cannot prosecute Thaksin on anything else beside this Ratchada property charge which we now know will probably not yield extradition much less a conviction (unless in absentia) the Junta are looking increasingly foolish and inept.

As I predicted right from the start no conviction will be forthcoming.

And as all the predictions come true, and the truth become more and more apparent, one wonders what it will take to make the coup-supporters admit they were wrong all along, and they were duped?

No conviction under Thai law will be forthcoming until Thaksin returns because under Thai law the defendant must be present for at least the initial hearing of the case.

Thaksin says he will return after a democratically election is held, so let's wait and see,but i'm not holding my breath as he's lied hundreds of times in the past.

There are several other cases waiting apart from Ratchada, just yesterday it was pointed out by an ex TRT cabinet member that Thaksin alone signed for the extra billion Exim loan to Burma, not a Cabinet decision.

Shame to see young husband's praise of Thaksin's astuteness in selecting the wily Swede as manager of Man City as a mistimed gesture, they lost 6-0 to Chelsea soon after that!

I had to stifle a laugh, having praised Thaksin's strategy, when I saw Man City collapse in the face of Chelsea but the I am by own admission pitifully ignorant about football.Quite right to tease me.

On a more serious note I think the key issue on the Exim Burma relationship is not that Thaksin was primarily motivated by the wish to enrich himself further but by his despicably fawning approach to the Burmese junta.This is shared of course by many elements of the power elite, including this current puppet government and the military backing it.I wonder whether the Burmese loans from Exim are being serviced by the way.If they are one can question the original investment decision but it's not stealing from Thai tax payers.

If they are one can question the original investment decision but it's not stealing from Thai tax payers.

Burma's interest rate is 3% ,

meanwhile EXIM had to refinance at 4 to 5 % .

looks like stealing to me .

If they are one can question the original investment decision but it's not stealing from Thai tax payers.

Without having more detail it's not entirely clear what it is.Could be a problem for example with the bank's capitalisation.To me, assuming your facts are correct and I have no reason to doubt they are, it looks like shoddy management practice .Export Import banks generally offer concessional rates to back exports so the low interest is not really surprising.Really my point here is just to say that to reduce all this to "Thaksin stealing from taxpayers" is not only paranoid but a bit simple minded.I'm not accusing you of this by the way.

If you do want examples of businessmen stealing from taxpayers look no further than the monopolistic Sino-Thai tycoons who drained the state banks before the Asian crisis, a deadly blend of greed, corruption and incompetence.They had no intention of paying their loans back.These people are still around:they detest globalization and the open economy that implies.Above all they hate and dread foreign competition.And do they support the junta? You bet they do.

You're correct, mid.... as it states in this thread where the topic is located:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1625364

Edited by sriracha john

You're correct, mid.... as it states in this thread where the topic is located:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1625364

Thread doesn't actually give the more detailed background I was looking for.Part of the problem is that many people including some posters here don't seem to have much knowledge if any of what an export import bank is supposed to do,namely in almost all cases supporting exporters with concessional financing.It's a matter of public policy how the financing gap is covered.I did ascertain that Shin companies represented only about 15% of the value of Thai companies supported here.Overall, while I suspect some balance sheet mismatch at Exim bank and possibly management weakness, there seems no prima facie case of "stealing Thai taxpayers money" on Thaksin's part.The real indictment under Thaksin was the Thai regime's excessively cosy political and business relationship with the deplorable Burmese junta, not that anything has changed now that Thailand has a junta of its own.

However I can't see that the Exim Burmese exposure has anything to do with Thaksin's corruption and certainly isn't any kind of indictable offence, with the caveat that if he signed off by himself the vires would need to be carefully checked.

I make this point at some length simply to demonstrate how the juntophiles will through ignorance or dishonesty distort any incident in their obsessive drive to tarnish Thaksin.When one looks at the detail the charges tend to ebb away into nothing.But it's already clear one can't expect intellectual honesty from this quarter.

The problem in my view, is that whilst the operation of EXIM, either here or elsewhere, is designed to facilitate inter-country commerce, it is but one of the issues which have to be addressed in relation to Thaksin's period in government. In short, if one looks at each 'allegation' it is often possible to say that in the particular situation the action was reasonable. Issue is though when you've said the same thing maybe 10 times, you start to discern a pattern. To paraphrase the section headings from Fleming's Goldfinger, Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, and thrice is enemy action. The pattern within the administration was clear to see, and the country has paid a high price for it.

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller

One thing Thaksin has shown that he only does something if there is money in it for him. I don’t remember exactly what the project was in Bangkok that was proposed, and it made all the sense in the world to do it. Thaksin did not do it because at that time it was somewhat graft bullet proof. Then about 4 months later they started the project under a different scheme that was clearly restructured to allow Thaksin getting a cut.

I have no doubt that eventually they will turn up dirt on everything he touched. Let us not forget he is using his family has human shields. He loves his money more than his children if he can do that.

One thing that is in the Thai’s favor, is eventually the UK will want Thaksin to leave when they get a good taste of what he is really all about if they don’t arrest him first.