Uk Pension For Brits Married To Thai Women

dressedingreen

Fascinating stuff, and thank you so much for bringing this to our attention.

May I ask what was required by the DWP to satisfy themselves that your wife was genuine?

After all, presumably this may be open to scams by elderly Brits going through a form of marriage in Thailand just to get a married man's pension?

When I claimed my UK state pension last year, I applied also for an additional pension appropriate to "someone" looking after my 6-year old daughter. This "someone " just happened to be my legal Thai wife who is also the mother of my daughter. To support this additional claim, I sent notarised English translations of our Thai marriage certificate, my wife's Thai birth certificate and our daughter's Thai birth certificate (she was born in Sri Racha).

I received confirmation quickly concerning my own state pension and, about two weeks after this, I had a telephone call from the International Section of the DWP. I was told that they were sending the notarised tanslations back to me as they wanted to see notarised copies of the originals. They would then have them translated in the UK rather than using a third party translation service in Thailand.....this is standard procedure and nothing related to Thailand. During the call, I asked what pension rights does my Thai wife have? I was told that she would not be applicable for a UK pension until she was of UK pensionable age but she would receive an immediate tax-free lump sum of 2,000 UK pounds on my death (Bereavement Benefit). There was a further delay of about one month before I received a back-dated additional pension and notification of my wife's NI number.

From reading the replies in this thread, I'm beginning to wonder if the process of obtaining a NI number for my wife and confirmation of her Bereavement Benefit was handled by soneone who ....who just didn't know!!!! But, the DWP International section called me in Thailand and all correspondence (both ways) was between the UK and Thailand. I think that I need to follow this up!!!!!

BTW Mobi, there is no such thing as a married man's pension.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[

BTW Mobi, there is no such thing as a married man's pension.

Of course - how stupid of me. (That bloody mad cow's disease again :o )

So what we are talking about is a bereavement allowance and a widow's pension/benefit when I die.

I shall look at the government sites and see under what circumstances widows may qualify in the UK (e.g. is it 'means tested'). If it looks a go-er, I'll see what I can do about getting Mrs Mobi an NI number.

I'll report back :D

re pension for thai wife, yes yes you can claim i did not try for four years after my 65th birthday and only claimed for a single mans pension, after four years applied for a married mans pension and was granted 50pounds a week also 4,000pounds pack pension, hope this helps.

I've just been trawling through the DWP website and have developed brain ache. I shall give it another go later.

So far, a few observations:

They are very coy - i.e do not provide any specific information on either which countries will freeze your pension, and how you get an NI number for you wife. In both cases, you must contact them to get further information.

The current basic pension is 87.30 per week (provided you qualify for 100% pension by virtue of your NI contributions)

Many, including me, are also entitled to an "additional State Pension" (SERPS) if you made contributions during the relevant period. Worth checking into as mine is around 53 quid a week.

We have already established that there is no married man's pension, per se, but I think what sniffer is referring to is an additional allowance for a 'non - working wife' - i.e. a dependant. Additionally there seems to be a bereavement and/or widow's pension available to such people when you die. This is the area that has given me brain ache, and it is still unclear to me exactly what our rights and/or our wife's rights are when we die.

Going back to the "Serps" pension, it also seems pretty clear that you widow will be entitled to receive 50% of this after your death.

Anyone have anything more to add to this?

I was reading, in the Pattaya forum, about the UK government's decision to freeze pensions for expats from the day they leave the UK. I'd been aware of this for some time, and I understand it goes to the ECHR in a month or so. Hopefully, they'll rule in favour of the complainants. It IS, IMO, grossly unfair to freeze payments at the old rate just because someone has chosen to live their dotage out abroad.

I've known an elderly British citizen residing in Thailand for years and for years he's told me his pension was frozen at some rate going back to the 1980's when he first came over here and that he's never received an increase.

Are you saying that this is not the case and that the British government is only now contemplating making this stipulation on its retired overseas citizens? Personally, not being British, I don't know... and he's certainly not above being confused about something... particularly when it involves governmental bureaucracy.

For duceahearts:

Not sure why your first link regarding the marriage issue didn't dynamically link, but here it is:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140813

SJ There's been loads of thread on this topic.

The situation is that if UK pensioners move permanently overseas, it will depend which country they move as to whether their pension will be frozen. This has always been the case and nothing new has happened.

I think the OP is confused by ongoing appeals by various groups to get this ruling overturned. Some South African residents (whose pensions are also frozen) took their case to the high courts, and then the House of Lords where their appeals were rejected. I think they are now trying in the European court to get the decision overturned. Also there is Thailand based group that has a web site and is trying to get some sort of petition together to lobby the UK government.

As you might have guessed, Thailand is another country where pensioners have their pensioners frozen, yet perversely, pensioners in the USA do get the annual increases.

Correct, it has all to do with payments being made under reciprocal social security arrangements with the UK by those countries, other than those in the EU the following also allow cost of living rises to the state pension (Note: Company Pensions are not included they generally are excempt from this) Barbados, Bermuda, Cyprus, Gibralter, Guernsey, IOM, Isreal, Jamaica, Jersey,Malta, Mauritius, Phillipines, Switzerland, Turkey USA....But as stated Alas NOT THAILAND!!

Very interesting subject I am a pensioer,and I say in thailand on a 1 year visa but i am not a resient what makes you a resident .ie. not living in the UK?

Possible ways of gaining the increase is to.....

Keep a UK address! Have it paid into a UK Bank Account! and dont tell them where you are, whose to know you dont spend many months travelling after all you are retired!!

I've just been trawling through the DWP website and have developed brain ache. I shall give it another go later.

They are very coy - i.e do not provide any specific information on either which countries will freeze your pension, and how you get an NI number for you wife. In both cases, you must contact them to get further information.

The current basic pension is 87.30 per week (provided you qualify for 100% pension by virtue of your NI contributions)

Many, including me, are also entitled to an "additional State Pension" (SERPS) if you made contributions during the relevant period. Worth checking into as mine is around 53 quid a week.

We have already established that there is no married man's pension, per se, but I think what sniffer is referring to is an additional allowance for a 'non - working wife' - i.e. a dependant. Additionally there seems to be a bereavement and/or widow's pension available to such people when you die. This is the area that has given me brain ache, and it is still unclear to me exactly what our rights and/or our wife's rights are when we die.

Going back to the "Serps" pension, it also seems pretty clear that you widow will be entitled to receive 50% of this after your death.

When my wife had her interveiw for her NI number, it was quite a process, but things may of changed again now, my wife had to sit through an interveiw for about 1 hour, had to show passport and dates of arrival and departure out of the UK etc, what got my back up is that they would not let me sit through the interveiw with her, as then her English was not up to scratch, she could speak English fine but had trouble understanding some of the red tape been asked to her.

re pension for thai wife, yes yes you can claim i did not try for four years after my 65th birthday and only claimed for a single mans pension, after four years applied for a married mans pension and was granted 50pounds a week also 4,000pounds pack pension, hope this helps.

Were you living in the UK or Thailand when you claimed for your wife? A friend of mine is planning to retire to Thailand in the near future. At the moment he doesn't get the pension allowance for his wife because she is working but has been told he will be entitled to an extra £52-30 when she stops work. But as it's a 'dependants allowance' he's not sure if if he is still entitled to it if he's not living in the UK. Does anybody know?

ronw can you please share with us how we get an NI number for our wives whilst we are not in the UK? You say it is easy.............HOW? :o

Sorry about the delay in answering...but have been into hospital......and out of touch.....

Anyway,...I did not say it was easy....I said that it can be done....below is a piece which i have written tosend to interested folk......hope it helps....

I got married Dec 2004..and applied for the extra cash within the month....only to be told that in order to claim the extra....my wife needed a Nat Ins No....

Further enquiries gave the info that NI Nos were only issued in person, in the UK...

I was also told that the NI No could not be issued to anyone on a visitors or tourist visa.....and I could not get a settlement visa because "we would become a burden on the state"...

I could see no way out of this, until I learned that a chap in Pattaya had managed to get a NI No for his wife, whilst still in LOS....

I contacted him.....he said that it had taken him over two years of struggle to get it.

I take my hat off to him.....such persistence!

I then re-applied,and kept badgering the pension service by email, phone and letter,

I was asked for much paperwork...for which they asked one at a time....and when I eventually told them that there was a precedent for issuing the number..they finally issued the number... and paid all arrears...back to the date of my marriage.. all this took me 15 months from the day of the re-application.....but it was worth it....

hope this of some help......be prepared to battle.....but the extra cash is an ENTITLEMENT and is not a discretionary grant...you have paid for it....

keep the faith.................ron

Guest jonzboy

This is a great thread guys, thanks for all the helpful contributions.

For anyone wanting to know more about the ECHR appeal, this website has all the background, including a recent bit of news explaining the delay

http://www.byte.co.za/britishpensioners/

I'd like to clarify a few things. Anyone who is entitled to a basic pension having paid their NI contributions, whether Class 1 whilst living in UK, or Class 2/3 whilst overseas, or a combination of these, will also qualify for a widow's pension which is payable overseas. Also, once you and your spouse reach retirement age, the basic pension is payable at the married persons rate. I do not believe that a spouse needs a NI number in order to qualify for benefits arising from the marriage, as it is discriminatory. The fact that some posters have circumvented this apparent hurdle through arguing their case proves this point.

As i said in another thread, do the maths on this. If you don't have 30 years of NI contributions in, and even if you have zero contributions so far, it is not too late to start now providing you qualify (i.e. lived in UK for three years before moving abroad), and you can buy back up to six years of unpaid contributions.

Using today's money, 30 years of contributions at 30 quid a month means you pay out 10,800 pounds, quite a lot, yeah? But once you reach 65, as a married couple, you get £139 per week, or £7250 per year

tax free if you have no other UK income

even if you don't get this index linked, it is still a bargain investment.

There are guys I work with here in HK who did not do this before, and are now making amends, especially as the 30 year contribution for max benefits was introduced this summer

For anyone wanting to know more about the ECHR appeal, this website has all the background, including a recent bit of news explaining the delay

I'd like to clarify a few things. Anyone who is entitled to a basic pension having paid their NI contributions, whether Class 1 whilst living in UK, or Class 2/3 whilst overseas, or a combination of these, will also qualify for a widow's pension which is payable overseas. Also, once you and your spouse reach retirement age, the basic pension is payable at the married persons rate. I do not believe that a spouse needs a NI number in order to qualify for benefits arising from the marriage, as it is discriminatory. The fact that some posters have circumvented this apparent hurdle through arguing their case proves this point.

As i said in another thread, do the maths on this. If you don't have 30 years of NI contributions in, and even if you have zero contributions so far, it is not too late to start now providing you qualify (i.e. lived in UK for three years before moving abroad), and you can buy back up to six years of unpaid contributions.

Using today's money, 30 years of contributions at 30 quid a month means you pay out 10,800 pounds, quite a lot, yeah? But once you reach 65, as a married couple, you get £139 per week, or £7250 per year

There are guys I work with here in HK who did not do this before, and are now making amends, especially as the 30 year contribution for max benefits was introduced this summer

Good post and thank you - it is all helping our understanding of this complex subject.

May I , with respect, may I make few comments on what you have written.

The people who have written in this thread about getting pensions for their wives have all stated that the key to the pension was in fact to get their wife an NI number, and that this was the big hurdle that they finally overcame. Yet you are saying they don't need an NI number. So I'm still confused on this.

I am also confused about your reference to a "married couple's pension" By this do you mean your own pension (current full rate 87.30 per week) plus your dependant wife's allowance? I have looked at the DWP website and cannot find any reference to a "married pension", so I would be grateful if you could clarify this.

Thank you

Good post and thank you - it is all helping our understanding of this complex subject.

May I , with respect, may I make few comments on what you have written.

The people who have written in this thread about getting pensions for their wives have all stated that the key to the pension was in fact to get their wife an NI number, and that this was the big hurdle that they finally overcame. Yet you are saying they don't need an NI number. So I'm still confused on this.

I am also confused about your reference to a "married couple's pension" By this do you mean your own pension (current full rate 87.30 per week) plus your dependant wife's allowance? I have looked at the DWP website and cannot find any reference to a "married pension", so I would be grateful if you could clarify this.

Thank you

Try This

http://www.ageconcern.org.uk/AgeConcern/Do...ENSIONAPR07.pdf

Tafia, Thanks very much for the Age Concern link, it's a very clear and concise summary of the subject.

Regarding the petition to Downing Street in favour of unfreezing expat pensions, I have signed it, but with misgivings that these petitions can actually do more harm than good. Unless they attract signatures into the millions as some have done on fuel/ road pricing issues, and therefore give a strong indication of electoral unpopularity, all they are liable to do is to provide a statistic for the bureaucrats "proving" that there is no serious opposition to current policy. I have in mind the petition protesting against the great hike in charges for visas and applications for Leave to Remain, which racked up about 5000 votes - a mere fleabite, and of course it's been totally ignored.

I hope the pensions protest will gain more ground. The other thing to do is for all expats to make sure they register to vote.

Yes - change you location in Asia from Thailand to the Phillipines. This is not meant as another "Knock Thailand" post, but if you live in the Philippines, you get parity. The link was hidden in the FAQ files under (Unless a mod deletes it :D :

http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/ipc/faqs.asp#thirteen

The actual words are:

Which countries does the UK have a social security agreement with?

The countries referred to in the these FAQs which the UK has social security agreements with are: Barbados, Bermuda, Bosnia-Hercegovina, Croatia, Israel, Jamaica, Jersey and Guernsey, Mauritius, Montenegro, Philippines, Serbia, Turkey, USA, and the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.

I understand you must be living predominatly there, which to my understanding is 6 month in Phillippines and the other 6 months somewhere else, which could be Thailand.

The possible good point of this is :o being out the counrty, your 800,000 Baht will only be half used, so making the top-up for your "OA retirement" extension less painful....

Yes - change you location in Asia from Thailand to the Phillipines. This is not meant as another "Knock Thailand" post, but if you live in the Philippines, you get parity. The link was hidden in the FAQ files under (Unless a mod deletes it :D :

http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/ipc/faqs.asp#thirteen

The actual words are:

Which countries does the UK have a social security agreement with?

The countries referred to in the these FAQs which the UK has social security agreements with are: Barbados, Bermuda, Bosnia-Hercegovina, Croatia, Israel, Jamaica, Jersey and Guernsey, Mauritius, Montenegro, Philippines, Serbia, Turkey, USA, and the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.

I understand you must be living predominatly there, which to my understanding is 6 month in Phillippines and the other 6 months somewhere else, which could be Thailand.

The possible good point of this is :o being out the counrty, your 800,000 Baht will only be half used, so making the top-up for your "OA retirement" extension less painful....

For what it is worth I have a letter from HM Revenue & Customs dated 12 June 2007. In it are the following quotes:

''You can claim a dependant wife increase when you reach age 65 regardless of your wife's age and residence status. You will need to send the pensions office a copy of your marriage certificate at the time you make your claim".

I rang the contact number on this letter tonight only to be re-directed to the DWP website under pension reforms. The staff member was not particularly helpful stating only that these reforms would have an effect on dependant wives. Despite his assurance I have found the DWP website impossible to find the relevant information.

I then rang a contact number for DWP and the lady stated more or less what was contained in the letter of 12 June. She further added that they would need a notarized copy and translation of the marriage certificate plus my wife's birth certificate in order to obtain a National Insurance number and consequently receive the additional pension allowance. (My wife doesn't have a birth certificate. Anyone know the system in this country for obtaining one?).

All in all I am quite confused with the various comments coming from British Civil Servants.

Slightly off topic but I immigrated to NZ after completing my service with the british army (service pension inflation linked).I opted to play "catch up" on my Uk contributions to my retirement pension because the NZ government stop your pension completely if you leave the country for more than six months so I do not want the NZ government to get their sticky hands on it.My services pension is paid int my UK bank account and this is where I have opted to get my retirement pension paid to,and have also given them a UK address so I should get annual increments!!!?.I have claimed for my dependent Thai wife.My application is with them at the moment ( I'm 65 in Dec),so now it is wait and see.

Guest jonzboy

to clatify the questions arising from my earlier post

firstly, i am not an expert who has been there, done that, but at least I have been keeping my eye on the subject since leaving UK as an expat and in anticipation of receiving benefits when I reach 65

the ageconcern document is useful if a little dated about pension reforms of this year, having said that it clarifies the married person status. There are two categories. Category one is the wife who has no benefits (or limited benefits in her own right). This category means that the weekly basic pension is boosted by a maximum of £52.30

The second category is a wife who has full benefits in her own right. The husband/wife couple will receive £87.30 each.

As for the NI number. The more recent post says it all. You notify DWP of your rights. They process your situation, examine proof of the claim, etc, and then pay you your basic pension accordingly. The NI number is nothing more than a reference number. That being my opinion, not a fact.

Yes, some people claim to live where they are not, and with hundreds of thousands of pensioners living overseas and affected by the no index-linked situation, it would be difficult to check up on each and every one. That's a personal choice.

Hope this helps.

For what it is worth I have a letter from HM Revenue & Customs dated 12 June 2007. In it are the following quotes:

''You can claim a dependant wife increase when you reach age 65 regardless of your wife's age and residence status. You will need to send the pensions office a copy of your marriage certificate at the time you make your claim".

I rang the contact number on this letter tonight only to be re-directed to the DWP website under pension reforms. The staff member was not particularly helpful stating only that these reforms would have an effect on dependant wives. Despite his assurance I have found the DWP website impossible to find the relevant information.

I then rang a contact number for DWP and the lady stated more or less what was contained in the letter of 12 June. She further added that they would need a notarized copy and translation of the marriage certificate plus my wife's birth certificate in order to obtain a National Insurance number and consequently receive the additional pension allowance. (My wife doesn't have a birth certificate. Anyone know the system in this country for obtaining one?).

All in all I am quite confused with the various comments coming from British Civil Servants.

My wife doesn't have a birth certificate either - it's a fairly modern idea.

I sent an original marriage certificate (we have 2) in Thai for them to translate and a certified copy of the her ID card. DWP accepted this. Copy of House Reg. might also help.

Still in the middle of a long battle because they didn't send me a pension assessment just started sending me a single pension. Took 8 years to find that out!

Roger, Surin

I too thank Tafia for the website link. While obviously not totally up to date, it is nevertheless very helpful, and answers most, if not all my questions. It would certainly appear that once the man reaches 65, he can make a claim for wife, regardless of her age, provided he is supporting her and she doesn't work; and when he dies, she will receive a widow's pension.

The big hurdle is to get the DWP to 'accept' the Thai wife, who has never lived in England. This seems to be achievable, (as some have attested to) and is clearly our right.

Jonzboy I agree with you about the NI number. Obviously the trick is to get the Thai wife in the system. Once this is achieved, she will automatically be given an NI number for reference. So we shouldn't be applying for a NI number, we should be applying for our wives to receive a pension.

As for confusing responses from UK government help lines - this is very normal. They are not the fountain of knowledge they appear to be (especially if it is something out of the ordinary) and treat anything they say with a degree of scepticism. I can relate endless instances where I was given incorrect or misleading information over the telephone from Government helplines.

I too thank Tafia for the website link. While obviously not totally up to date, it is nevertheless very helpful, and answers most, if not all my questions. It would certainly appear that once the man reaches 65, he can make a claim for wife, regardless of her age, provided he is supporting her and she doesn't work; and when he dies, she will receive a widow's pension.

The big hurdle is to get the DWP to 'accept' the Thai wife, who has never lived in England. This seems to be achievable, (as some have attested to) and is clearly our right.

Jonzboy I agree with you about the NI number. Obviously the trick is to get the Thai wife in the system. Once this is achieved, she will automatically be given an NI number for reference. So we shouldn't be applying for a NI number, we should be applying for our wives to receive a pension.

As for confusing responses from UK government help lines - this is very normal. They are not the fountain of knowledge they appear to be (especially if it is something out of the ordinary) and treat anything they say with a degree of scepticism. I can relate endless instances where I was given incorrect or misleading information over the telephone from Government helplines.

Here's another link with email access to the Dept of Work & Pensions

The Pension Service

Under the enacted regulations, pensioners living in certain overseas countries (E.g. USA) will receive the annual pension increases, whereas others

(e.g. Thailand and South Africa) have their pension rate frozen when they take up residence in that country. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to it, but that's the way it is.

Interesting choice of words there.

How many members are recognised as resident in Thailand

very few I suspect.

A year by year retirement visa is not a residence permit. :o

Probably you are like me, not resident ANYWHERE?

Not in Thailand and no longer in the UK either.

We have paid our dues, we save the UK government the cost of health care,

and the get treated like sh1t with our pensions frozen at retirement......... :D :D

Under the enacted regulations, pensioners living in certain overseas countries (E.g. USA) will receive the annual pension increases, whereas others

(e.g. Thailand and South Africa) have their pension rate frozen when they take up residence in that country. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to it, but that's the way it is.

very few I suspect.

and the get treated like sh1t with our pensions frozen at retirement......... :D:D

Yes, of course you are quite right.

In particular as far as the Uk is concerened I am non resident for tax purposes, and if I can sort it I will be non domiciled as well.

But I'm certainly not resident in Thailand - I'm just a bit of jetsam floating on the waves - always and forever at the whim of Thai immigration officers...... :D

very few I suspect.

and the get treated like sh1t with our pensions frozen at retirement......... :D :D

I do know a couple of pensioners who get there central heating allowance whilst living in Thailand, nice one, i laugh about this i say to them it should be air conditioning alowance :D , you cannot blame them, they have paid into the system so why not, this is a good topic and has also put my mind at rest about pension for myself and the wife, Thanks Guys.......keep em coming

I do know a couple of pensioners who get there central heating allowance whilst living in Thailand, nice one,

i laugh about this i say to them it should be air conditioning alowance :D , you cannot blame them,

they have paid into the system so why not, this is a good topic and has also put my mind at rest about pension for myself and the wife, Thanks Guys.......keep em coming

If that is the case then they are on the fiddle, using a UK address and not declaring their

real location to the UK authorities.

This seems the only way to go. :o

as i recall, the heating allowance is a one-off annual payment to all pensioners, no matter where they live

Sorry, but this is not true. :o Check out the wbsite of "The Pension Service". Winter fuel payments are applicable to a limited range of countries.

United Kingdom (UK)

The UK comprising England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. It does not include the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands.

European Union (EU)

The EU comprises Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Ireland, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom. From 04/05, a further 10 countries joined the EU: Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia.From 07/08 it also includes Romania and Bulgaria.

European Economic Area (EEA)

The EEA comprises all 25 EU countries and Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

Gibraltar

For Winter Fuel Payment purposes the same rules apply to Gibraltar as for EEA countries.

Switzerland

Switzerland is not a member of the EEA, but signed an agreement with the EU countries in June 2002 to apply EU rules on social security which was extended in May 2006 to include the 10 countries that joined the EU on 1 May 2004.The agreement does not currently extend to Bulgaria and Romania or to the EEA countries of Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway.

Edited by Taijitu