Bed Sheets

NewGuy

I want to buy a king-sized fitted and a flat sheet, with the standard pillow and bolster cases, in Bangkok. In Pattaya there are few choices and prices seem excessive. I heard there was a percent-off sale at Central World. Is it worth going, how about the selection, where else? My girl likes light blue with some kind of pattern. I like 100% cotton with over 200 thread count.

Any department store frequently has sales on bedding... don't ask me why. But for a good alternative and almost always cheap prices, go to Chatuchak Weekend Market. Perhaps Suan Lum Night Bazaar will have bedding as well though I suspect it will be more expensive than Chatuchak.

I want to buy a king-sized fitted and a flat sheet, with the standard pillow and bolster cases, in Bangkok. In Pattaya there are few choices and prices seem excessive. I heard there was a percent-off sale at Central World. Is it worth going, how about the selection, where else? My girl likes light blue with some kind of pattern. I like 100% cotton with over 200 thread count.

Very cheap things can get rough and you can see through them after several washings.

Likewise, cheap towels are bad in soaking off the water.

There is one criteria of excellence to go by with bedding: 250 threads per 10 square centimeters of fabric.

If you have stayed at expensive hotels and remember how cushy and smooth the bedding was - that's why.

Sheratons where I stayed in Australia had Australian "Sheridan" brand bedding. Since I noticed the sticker, all my bedsheets and towels were replaced by that brand. Not only they are smoother and more comfortable - they are durable too, they are of industrial strength. Google for "Sheridan" and you will get an idea what them and their competitors are in.

Prices of good things won't be lower than in the west. Then, we know where to look for them.... Emporium, Paragon, Central....

Quality, high thread count, sheet are more expensive in Thailand than the US. I don't know why this is but they are a lot more expensive. I assume this would be true for other countries. I get mine in the US if I can. Otherwise just buy the cheaper ones.

Where can you buy 250 threads (or even higher quality) cotton linen in Bangkok?

Maybe one has to go to a hotel supplier, does anyone know one?

Are the Sheratons linens not better than 250 threads? They are amazing and I have been wanting the same ones for so long but could never find any of the same quality in any department store.

I usually buy the ones with the highest thread count they have but at home they are never ever the same heavy quality as the ones they have in 5 star hotels ...

Are the Sheratons linens not better than 250 threads? They are amazing and I have been wanting the same ones for so long but could never find any of the same quality in any department store.

I usually buy the ones with the highest thread count they have but at home they are never ever the same heavy quality as the ones they have in 5 star hotels ...

The bedding dept. in the Emporium Dept. Store has bedding of better quality that 250 thread count. Not cheap, however. I'm fairly sure that the last set I bought is 500.

Robinson in Suk Soi 19 (and presume other stores) has a bedding range called the "Hallmark Hotel Collection" - thread count is about 400 I think but its not cheap (think 5,000b for a King duvet cover) but it felt very nice even before it had been washed. I did not buy it as I did not have my car with me and could not be bothered lugging it back on the skytrain. The Jaspal Interior store next to the overpriced Ethan Allen furniture shop (walking down towards soi 15) also has a very good selction of Jaspal bed linen of similar quality.

Whatever you do, don't do what I did. First time in my life I ever bought bed sheets was in 1996. I was working near GaySorn plaza so went in there during lunch, went to the first store that seemed to sell them. Bought a king size set, duvet cover, sheet, pillow cases etc. Came to 17,000 Baht. Since I'd never bought sheets before I thought that was the normal price.

Wasn't until years later and I came to buy another set and actually did some research I realised those sheets should have been made of gold thread.

And the sad thing is they weren't even that good.

Central currently has a sale on sheets, 25% - 60% off, as part of the store's anniversary celebration. Includes the entire stock, really nice stuff.

Thanks for that info. I will go today and have a look see.

I bought a new bed this week and got the complimentary sheets, pillows etc.. I think the thread count is about 14 :o , but the bed is superb.

• 2 months later...

AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So Smooooooth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hehehehehe.....

After some months of sleeping on Tesco-purchased 65/35% queen bedding, which felt spectacularly uncomfortable especially in BKK's always warm weather, I made a bit of shopping a priority on my recent Christmas Holidays trip home to the states...

The result: a brand new queen sheet set (1 fitted, 1 flat and two pillow cases) of 100% Egyptian cotton, made in India, at 500 thread count. Kmart, of all places, was having a sale just before Christmas of its Martha Stewart (no jokes!!) brand, so I paid a bit less than $50 (1,700 baht) for what KMART regularly retailed at $90. Put them on the bed today for the first time and they feel GREAT.... So much of a comfort difference in sleeping.

More than a bit galling that the same kinds/quality of sheets here seem to retail in the $150 (5,000) baht neighborhood at the better department stores, and the Thai based products NEVER include the flat sheet that I really want, instead substituting the two long bolster covers that I never use.

I dearly love Thailand, but some things, you just have to get back home. Nighty nite!!!! --John.

• 8 months later...

Actually the Sheraton, Pininsular, Westin, and JW marriott use Egyptian cotton ranging from 250 - 400 thread count. They also have a mix of hungarian duck/goose feather products. I know this because my partner company supplies them.

If you are interested, drop me a mail.

[email protected]

Central currently has a sale on sheets, 25% - 60% off, as part of the store's anniversary celebration. Includes the entire stock, really nice stuff.

I concur about Central Chidlom, ingore the thai staff mind you that couldnt tell the difference between King and Queen size.

The bedding there is not cheap but once I got over it, I must say that it's nice to sleep in quality bedding everynight.

Have tried the JJ market stuff in the past and now would rather cut a night out of partying and invest in good linens for the price difference.

zzzzzzzzzz

Does anyone know where to get California King sheets for fat mattresses?

(It's a wonderful cushy mattress, but a bad idea when it comes to getting sheets)

I've had my present sheets for a year (Australia) and I'm giving up on the possibility of the elastic ever stretching out far enough so I don't wrench my wrist each time.

• 6 months later...
Whatever you do, don't do what I did. First time in my life I ever bought bed sheets was in 1996. I was working near GaySorn plaza so went in there during lunch, went to the first store that seemed to sell them. Bought a king size set, duvet cover, sheet, pillow cases etc. Came to 17,000 Baht. Since I'd never bought sheets before I thought that was the normal price.

Wasn't until years later and I came to buy another set and actually did some research I realised those sheets should have been made of gold thread.

And the sad thing is they weren't even that good.

What did you sleep on before 1996. Corrugated iron, plywood, maybe the floor :o

Central recently (maybe still) had a nice sale on bedding. I got 3 new sets of sheets, bought two and the third was free. They were expensive, but they are nice. Very comfortable cotton sheets. I didn't notice if they had white or not, but I think they would.

I once bought sheets at Big C and I swear they were made of shredded, recycled plastic! They were horrible. I now spend a lot more money, but it's a reasonably good investment because you do spend a fair amount of time in bed and it's not like you have to buy them all that often.

(By the way, those Big C sheets didn't last long either)!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

For some reason I find that even in the stores selling high thread count cotton here, I don't like the feel of the cotton. They say it's 100% cotton, but it always feels like some poly-cotton blend (even the top of the line ones in most of the stores mentioned). I gave up early on here, waited until I had to go back to Canada, and then looked for sales on minimum 300 thread count sheets. I've never found anything here that comes close to what I've brought from home.

There was a thread a while ago about what you still need to get from home, I've found or accepted the loss of everything else but cotton. Bedsheets and underwear are the only things left for me that I need from Canada (well, and larger gauge electrical wire, but I don't put that in my regular pile).