If Farang Could Legally Own Land...

It depends. If we were allowed to own a home I doubt it would make much difference as those who wish to own one now do through spouses or 30 year land leases. In that case I doubt there would be much effect. If foreigners were allowed to speculate on unlimited amounts of land then yes, it would probably skyrocket.

It depends. If we were allowed to own a home I doubt it would make much difference as those who wish to own one now do through spouses or 30 year land leases. In that case I doubt there would be much effect. If foreigners were allowed to speculate on unlimited amounts of land then yes, it would probably skyrocket.

There are many who have been here for well over a decade and not bought land or gone for the 30yr lease option. The longer you stay the more nightmare stories you hear, thus becoming cautious. Of those who bought land, particularly in tourist areas I'd be interested in what % are long term stayers.

Land prices in Bangkok and tourist areas are already high, if the rules changed then the may increase but not skyrocket.

Rural prices on the other hand are much cheaper and I imagine these would rise considerably. Especially with the retired and semi retired buying land and building houses in the GF's village.

how would it change the prices?

would they stay the same or go higher?

personally, i think the prices would skyrocket in places like phuket and the islands, the outer limits of bangkok, and rise everywhere else.

for sure the prices would skyrocket, especially the beachfront- and seaview plots. actally you can buy beachfront for apporox 600 usd/sqm and seaview for 150 usd. this is by far not the end. i could imagine that the cream pieces could be trippled very easy.

I think you can look to Hawaii to see the effect of outsiders buying up property. Let foreign non-residents come in and buy land for investment and speculation benefits the fat cats in both countries, but the average Joe ends up paying higher rent and home prices. That is if they can even afford to live in one of those places. I do think Thailand should allow home ownership to foreigners you have a family here or are permanent residents, but with checks to protect against people marrying just to get that.