So Who Doesnt Want To Live Here?

actiondell4

A lot of us want to eventually move to Thailand full time,we are working towards our goals of having enough financially or waiting until retirement age.

A lot on this forum is people wanting or going to move to Thailand.

Questions is,how many of you have no intention of moving to Thailand full time and would rather be once or more a year tourists,even when you retire?

On another thread I posted about how i had met a 67yo guy who lives in Pattaya on his pension and would rather live their than in the Govt housing estate he was living in previously in Sydney.

I also met a older guy 79yo from the U.K who has no intention of moving to Thailand but comes twice a year for 4 weeks each.

He had been bashed about 4 days before i spoke to him by 2 thai youths who had bashed him and robbed him,so he

wasnt in exactly a jovial mood but he told me he had daughters in the U.K and grandkids so he preferred to live near them.

He was quite a frail guy so i guess he wouldnt/shouldnt be here without a carer,he was wearing bandages on his face from skin cancer and the bashing he had received.

Apparently they stole his credit cards,but apart from that he still had no intention on moving to LOS full time.

I also met a Kiwi guy who was shocked at the thought of moving to Thailand full time,he said his Maori heritage didnt permit him to be buried in another country,i nearly laughed,because he got so angry when i mentioned it to him.

Edited by actiondell4

I used to visit Thailand. Then I moved here. Then I left and came back for visits. Then I moved here, again, then left, then moved here again.

It's much more fun to visit than to live here, but that's probably true of most places.

Best of luck to you.

There are some nice places in the 3 southern provinces and I am guessing the rent is cheap!

By the way, Bkk gets a little too chaotic and hectic.

if i had to live in bkk i would have lasted a couple of months ,living in samui is much more laid back if you stay away from the riff raff.

A lot of us want to eventually move to Thailand full time,we are working towards our goals of having enough financially or waiting until retirement age.

Questions is,how many of you have no intention of moving to Thailand full time and would rather be once or more a year tourists,even when you retire?

On another thread I posted about how i had met a 67yo guy who lives in Pattaya on his pension and would rather live their than in the Govt housing estate he was living in previously in Sydney.

I also met a older guy 79yo from the U.K who has no intention of moving to Thailand but comes twice a year for 4 weeks each.

He had been bashed about 4 days before i spoke to him by 2 thai youths who had bashed him and robbed him,so he

wasnt in exactly a jovial mood but he told me he had daughters in the U.K and grandkids so he preferred to live near them.

He was quite a frail guy so i guess he wouldnt/shouldnt be here without a carer,he was wearing bandages on his face from skin cancer and the bashing he had received.

Apparently they stole his credit cards,but apart from that he still had no intention on moving to LOS full time.

I also met a Kiwi guy who was shocked at the thought of moving to Thailand full time,he said his Maori heritage didnt permit him to be buried in another country,i nearly laughed,because he got so angry when i mentioned it to him.

for me personally, sometimes living here can get stressed, i call them a bad thai day! overall 90% happy living here, then you think of home and miss it in a way, but many people say they glad to get back to thier homeland but after 2 days want to return once again to thailand, so that sees me through the bad thai days, the grass is greener etc.

it can be dificult for expats getting used to a different way of life, but ill bet its the same for thais having to put up with many problems we cause.

just my thoughts

thank you

You can count me in as one of those who can't wait to move to Thailand to live, to work, to be happy. And if I were to be honest, I'd rather be poor and moderately happy over there than living the good life with everything at my disposal here. I have ceased trying to explain the allure of Thailand (especially to the parents who are still givin me looks of puzzlement who basically still can't get over the number of roaches and rats allowed to breed freely among us humans and wonder how their daughter who has never cooked her own meals nor done her own laundry can think about moving over to a place where she has to fend for her own) and decided that I'm going to move there whatever it takes.

I can imagine how much stronger a bloke would feel about living there since I'm already quite obsessed with the whole situation and I am but a girl. :o

almost without exception thailand will quite quickly demystify itself once you come live here, and pretty soon the fantasy gets separated from the reality, some people get disillusioned while others adapt and learn to accept a more flawed version of their imagined thailand. overall i would say most people learn to adapt and remain largely contented, like me.

in a perfect world i would be spending part of my life here in Bkk and the rest in other asia pacific cities, but since i have to work here i'm quite happy to be spending most of my life in thailand right now, and sometimes i get lazy to travel for holidays because here is where holiday makers end up anyway.

but as a long term thing i'd go back and retire in australia simply because of the better environment and much better heathcare. i still call australia home.

I despise the concept of groveling before bureaucrats. The concept of endless visa renewals and the prospect of living under a 30 year lease instead of secure ownership pretty much gaurantee that I will never live in Thailand. I'd never be able to endure the bureaucracy. If ten year visas and secure home ownership were possible I'd be very tempted to live there. If those rights existed the country would probably be so flooded with Euro Americans that I would want to escape there as much as I want to escape North America.

Having been to 30-ish countries by the age of 25, there's no other country in the world I want to live in. Went home for 2 years (with 3 holidays here), made my money and moved back out.

Waiting until I'm old enough to get a pension just to live here would be kinda stupid.

Spending the next 60 years here makes more sense.

Yes, I want to live in Thailand - I thoroughly enjoyed my 5 years living & working in BKK, plus the fact that my wife is Thai means we will always have some kind of link to the kingdom.

BUT ... I don't want to live in Thailand "at any costs" ... I will only do so when I have got to the necessary financial level so that I can retire in Thailand with the lifestyle I desire (very subjective that), AND be well insulated from the vagaries of the annual visa requirements.

CC :o

Thailand is my favourite place to spend my leasure time but for full time living it would not my cup of tea. I have found that by spending about 3 months of every year in LOS, I am able to enjoy all the pleasures it offers and none of the disadvantages. Everything is relative so where money is no object, it is hard for me to beat Santa Barbara and Kona, so by splitting my time between the three, I am able to enjoy the best of all worlds.

I do understand why Thailand is an expat paradise for many. Thailand has a reasonable climate, great food, beautiful women, affordable medical care and inexpensive cost of living which are benefits that far exceed the basic needs of most of us. For someone on a restricted income, I think Thailand is a top choice for full time living despite some of the problems it can pose for farangs.

almost without exception thailand will quite quickly demystify itself once you come live here, and pretty soon the fantasy gets separated from the reality, some people get disillusioned while others adapt and learn to accept a more flawed version of their imagined thailand. overall i would say most people learn to adapt and remain largely contented, like me.

in a perfect world i would be spending part of my life here in Bkk and the rest in other asia pacific cities, but since i have to work here i'm quite happy to be spending most of my life in thailand right now, and sometimes i get lazy to travel for holidays because here is where holiday makers end up anyway.

but as a long term thing i'd go back and retire in australia simply because of the better environment and much better heathcare. i still call australia home.

Wise words. :o

I'd have difficulty making a full time commitment. Partly because I live in a great place as it is, with good health care and a strong economy. Summers here and winters in Thailand would be ideal, but that's not so easy to arrange.

I came here with my wife, two years ago... we have enjoyed the south... traveled around... saw Satun (city & province) as a place where we could really enjoy retiring... met great people... figure we could live quite well on our "resources"... fantastic islands and beaches... good quality and affordable medical care... still having trouble with the language (just lazy?)...

BUT... we have become quite disillusioned with the stupid, petty gov't rules, arbitrary changes to rules, hassles with useless freaking paperwork and bureaucracy... and the associated (increasing) costs of a worry-free retirement.

SO... we are the heck outta here in a few weeks - for greener pastures - on another continent - South America, here we come. Adios LOS, Halo Ecuador.

If we don't like Ecuador, then Argentina and Chile are on our "short list".

From my rigorous research, we expect to be treated much better and pay less for the privilege... and Spanish is a piece of cake, after my pathetic attempts at Mandarin and Thai over the last ten years.

See ya later folks!

You can count me in as one of those who can't wait to move to Thailand to live, to work, to be happy. And if I were to be honest, I'd rather be poor and moderately happy over there than living the good life with everything at my disposal here. I have ceased trying to explain the allure of Thailand (especially to the parents who are still givin me looks of puzzlement who basically still can't get over the number of roaches and rats allowed to breed freely among us humans and wonder how their daughter who has never cooked her own meals nor done her own laundry can think about moving over to a place where she has to fend for her own) and decided that I'm going to move there whatever it takes.

I can imagine how much stronger a bloke would feel about living there since I'm already quite obsessed with the whole situation and I am but a girl. :D

I really thought you are living in Thailand. :o

Well some of you are right,the "novelty" does wear off i suppose after staying there for quite a while.

As for gregbyn who was leaving Thailand,your not the first expat who said they were leaving,it appears after a few years most have had enough and go back West.

The thing is yes i want to move eventually to Thailand and in the last few years of visting about 3 times a year i was excited and planning on buying a house eventually etc etc.

I recently spent 3 months in Thailand,my longest holiday.but it appears the novelty had started to wear off as i started to get bored,the initial attraction and excitement wasnt there and i started to rethink if i could live there.

Im 37yo and still paying off a mortgage in Australia,but i still would have about 5 million baht left if i sold up everything,but now the eagerness to move their quickly has worn off,even i bought a business i dont know at this stage of life if i could live day after day there.

That 3 months and yes it cost a lot of money,but that 3 months long service leave i took from my Govt job really opened my eyes up to Pattaya/Thailand.

After a while and i never thought i would say this,but i was longing to be back in Sydney and funnily enough to go back to my work.

Little things started to irritate me in Thailand,people trying to charge you higher prices ,arrogant customer service etc etc,and i started to feel im too young at the moment and i would rather wait at least until another 10 years or so.

The sex was good and thats probaly what i go for most and i admit that,but now getting older it as not important to me.

In other words i think my eagerness to go to thailand was to have sex all the time ,go out to go go s,discos etc,but living there and even staying there the 3 months i worked out life living there wasnt like that.

I could sell my apartment in Sydney,resign from my Govt job of 18 years,and leave with 5 million baht and rush off to Pattaya and buy a business,i dont know what,and i would have nearly done that 2 years ago because i thought i had found love in Thailand back then,but now i dont keep "contacts" in pattaya that email me to tell me they love me etc,i just go for the fun time and remember its a business transaction with them for the night rather than a long term thing and i feel happier.

I have been thinking of late since coming back after 3 months,that my times not ready yet,i feel more happier to visit twice a year to get that "buzz" rather than move there.

maybe in another 10 years when im 47 or 50 i may think about it more.

almost without exception thailand will quite quickly demystify itself once you come live here, and pretty soon the fantasy gets separated from the reality, some people get disillusioned while others adapt and learn to accept a more flawed version of their imagined thailand.

This is certainly true for those who go there with stars in their eyes. :D However if one is taking the leap with nary an illusion/delusion, there is nothing to bust, especially if you see the place for all it's gritty, dirty, frenetic and disorganized madness and are still wanting to make the leap anyway. :o:D

Well you could say i became disulliosioned in my 3 months there.

The spark so to speak wasnt there.

I think living only 7 hours from Thailand has its benefit and im lucky to be earning around 150,000 baht per month in Australia before tax that is,even though my job is a boring govt job,i know anytime i can rush off to Thailand for 7 days etc.

I feel i would rather do that,stick my govt job and earn more before i rush off to thailand.

Before i was going about 4 to 5 times a year,at about 10 days each,splitting my annual holidays but now the "novelty" has worn off and to save money i think twice a year will be enough for a while.

If you had spoke to me 2 years ago,all i spoke and thought about was Thailand,now the "sparks" gone and i get this restlessness to look at other countries.

I get this fear that if i moved there and say bought a business for the savings i had that i wouldnt be able to financially achieve what i want,like travelling etc,and building up my superanuation fund,not to mention if it failed i probaly wouldnt get my Govt job back etc.

Well you could say i became disulliosioned in my 3 months there.

The spark so to speak wasnt there.

I wonder if there is a place on earth you could live where the "spark" is always there? I have lived here for 6+ years and there has not been a spark for a long time. But it is my home and i like living here. I left the UK because i didn't like living there not because i wanted something special. Maybe i am just happy living a simple life, (as are many others living here), or maybe some people expect too much after brief visits. Not generalising as everyone is different, but that's how i see it.

the grass is greener where you water it

if you want to live in thailand for the sake of living in thailand then go for it, but if you are moving to thailand to run away from something then you won't be any happier, as your problems will just be amplified by the stress of living in the third world. ultimately you have to be comfortable with yourself no matter where you go

personally, i liked thailand prior to the coup, living in a place where the boys in green run over both farang and thai rights does not appeal to me

i despise the junta and what thailand has become, nothing more and nothing less

Perhaps i am a bit detached from the "real" world. The coup/junta does not seem to have affected me or my family in any significant way.

I would be interested to know what problems have been caused. Perhaps there have been some changes in my area and i just didn't notice

Perhaps i am a bit detached from the "real" world. The coup/junta does not seem to have affected me or my family in any significant way.

I would be interested to know what problems have been caused. Perhaps there have been some changes in my area and i just didn't notice

I'm the same, been here for 6 years and haven't noticed a single change, its not like the Junta have affected my life in any way whatsoever.

I'm the same, been here for 6 years and haven't noticed a single change, its not like the Junta have affected my life in any way whatsoever.

All the Thais I do business with are complaining, the Thai-Chinese are complaining even more than usual.

I have also noticed a change in people's attitude, from one of optimism to general pessimism and worry when it comes to politics, the state of the economy and the country in general.

There's always winners and losers in business, sounds like you're just hanging around with the latter crowd.

All the Thais I do business with are complaining, the Thai-Chinese are complaining even more than usual.

I have also noticed a change in people's attitude, from one of optimism to general pessimism and worry when it comes to politics, the state of the economy and the country in general.

This is what i imagined but where i live no one ever worries about politics or the rest of the county for that matter. There has been no noticeable change in attitude either. As for the economy the attitude just seems to be "mai pen rai" (or however you chose to spell it)

Solo Siam, it's good to hear i'm not alone :o