Shengen Visa Specifics

I'm in Spain now and we were able to get my Thai girlfriend a Shenzen visa to come over and visit. She picks it up in a few days and she is permitted to travel to Madrid and the other Shenzen nations. I'm curious about some logistics if anybody can help.

Specifically, how soon after she arrives can she leave Spain and is she allowed to re-enter? Is her Visa the same as mine (I'm American) where I am allowed to freely roam around the EU countries as I please, or are there restrictions?

What I'd like to do is leave now (bored of Paella...) and go to Holland and have her catch a flight from Madrid to Holland when she arrives and meet me over there. Is that possible? Would she then be allowed to go with me to France and back to Spain later?

Any details appreciated.

And this forums participants are awesome. You guys have been extremely helpful in me getting this visa, both through direct questions and from old threads...I'd be glad to provide any information I can on how we were able to get the visa...either here or via PM, even if you see this thread in a year :o Thanks a lot for the help guys. You've brought some happiness to this farangs life.

A "Shenzhen visa" is a special type of Chinese visa given at the border between Hong Kong and the Mainland which permits a short visit to the Mainland city of Shenzhen right on the border.

I think you mean a Schengen visa.

(Not to be be fussy, but readers here who can help may not look at your post when it's got a confusing title.)

Edited by taxout

I'm in Spain now and we were able to get my Thai girlfriend a Shenzen visa to come over and visit. She picks it up in a few days and she is permitted to travel to Madrid and the other Shenzen nations. I'm curious about some logistics if anybody can help.

Specifically, how soon after she arrives can she leave Spain and is she allowed to re-enter? Is her Visa the same as mine (I'm American) where I am allowed to freely roam around the EU countries as I please, or are there restrictions?

What I'd like to do is leave now (bored of Paella...) and go to Holland and have her catch a flight from Madrid to Holland when she arrives and meet me over there. Is that possible? Would she then be allowed to go with me to France and back to Spain later?

Any details appreciated.

And this forums participants are awesome. You guys have been extremely helpful in me getting this visa, both through direct questions and from old threads...I'd be glad to provide any information I can on how we were able to get the visa...either here or via PM, even if you see this thread in a year :o Thanks a lot for the help guys. You've brought some happiness to this farangs life.

For one it only allows travel to other Schengen states, not to all EU members. Notable exceptions being the UK and the Rublic of Ireland. There is a major difference so just be clear about that. 2nd the way the whole thing works is there is no border control so she and you can travel to any Schengen state as easily as you can move between states in the US for example. Even the flights will be just like a domestic flight. So what you proposed is fine so long as she doesn't enter a non Schengen state.

.....you may freely roam around in the Schengen aera, but certainly not within every EU county.

I only hope your gf did apply for the correct visa meeting your/her travelling plans, when you read this information.

.... and be prepared for possible border controls when you enter Spain from France on the highway.

I'm pretty sure all this is only possible as long as its a 'multiple entry' schengen visa, not a single entry.

Jimmy

on a single entry you can travel wherever within countries which are signatories to the Schengen agreement within the validity of the visa. Which means she can land in spain and travel to France, Beligum, Holland, Italy etc etc, so long as she doesn't physically leave the Schengen area.

So no nipping across to London on the Eurostar for the day from paris for instance as they won't let you back in if you've only got a single entry visa. A multi entry visa would allow that though.

.....you may freely roam around in the Schengen aera, but certainly not within every EU county.

I only hope your gf did apply for the correct visa meeting your/her travelling plans, when you read this information.

.... and be prepared for possible border controls when you enter Spain from France on the highway.

When you have a Schengen Visa you can travel to any Schengen country. There are no frontiers and no customs anyway.

But When you go out Of the Schengen countries Your point of Deprture must be the same as your point of Arrival. If you first arrive in Spain you must leave from Spain.

Hi Guys,

Please note that the recipient of the Schengen visa must (MUST) enter the Schengen states via the country that issued the visa... No ifs, ands or buts on this one.

The recipient of a single entry Schengen visa may then tour the other Shengen signatory countries - no probs.

:o

...Please note that the recipient of the Schengen visa must (MUST) enter the Schengen states via the country that issued the visa... No ifs, ands or buts on this one.

What makes you so sure about this?

--

Maestro

Hi Guys,

Please note that the recipient of the Schengen visa must (MUST) enter the Schengen states via the country that issued the visa... No ifs, ands or buts on this one.

The recipient of a single entry Schengen visa may then tour the other Shengen signatory countries - no probs.

:o

Not correct, as far as I know, a holder of a schengen visa can enter the schengen area in any of the 15 member countries, regardless of the issuing country.

Of course the issuing country is supposed to be the main country or reason for visit, but this is not enforced in any way.

My Lao partner is currently in the Netherlands on his third Schengen visa, and he only needs to show up at the police station to get a sticker in his passport. Even if he doesn't show up, there are no repurcussions.

He is indeed free to travel to any of the 15 member states.

...Please note that the recipient of the Schengen visa must (MUST) enter the Schengen states via the country that issued the visa... No ifs, ands or buts on this one.

What makes you so sure about this?

--

Maestro

ChelseaBill is completely right. The first country of entry for the recipient of a Schengen visa must be that of the issuing country. No discussion possible about this. Hereafter you can travel freely within the Schengen area and you can fly home from any Schengen country you wish.

In case you try to enter the Schengen area in another country than that of the issuing country, in this case Spain, buy a ticket to let say Belgium, and try to get a boarding pass at the airport. However, the airline company will call Immigration (not the Thai) instead, who will take you apart with a lot of questions :o, besides, you will now get a remark behind your name in the SIS (Schengen Information System) which will make future visa applications more difficult.

If you doubt about this call any airline company or (Schengen) Embassy.

The information from Sjaak in Nederland is incorrect. His partner has a Schengen visa issued by The Netherlands, so his first country of entry must be The Netherlands.

^ please provide me with a link to any official document that states that the issuing country is also the country where someone has to travel to. I frequent a Dutch site, (buitenlandsepartner.nl) where there are actual cases, where people have entered the Schengen area in a different country then the issuing country, and no problems were reported. I couldn't find this requirement anywhere, and I have never been told this requirement exists.

Hello Sjaak,

I didn't visit the site buitenlandsepartner.nl yet, however, I copied this from the site of the Embassy of The Netherlands. You know where to find it.

You can also look at the site of Ministerie van Justitie in The Hague. I worked here before, that is why I told you about the SIS database which is partly available worldwide for Embassies and Immigration when screening passports and visa applications. It contains among others, names, photos, sofi numbers, passport numbers, deportations, at which embassies, where and when, you have applied for a visa and if it was granted or not, etc..

Here the text about the Schengen Visa, main destination means also first point of entry.

Where should you apply?

1. if you intend to visit the Netherlands as a particular Schengen country, you must apply at the Embassy of The Netherlands.

2. if you intend to visit several Schengen countries, but the Netherlands is your main destination, you must apply for a visa at the Embassy of The Netherlands.

3. if you intend to visit several Schengen countries but do not have a main destination, if the Netherlands is your first point of entry you should apply for a visa at the Embassy of The Netherlands.

4. if you do not need a visa for the Netherlands as a particular Schengen country of your main destination or first point of entry, please note that you may require a visa for other Schengen countries you wish to visit. You should then apply at the Embassy or the Consulate General of the first Schengen country you require a visa for.

I will visit the site you mentioned tomorrow. Wonder what they are saying, coz there is always a Schengen officer present during the check in for a flight to a Schengen country. Take a look next time when you leave from BKK, you can't miss him :o

" I'm in Spain now and we were able to get my Thai girlfriend a Shenzen visa to come over and visit. She picks it up in a few days and she is permitted to travel to Madrid and the other Shenzen nations. I'm curious about some logistics if anybody can help.

What I'd like to do is leave now (bored of Paella...) and go to Holland and have her catch a flight from Madrid to Holland when she arrives and meet me over there. Is that possible? Would she then be allowed to go with me to France and back to Spain later? "

The above was the OP's question.

The point is that anyone, applying for a 'Schengen-country' Visa has to apply one for the (first and most important) main destination, whether for Spain or Holland (or any other Schengen country).

BUT, if for one reason or another the traveler WITH a Schengen Visa, lands for instance FIRST in Germany, there is NO problem.

The traveler can even decide, after landing by plane, to travel further by train or car to any other Schengen country.

He/she could even be forced to do so because of extreme weather conditions like closed airports, strikes or any other circumstances.

Customs/Border Police etc. would NOT stop the traveler with a Schengen Visa.

The OP can travel with his Thai girlfriend to any Schengen country. The GF can also leave from any Schengen country, back to LOS.

So, the answer to the OP's -LAST- question is: YES, no problem as long as she (he) shows there is a return ticket.

LaoPo

" I'm in Spain now and we were able to get my Thai girlfriend a Shenzen visa to come over and visit. She picks it up in a few days and she is permitted to travel to Madrid and the other Shenzen nations. I'm curious about some logistics if anybody can help.

What I'd like to do is leave now (bored of Paella...) and go to Holland and have her catch a flight from Madrid to Holland when she arrives and meet me over there. Is that possible? Would she then be allowed to go with me to France and back to Spain later? "

The point is that anyone, applying for a 'Schengen-country' Visa has to apply one for the (first and most important) main destination, whether for Spain or Holland (or any other Schengen country).

BUT, if for one reason or another the traveler WITH a Schengen Visa, lands for instance FIRST in Germany, there is NO problem.

The traveler can even decide, after landing by plane, to travel further by train or car to any other Schengen country.

He/she could even be forced to do so because of extreme weather conditions like closed airports, strikes or any other circumstances.

The OP can travel with his Thai girlfriend to any Schengen country. The GF can also leave from any Schengen country, back to LOS.

So, the answer to the OP's -LAST- question is: YES, no problem as long as she (he) shows there is a return ticket.

LaoPo

The point is not that anyone, applying for a 'Schengen-country' Visa has to apply one for the (first and most important) for the main destination, as you will be told at every embassy, but the first point of entry. In case you have a main destination than this is also automatically your first point of entry. You can, however, also apply for a Schengen visa without a main destination, as you can read in my previous reply.

When OP's GF applied for a Schengen visa at the Spanish Embassy then her first point of entry MUST be Spain. Immediately after arrival she can go anywhere she like and has no further restrictions.

In case she buy a ticket to Holland, for example, then the airline company will not give her a boarding pass with a Schengen visa issued by the Spanish Embassy since her first point of entry MUST be Spain. So no reason for Immigration or police in the Schengen area to stop her since she will not be allowed to board the plane :o

When you think this is not the case please call a Schengen embassy and/or read what IATA writes. The rules which apply for airline companies are laid down in IATA. You will see that the airline company will have to fly her back home in case her first point of entry is not the same as stated on her Schengen visa.

If you think you can just try :D, I give up.

Edited by Henri

LaoPo

The point is not that anyone, applying for a 'Schengen-country' Visa has to apply one for the (first and most important) for the main destination, as you will be told at every embassy, but the first point of entry. In case you have a main destination than this is also automatically your first point of entry. You can, however, also apply for a Schengen visa without a main destination, as you can read in my previous reply.

When OP's GF applied for a Schengen visa at the Spanish Embassy then her first point of entry MUST be Spain. Immediately after arrival she can go anywhere she like and has no further restrictions.

In case she buy a ticket to Holland, for example, then the airline company will not give her a boarding pass with a Schengen visa issued by the Spanish Embassy since her first point of entry MUST be Spain. So no reason for Immigration or police in the Schengen area to stop her since she will not be allowed to board the plane :o

When you think this is not the case please call a Schengen embassy and/or read what IATA writes. The rules which apply for airline companies are laid down in IATA. You will see that the airline company will have to fly her back home in case her first point of entry is not the same as stated on her Schengen visa.

If you think you can just try :D, I give up.

In the OP's case, his Thai girlfriend, who likely received a Spanish Embassies' SCHENGEN-Visa will probably (read: MUST) have a return ticket: Thailand - Schengen countries-Thailand and in this case also a trip to Spain.

In the Official "THE SCHENGEN ACQUIS"* I can't find anything that forbid a traveler to enter ANY Schengen country, other than the country of the issueing Embassy; but maybe you (Henri) could point me to such an article ?

* http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/site/e...2en00010473.pdf

Read page 22, article 12, if you wish.

Also, it would not be logical; a Schengen Visa is valid for ALL Schengen countries, no matter which country issued the Visa.

A traveler with a Schengen-Visa RETURN-ticket can, IMHO, not be refused by any airline.

PS: on several occasions I received guests with a German Embassy issued Visa but they landed and visited Holland first and traveled onwards to Germany, Switzerland, Italy and France. They left from Paris back home....

How do you explain that Henri ? :D

LaoPo

" In the OP's case, his Thai girlfriend, who likely received a Spanish Embassies' SCHENGEN-Visa will probably (read: MUST) have a return ticket: Thailand - Schengen countries-Thailand and in this case also a trip to Spain.

In the Official "THE SCHENGEN ACQUIS"* I can't find anything that forbid a traveler to enter ANY Schengen country, other than the country of the issueing Embassy; but maybe you (Henri) could point me to such an article ?

* http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/site/e...2en00010473.pdf

Read page 22, article 12, if you wish.

Also, it would not be logical; a Schengen Visa is valid for ALL Schengen countries, no matter which country issued the Visa.

A traveler with a Schengen-Visa RETURN-ticket can, IMHO, not be refused by any airline.

PS: on several occasions I received guests with a German Embassy issued Visa but they landed and visited Holland first and traveled onwards to Germany, Switzerland, Italy and France. They left from Paris back home....

How do you explain that Henri ? :o

LaoPo

In the OP's case, his Thai girlfriend, who likely received a Spanish Embassies' SCHENGEN-Visa will probably (read: MUST) have a return ticket: Thailand - Spain - Thailand, which she changes after arriving in the Schengen area. With that she will save money as she don't have to buy two tickets.

Read also:

Page 324 and further - Determining the State responsible and documents to be enclosed.

Page 334 and further - Information sent to the Central Authority.

And of course the Schengen visa application form which have been changed some time ago and will be changed again.

As you will read, there is certainly now, a thorough check, on passengers from third world countries like Thailand, since too many don't come with the idea to go back home at all or stay ("work") long term till they are catched and deported. For this reason airlines also stopped to refund for the part not flown.

Don't understand me wrong, I am not generalizing people, it is just a fact and explains why applying for a visa becomes more difficult year by year. You will find many reports about this when you Google the internet. For Germany this is also a very big issue and I guess you will know (I assume that you are a German when I read your reply, if not don't beat me :D ).

However, at this moment SIS II (Schengen Information System II) is activated which contains more information then mentioned in above document dated 22-09-2000.

But the point is that we are ONLY talking about the first point of entry, NOT what the visa holder is doing hereafter.

This means that after the correct entry according to the State responsible for issuing the visa, the person can go where he/she likes and return back home from any country he/she likes, as there are no restrictions after entering unless stated on the Schengen visa sticker.

Airlines do refuse travellers in case the Schengen visa does not match with the flight. This happens every day, however, I am not in a position to give details about this.

With this I end my replies, but can reply with PM if you wish as it is going to become off-topic IMHO. I only tried to explain how the reality is working. No hard feelings, ok.

Wish you the best, Henri.

Let me see if I understand this. If I decide to drive from England to Spain via France, to spend time at a friend's villa in Spain, I may think that the main destination is Spain, but my wife travelling on a Thai passport must get her Schengen visa from a French consulate. Is that correct? Or do different rules apply for travel by air?

It actually appears to contradict what the French consulate in London says for the first entry basis: 'You are transiting through the Schengen States and France is the first country you are transiting through.' Perhaps I do not understand what they mean by 'transit', or perhaps they mean 'through Schengen States' and not 'through the Schengen States'.

There's another twist - the French consulate in Edinburgh says, 'If you are married to a Schengen national (i.e. Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain and Sweden), you MUST apply for your visa at your spouse’s Embassy regardless of your travel destination.' If this applies to the whole of the UK (I can't find it on the London site), the Thai wife of a Swede living in Dover would need a visa from the Swedish consulate for a day trip to Calais!

I get the impression that it doesn't matter too much.

My wife and I recently visited Norway and obtained a Schengen visa from the Norwegian embassy in London. However, because of the route we took, we actually entered the Schengen area in the Netherlands and the Dutch Marechaussee stamped my wife in without demur.

Scouse.

Let me see if I understand this. If I decide to drive from England to Spain via France, to spend time at a friend's villa in Spain, I may think that the main destination is Spain, but my wife travelling on a Thai passport must get her Schengen visa from a French consulate. Is that correct? Or do different rules apply for travel by air?

The guide rules about where to apply are:-

If you intend to visit only one Schengen country, you must apply at the Embassy or Consulate of that particular country.

If you intend to visit several Schengen countries, you must apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the country which is your main destination.

If you intend to visit several Schengen countries but do not have a main destination, you should apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the country which is your first point of entry.

There's another twist - the French consulate in Edinburgh says, 'If you are married to a Schengen national, you MUST apply for your visa at your spouse’s Embassy regardless of your travel destination.' If this applies to the whole of the UK (I can't find it on the London site), the Thai wife of a Swede living in Dover would need a visa from the Swedish consulate for a day trip to Calais!

A Thai wife of a Swede would need a Schengen visa to visit France and the rules also state she should apply in her country of residence.So if she was resident in UK she could apply at the embassy/consulate in UK of the country she will visit as suggested in the guide above. If she was only on a visit visa to UK she should apply in Sweden.

There's another twist - the French consulate in Edinburgh says, 'If you are married to a Schengen national, you MUST apply for your visa at your spouse’s Embassy regardless of your travel destination.' If this applies to the whole of the UK (I can't find it on the London site), the Thai wife of a Swede living in Dover would need a visa from the Swedish consulate for a day trip to Calais!

A Thai wife of a Swede would need a Schengen visa to visit France and the rules also state she should apply in her country of residence.So if she was resident in UK she could apply at the embassy/consulate in UK of the country she will visit as suggested in the guide above. If she was only on a visit visa to UK she should apply in Sweden.

OK, so the French consulate in Edinburgh is wrong about the French interpretation of the rules.

Surely a Thai who is resident in Sweden normally wouldn't need a tourist visa to visit France.

ChelseaBill is completely right. The first country of entry for the recipient of a Schengen visa must be that of the issuing country. No discussion possible about this.

Oh balls, Henri!! The (Thai) wife had a Schengen visa issued by the Austrian Embassy, but merrily entered both Belgium and Germany separately for short trips without going to/through Austria recently. No questions, no interrogation, no fuss - either entering or leaving. As long as it's multiple entry, no issues.

ChelseaBill is completely right. The first country of entry for the recipient of a Schengen visa must be that of the issuing country. No discussion possible about this.

Oh balls, Henri!! The (Thai) wife had a Schengen visa issued by the Austrian Embassy, but merrily entered both Belgium and Germany separately for short trips without going to/through Austria recently. No questions, no interrogation, no fuss - either entering or leaving. As long as it's multiple entry, no issues.

I'm afraid we're not able to convince Henri, I told him the same, earlier.

LaoPo

In case she buy a ticket to Holland, for example, then the airline company will not give her a boarding pass with a Schengen visa issued by the Spanish Embassy since her first point of entry MUST be Spain. So no reason for Immigration or police in the Schengen area to stop her since she will not be allowed to board the plane

Henri's point is that the OP's girlfriend would not be allowed to board - it's not a Schengen decision, but an airline decision. (Remember all the worry about airlines over-zealously enforcing the time restrictions on visa-waiver entry to Thailand?) Now, if she could show that she was travelling on to Spain, or had previously travelled to Spain on the same multi-entry visa, I would hope that she would be allowed to board. But can anyone give precedent for her being allowed to board if she cannot show that she is not 'abusing' the visa system?

I do not know that the examples of Mrs Paully's and Mrs Scouser's travels are counter-examples to Henri's claim restricted as I suggest.

Interestingly, it seems that in law the Thai wife of the Swede living in Dover does not need a visa to go to Calais. Under EU Directive 2004/38/EC she can use the residence card issued by the UK instead. However, implementation of the directive seems patchy - I found this interesting discussion on implementation or otherwise, with actual experiences. For members of UK citizens' families resident in the UK, the Swiss accept a large selection of stamps in passports as UK residence cards.

I'm afraid we're not able to convince Henri, I told him the same, earlier.

And he's accused you of being German :o

Scouse.

He was 'assuming', not accusing. :D

Nevertheless he was wrong by assuming, because I'm NOT German...

LaoPo