Winter Draws On In Bangkok

taxexile

It's going to be cold in Bangkok

Bangkok is likely to suffer a bone-chilling winter this year, according to the weather bureau.

Published on October 18, 2007

Suparerk Tansriratana-wong, director-general of the Meteorological Department, said yesterday he expects winter to be cooler than last year, particularly from December to January, when the mercury was likely to dip to 16 degrees Celsius.

Just how cold it gets depends on how deep and how long the high-pressure systems from China cover Thailand, he said.

Winter had already come to many part of the country, he said, adding that the average temperature this year would be 1-2 degrees lower than usual, and cold snaps would last longer - at least one week.

Anon Sanitwong na Ayut-thaya, director of the Southeast Asia START Regional Centre at Chulalongkorn University, also warned that temperatures would drop below what was seen many years ago after winter sets in next month.

"This is because the strongest La Nina index in 30 years will cause lower temper?atures and a longer winter," he said.

"This is a good opportunity for business to publicise the country's tourism in winter, especially in the North and Northeast," he said.

However, the government also had to be ready to assist those who lack enough clothing, he added.

The Nation

I have never understood what "High Season" is about. All I see is ice cold water (16-17C, same as in Oslo bay in summer), on some days last year in December it was not warm enough for short sleeves.

For a week all the boats from Pattaya bay were moored for shelter in Jomtien, end of of 2005.

This year, for Thai "high season" we may well go for holiday to Langkawi.

Edited by think_too_mut

Give it a week or two and we will read about another 5 million blankets being sent to

nothern Thailand ... Happens every year.

Every man and his dog up there must have about three hundred each by now :o

Naka.

Plus the annual carbon-monoxide poisonings from ad-hoc "heating devices". :D

Today my partner assured me that the motorcycle and car have antifreeze. He's out buying parkas and earmuffs.

Last year it was so cold in Chiang Mai that the haze almost froze.

When i woke up this morning, had the first frost of the autumn/winter in UK, and the temperature was about 6 degrees, god it felt cold!

Thankfully i escape to back to Chiang Mai at the beginning of December, where i'm hoping it will be a tad warmer than England!! :o

'Winter' in BKK is great. I wish it would last a bit longer than 4 weeks though.

As for it getting really cold in BKK, I clearly remember a Christmas day in the mid 1980's where the mercury plumeted to about 12 degrees. Was bloody freezing!!!

record lows and highs recorded in thailand. from temperature records

THAILAND

Bangkok 9.9 40.8

Pattaya 14.6 37.3

Phuket Town 16.9 37.8

Krabi 17.9 39.1

Koh Chiang 15 36.9

Koh Lanta 19.1 38.5

Koh Samui 18.6 36.5

Surat Thani 12.4 39.7

Narathiwat 17.1 39

Chiang Mai 3.7 41.8

Chiag Rai 1.5 41.3

Udon Thani 2.5 43.9

Ubon Ratchathani 7.6 42.4

Sakon Nakhon -1.4 42.3

Uttaradit 4.5 44.5

Doi Inthanon -8

Mt.Luang Chiang Dao -9* * unofficial

'Winter' in BKK is great. I wish it would last a bit longer than 4 weeks though.

As for it getting really cold in BKK, I clearly remember a Christmas day in the mid 1980's where the mercury plumeted to about 12 degrees. Was bloody freezing!!!

All these things are relative.

1998 was a chilly one too.

We had to shut the windows to retain the heat in the house and put an

extra blanket on the bed. All of which was rather alien to my Thai wife.

Up in Chiang Rai, they do get frost on the ground most winters.

Snow is unlikely as the cold season coincides with the dry time of year.

When cold weather is the norm in winter you plan accordingly.

Here in Lebanon, where I am at the moment, the A/C units are "reversible".

They can be switched to put out hot air in the room, not cold.

We have carpets to put down on the floors..........

Duvets and blankets for the beds.

Even so the temperature does not generally drop below 5-6C at night.

That is at sea level. Up in the mountains there will be snow, starting with the

first rains in late November, December.

The g/f's mum says it's very cold in Sisaket at night now ... about 16 deg. C.

So much for Al Gore :o

Could this be considered a negative slur on Gore's global warming? :D

Some global warming inquisitionists have avocated making it a crime to deny such a proven fact (in their mind) :D

Didn't a British court rule last week that nine statements in Al Gore's movie not to be fact. :D

Unless she is living up in the mountains (somewhere) I doubt if the temperature has dropped to 16 deg C. just yet. The Thai met office is showing a minimum nightly temperature of 22 deg C. Much the same as Surin province which is next door to Sisaket.

Some global warming inquisitionists have avocated making it a crime to deny such a proven fact (in their mind) :o

They sure do. But did anyone else in the UK notice as I did during this last wretched non-existent summer, that whilst we were all shivering and watching the floods on the telly, these same "inquisitionists" moved the goalposts and started banging on about "climate change" instead?

Unless she is living up in the mountains (somewhere) I doubt if the temperature has dropped to 16 deg C. just yet. The Thai met office is showing a minimum nightly temperature of 22 deg C. Much the same as Surin province which is next door to Sisaket.

Oooh! The little liar! You know how these girls exaggerate! :D She actually comes from a place called Khun Han which is about 60 km south of Sisaket and quite close to the border with Cambodia. I don't know if it's any cooler there :D