5 European Arrested On Drug Charges

I take it this was on Samui - but was the amount of cash really 5 billion baht? :D

As the saying goes, play with fire and you will get burned...

Just another example of greedy farang making it more difficult for everyone else.

I hope they will enjoy being some big sweaty thugs' bitch! :o

:D

5 billion baht = 146,198,830 U.S. dollars.... :o hmmm....

Can we get a check on verifying that it was over US$146 million?

even the real amount is smaller.........I wonder who will "take care" of the money from now on :D

have we a channel 3 link?

even the real amount is smaller.........I wonder who will "take care" of the money from now on :D

have we a channel 3 link?

MCOT and Ch 3 are the same news online, and their server appears to be down

etna.mcot.net/

***edit*** server is back up but no news in English regarding the arrests

I take it you meant "even if"....

and if so, perhaps it was uhmm... moved further south?

Just in:

30 million in seized drug money in a house raid in Narathiwat last week reportedly went missing

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=122747

Edited by sriracha john

"ha pan laan" was said.... so that is to me five Billion...

It appears that they have been arrested on request of the Belgium Police and there seems to be a fine thread going back to events that caught another variety of people involved in "activities", regarding real estate, land documents and the like, here on samui some time last year...wheels on fire...

Just in:

30 million in seized drug money in a house raid in Narathiwat last week reportedly went missing

<a href="http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=122747" target="_blank">http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=122747</a>

See, thats quite funny, just in Thai TV live it says 90 Million! However quite a large amount of money hidden in sealed off waterpipes..

From the Reuters article:

The five were sought by Belgium after 125 kg (275 lb) of heroin, 200 kg (440 lb) of cocaine and 350 tonnes of marijuana were seized in Belgium in November last year, Thai police said.

The value of the drugs in Belgium was estimated at 5 billion baht ($150 million), they said in a statement.

They lived on that luxury house on top of a hill, which is close by the end of the airport. Just of the lake road .Fantastic place!

So Ronald Koornwinder's wife gets to keep that for her self then! Luck Lady!

Edited by Noodles

They lived on that luxury house on top of a hill, which is close by the end of the airport. Just of the lake road .Fantastic place!

So Ronald Koornwinder's wife gets to keep that for her self then! Luck Lady!

If it isn't linked to drug money, she just might be a very luck lady, have to talk to her. :o:D

Does anyone realize what a huge pallet of money 5 billion baht (in thousand baht denominations) would represent? :D :D

Did they confiscate a fork-lift as well? :D

From the Reuters article:
The five were sought by Belgium after 125 kg (275 lb) of heroin, 200 kg (440 lb) of cocaine and 350 tonnes of marijuana were seized in Belgium in November last year, Thai police said.

The value of the drugs in Belgium was estimated at 5 billion baht ($150 million), they said in a statement.

As I had expected......5 Million baht and not in cash

Belgian drug gang nabbed at Samui

Four members of Belgium's "most wanted" drug- trafficking gang were arrested on Thailand's resort island of Samui, said Thai police Thursday.

The street value of the seized drugs was 5 million baht ($150,000), he added.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=122758

Just in:

<a href="http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=122747" target="_blank">http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=122747</a>

See, thats quite funny, just in Thai TV live it says 90 Million! However quite a large amount of money hidden in sealed off waterpipes..

I think we're mixing 2 different 'drugs' related news items here:

1. The arrested 5 Belgian/Dutch nationals, and

2. The 30 or 90 Million Baht confiscated money which is linked to a "drug trafficking ring in the North and insurgent operations in the deep South." (see the link above).

LaoPo

"125 kilograms of heroin, 200 kilograms of cocaine and 350 tons of marijuana, a Thai police spokesman said.

The street value of the seized drugs was 5 million baht ($150,000), he added"

I think they must have this figure wrong

That's for sure, since that's alot of dope!

"125 kilograms of heroin, 200 kilograms of cocaine and 350 tons of marijuana, a Thai police spokesman said.

350 tons of smoke ,they will be there a long time moving and weighing that then .

350 tons of smoke ,they will be there a long time moving and weighing that then .

:o:D :D Not to mention "other things"!

Edited by SamuiJens

According to Reuters article, that was done almost a year ago:

were seized in Belgium in November last year

and indeed, would be worth more than 5 million baht and that's where the 5 billion baht figure comes from.

Nothing has been mentioned in any article about the confiscation of drugs or money in their arrest today on Samui.

The latest article from DPA news reports:

"The Belgian authorities alerted us so we were able to seize the suspects before they got nervous and fled again. They will be extradited to Belgium as quickly as possible," Lieutenant General Vuth Liptapallop said.

Here's a photo of the Belgian/Dutch "high society" Samui residents:

r4057827694.jpg

Thai police hold a news conference on the southern Thai island of Samui on October 18, 2007 attended by two Belgian and two Dutch fugitives alleged to be part of a major drug trafficking ring in Belgium. The suspects (L-R) were identified by the Thai police as Belgians Kelly Cautereels, 25, Koen Vanstaay, 29, Dutchmen Paulus Meyer, 44, and Ronald Koornwinder, 55. Three Belgian and two Dutch fugitives alleged to be part of a major drug trafficking ring in Belgium were arrested on the southern Thai island of Samui on Thursday after tip-offs from Belgian officials, Thai police said.

REUTERS

*EDIT* Respectfully request a Moderator to modify the thread title to reflect that it was not 4 Belgian Nationals arrested. Thank you. A possible suggested thread title might be the Associated Press article's headline reporting on the incident:

Thai police arrest four Europeans sought by Belgium as major drug traffickers

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/headlines/2007...Thai-police.htm

Edited by sriracha john

sriracha john shouldn’t modified thread title read "5 Europeans arrested"? Both reuters articles mention 5 people.

From the previous link. http://in.reuters.com/article/worldNews/id...-30048720071018

It identified the two Dutchmen as Ronald Koornwinder, 55, and Paulus Meyer, 44 and the three Belgians as Koen Vanstaay, 29, Kelly Cautereels, 25 and Pedro Jose Noves Gracia, 40.

<Snip>

Noves Gracia was caught at a Samui hospital where he had been treated for a month after a motorcycle accident, Suntichai said.

The other four, whose identities were confirmed by a team of nine Belgian police officers led by their national police chief, were arrested at the house in a dawn raid, he said.

a big "thank you" to the police from europe and thailand as well, perfect work!! :D

people like this one :o .....we d'ont need in samui or anywhere in thailand!!

but i hope, they can stay in LOS for the next 25 years without any visa :D

the thai-government has now enough money to give them food&drinks everyday in the monkeyhouse......

Unforgettable Thailand

please remember "Keep Samui Clean"