Diary Of A Road Trip To Loei...

Somtham

'Somtham'asaked about KKU:

"The campus is huge at 5,500+ rai. Wonder how many students they have and how good the education is."

30,000 undergraduate students, 3000 postgraduate students, and 3000 Faculty members.

Some of the Faculty members are very bright, especially amongst the women, but some are otherwise. Likewise with the students.

In the eighteen months that I have been going there, I am well impressed. And there are two more universities in the town (Northeastern and Northeastern Technological).

Farming in Thailand may change a lot when so many of these youngsters get involved, which I expect will happen as I can't envisage them all being absorbed by the salaried-job market.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There you have it. Somtham & his wife have already visited KK uni & found there to be NO female veterinary professors married to a farang on the staff! Time to put the enigmatic Maize Farmer to bed once & for all. Surely this will prove to all the doubters that he never existed & was the product of someone with too much time on his hands imagination!

who cares who or where Maizefarmer is ?

1. he/she put in a lot of good, useful info here

2. he/she might be a genuine farmer married to a Thai professor or is the professor himself or a TV staff to get this forum going

3. he/she disappeared or at least doesn't want to post anymore

everyone should ask himself how they benefited from MZ's input here and let the synonym MZ R.I.P.

in time MZ will be back maybe as Chickenfarmer or others.

thanks to whoever MZ is, we all got good info and should thank MZ for that, whoever he/she is.

:D:bah::o:D:bah::o:D:D

I agree fully. Also i believe he is a real person and I just hope he is alright. I am worried that something happened to him because his last post suggested more were coming and that was way back in July. maizefarmer I hope you are okay and please post again, i have lots of questions for you. Issangeorge

At the risk of repeating myself someone with the time needs to go to Sam Muang, I haven't got enough time till March.

I hope you have better luck finding Sam Muang than I am. The road 2216 runs from high way 12 to highway 203 and I cannot find where it goes from there if anywhere. It does intersect with 2016. In fact I can't find any village within 18 kilometers of Pukradueng in that direction. I looked at my road atlas and also my GPS maps. It has to be a tiny place on a tiny mud road.

Gary, Sam Muang as far as I can see is on 2216 just north of Wang Kwang, it is actually in Phetchabun Province. You can find it on the CD that is provided by Think Net Map Magic. It is about 11 kms. from Loei Province and 14.65 kms. from the base of Phu Keadueng. i do not see any roads marked that go from it into Loei, however there are other small villages marked so there must be roads. Issangeorge

Gary,

Good luck & God bless the people on the search for Tim! I commend all on this post who see life as the glass half full instead of half empty!

Hope Tim is alright & wish you luck on the search. This is one of the more enjoyable posts this year & really shows peoples true character.

In behalf of myself & I am sure I speak for the others that wish the outcome to be for the best. Thank you for caring!

Barry

Strange indeed that there is some confirmation his wife does not do what he said she does. Or perhaps the person asked did not know everyone and thus is him/herself mistaken ?

I am baffled about the helicopter and subsequent treatment. The finding of a someone who remembers a westerner being airlifted must mean that there are records about where he was taken and from there it should be easy to find where he was airlifted from. If those records cannot be found then that story has to be discounted and you are staring at a dead end.

Doesn't anyone know someone in immigration. His name is on this thread. Embassy source ? What about newspapers reporting an airlift. I think it would have been reported here in Pattaya if in the locality.

Shipping agents, airlines to india etc. If none of these pan out then how he can really exist i do not know.

At the risk of repeating myself someone with the time needs to go to Sam Muang, I haven't got enough time till March.

I hope you have better luck finding Sam Muang than I am. The road 2216 runs from high way 12 to highway 203 and I cannot find where it goes from there if anywhere. It does intersect with 2016. In fact I can't find any village within 18 kilometers of Pukradueng in that direction. I looked at my road atlas and also my GPS maps. It has to be a tiny place on a tiny mud road.

Garry,

Do you want to give this a bash on Wed/Thu.... I can meet you in Loie and I have a slouthy type ex military guy who loves this sort of shit. Anyway , I need some GPS tips...what do you say?

Khun andy

My handle is that Randomchances and maizefarmer were the same dude. They both had good advice and they both were very elusive, good luck to whoever they actually were

Google "randomchances", follow some of those links and check out RamdomChances (yes that is his nick on ThaiVisa) posts here and I think you will be convinced that he is not the same person as Maizefarmer.

Mods, I thought Maizefarmer and RamdomChances were mods for the farming forum. Am I correct about that or did I just imagine that?

Gary, Sam Muang as far as I can see is on 2216 just north of Wang Kwang, it is actually in Phetchabun Province. You can find it on the CD that is provided by Think Net Map Magic. It is about 11 kms. from Loei Province and 14.65 kms. from the base of Phu Keadueng. i do not see any roads marked that go from it into Loei, however there are other small villages marked so there must be roads. Issangeorge

I did manage to find the coordinates for Sam Muang on the Internet. I was disappointed that it doesn't show up on my GPS or even show a road to it. According to the coordinates it is about 1.5 kilometers SW off route 2216.

Garry,

Do you want to give this a bash on Wed/Thu.... I can meet you in Loie and I have a slouthy type ex military guy who loves this sort of shit. Anyway , I need some GPS tips...what do you say?

Khun andy

Andy, do you have a GPS? If so I can give you my coordinates and you can see whether it brings you to my house. In the meantime, I'll PM you with some details.

Well I will be in Khon Kaen tomorrow (Monday) morning, so if I have a chance I will visit the university and try to find Tim's wife or at least someone who knows her.

JB.

JB - you may want to save the trip. My wife and I visited the School of Veterinary Medicine and the School of Animal Husbandry at KKU and there are no profesors there with farang husbands.

The campus is huge at 5,500+ rai. Wonder how many students they have and how good the education is.

Have a safe trip.

rgds

Hi Somtham,

Thanks for the warning - I hadn't realised that you had also checked out the university. Anyhow, I decided to visit the campus yesterday morning (while out training on my bike) and rather than go into the main offices (as I wasn't dressed for the occasion) I visited the area where the deer and ostriches are kept. I found a worker and after mentioning "dairy farm" and "ajarn" he pointed me in the direction of the nearby dairy cow unit. There I met the ajarn responsible for the diary cow unit. I figured he would be likely to know of a fellow ajarn working with livestock and owning a large dairy farm in Loei province and married to a farang, but he didn't! He then went into his office to ask some other people (I was waiting outside) and he came out and told me that nobody knew of such an ajarn. Of course it is just possible that Tim's wife was in the office and told the ajarn to tell me that he didn't know anything about the person I was looking for, but I kind of doubt that. It is also possible that the university is so large and has so many ajarns in different departments/sections that they don't all know each other or more likely don't know about each other's private lives (such as who they are married to, where they have homes, what businesses their husbands do, etc).

Despite my failure to find Tim's wife, I still believe his story is mostly true (perhaps he did change some facts in order to protect his privacy), so I hope somebody can find out soon how he is doing.

JB

I did manage to find the coordinates for Sam Muang on the Internet. I was disappointed that it doesn't show up on my GPS or even show a road to it. According to the coordinates it is about 1.5 kilometers SW off route 2216.

Wat Sam Muang is just East of 2216 at 101d 33m 12.2s and 16d 55m 1.6s on my current MapMagic at 1:5000 scale.

Although I am a freshman here on this forum I think everybody can be traced simple by follow his or her trail on the internet.

This forum is maybe in the possession of the ISP of MF. This is traceable to a provider and the police can easy ask for the address data of the ISP provider.

Also is it maybe good to contact the embassy of MF. If he is a long stay expat there must be some info about passport/driving licence/marriage licence.

At the immigration office they must have also VISA and 90 day stay data of MF.

But I think best start would be to process first all the data that the forum know.

Names, dates, cars, hospitals, motorbikes, house, machinery, live stock, cities, places and people. With a clear list you can make clear questions and those will bring you to MF.

Regards :o

Although I am a freshman here on this forum I think everybody can be traced simple by follow his or her trail on the internet.

This forum is maybe in the possession of the ISP of MF. This is traceable to a provider and the police can easy ask for the address data of the ISP provider.

Also is it maybe good to contact the embassy of MF. If he is a long stay expat there must be some info about passport/driving licence/marriage licence.

But I think best start would be to process first all the data that the forum know.

Names, dates, cars, hospitals, motorbikes, house, machinery, live stock, cities, places and people. With a clear list you can make clear questions and those will bring you to MF.

I remember one of the mods mentioning his ISP provider as being in the Petchabun\Loei area at the time he was in a bit of hot water regarding some sensitive comments he made. This must have been a year or more ago, well before his accident.

Mods, could you do something about this fruitcake who keeps posting manure. The farming forum usually has constructive and helpful contributions, don't let it deteriorate into a childish slanging match.

Edited by bannork

The police? The embassy? The Immigration Department? What crime did MaizeFarmer commit aside from depriving a small audience of his highly informative and entertaining posts?

This farce is starting to go a little too far, I think. People do have a right to privacy. Has it occurred to anyone that he could have a minor administrative problem on the books somewhere and bringing it to light could ultimately do him a great deal of harm?

If people are genuinely concerned (or at the very least bored) then by all means continue this easter egg hunt; do the leg-work, get out in the countryside and meet some folks. But bringing the authorities into it is crossing a line.

I fully agree that MF have the right to stop posting. In that case would be 1 message enough to stop the hunt and can we all live in peace wit it.

But…. I hope not…. If there did happen something bad, this is Thailand and it wouldn’t the first time that someone disappears here, then I think MF, or his family, need all the help we can give.

You don’t have to do crimes for contacting the police, embassy or immigration… you can also been concerned about somebody.

But as I said… I am just a freshman here… not a senior member :o

Regards :D

I find the speculation that MF may not have been what he seemed interesting in light of something that happened years ago on alt.soc.thailand (I think that was the venue). There was a poster there that claimed to have been run over on Rama something road and paralyzed and his posts were always bitter rants about Thailand, etc. He disappeared at some point and he later turned out to be a fraud--if my memory serves me correctly. Someone else may recall that incident better than I do.

Of course MF had a completely different take on things, but it is very intriguing that some of the clues he left do not check out at all. Farangs stick out like sore thumbs here, particularly in the countryside, and it does indeed seem strange that nobody has heard of him in any of the areas near where he lived. But if it turns out he was a mirage, to what purpose I wonder?

Off-topic, inflammatory and abusive posts have been removed.

Since we can't seem to keep this civil it will be closed.

Please contact a moderator or admin if you have current relevant information to be added to this thread.

///CLOSED///