Subway Portions Much Smaller

FarangNoi21

went to subway today and sandwichs are half the size they used to be.

(and please have some self respect for yourself and dont make a 6inch/12inch joke)

Saw an ad on the skytrain as the price of 59 or was it 69 Baht(not sure) for a sandwich, which I guess is the promotion price thus smaller the portion? :o

• 2 weeks later...

They have a daily special for 69 Baht, makes a welcome change from Thai food every now and again if you crave a farrang food fix. The Silom branch at least still serves a normal sized, 6-inch sub with generous fillings. can't see any reason why the other Bangkok branches would be any different.

Don't much care for Subway in Thailand. Very poor. Tastes artificial.

For a ready made sandwich fix I pick up filled rolls from the Foodland deli counter. 35THB each and delicious.

They always have a selection of meats and fillings available. Yesterday I had a roast beef and mustard.

Which Foodland?

Cheers

I always thought that maybe the crappy taste of subway was just the way it was in america.

There are plenty of other places where you can get a much tastier snadwhich than Subway.

It has also taken me some time, but I have finally found 3 bread shops that I frequent and pick up truely beautiful bread...even tastier than back home, or maybe just hunger for it more now.

Anyway, these bvreads of various sorts, french loaf, baguettes, whole grains, 5 grains, farmer breads and thick sliced as you want....try these with roast beef and lamb and then you will know why subway tastes processed and very plain.

more than I could eat, on an empty stomach
But the price came to 191 baht

like the sandwich , thats more than i could stomach.

:o

I guess not all Subway sandwiches are created equal in Thailand. Agreed, the price was way too high, but there were lots of ingredients. If there was a teensy 69 baht special, I missed it.

If there was a teensy 69 baht special, I missed it.

Without meaning to sound pedantic, the 69 Baht special is just a normal 6-inch sub, with a different filling on special each day. It's not an extra small sub although, admittedly, the fillings they include on the special list are at the cheaper end of the scaler, so no Teriyaki for 69 Baht unfortunately!

Without meaning to sound pedantic, the 69 Baht special is just a normal 6-inch sub, with a different filling on special each day. It's not an extra small sub although, admittedly, the fillings they include on the special list are at the cheaper end of the scaler, so no Teriyaki for 69 Baht unfortunately!

had a 12inch meatball sub here in samui yesterday ,same size as it always is .

I've had a couple from the shop near Soi 33/1. Every single one of them was light on the fillings - the meatball one being particularly poor, there was almost more sauce than meat. The last time was well over a year ago though, I even have a full card for a free sub which I haven't bothered to redeem.

That's incorrect, the daily specials range from B59 (Vegi) up to B99 (Beef), there is another B69 'Snack Special' which is smaller than a 6 inch sub.

I only know this because a friend brought me one over the other night and left the menu here, i did not finish the sandwich, the dog did.

191 baht including the big cookie
That's incorrect, the daily specials range from B59 (Vegi) up to B99 (Beef), there is another B69 'Snack Special' which is smaller than a 6 inch sub.
got the Teriyaki 6 inch set
had a 12inch meatball sub here in samui yesterday ,same size as it always is .
I even have a full card for a free sub
Without meaning to sound pedantic, the 69 Baht special is just a normal 6-inch sub, with a different filling on special each day.

some fascinating subway minutiae being revealed here by all the closet 6'' and 12'' lovers.

buying american fast food seems to get more complicated by the day as the hungry customer struggles to figure out which of the many deals is the best , and thats before you have answered all the questions ( white bread brown bread bagel roll , hi fat low fat no fat at all , sugar sweetener syrup , full cream half cream condensed , roasted toasted warmed up cold , mayo onion cheese tomato potato pickle shmickle chilli sauce barbcue sauce downsize upsize eat here takeaway)

its the choices , and the uniformly bored robotic teenage staff that put the choices to you ......( as if they could give a flying fukc what you choose to have and whether you enjoy it or not ) that make the whole experience of american fast food so exasperatingly terrible , and thats before youve even tasted the stuff.

western fast food should only be eaten as last chance emergency rations such as when you have let your sugar and salt levels fall to a level so low that death would be imminent unless immediate replenishment were not undertaken.

then and only then.

apart from macdonalds french fries , which are lovely and can be enjoyed at any time of the day or night , only 29b and if you have them with a large coke you get a little plastic ronald in one of four colours.... collect them all and display them on your computer desk !!

I only know this because a friend brought me one over the other night and left the menu here, i did not finish the sandwich, the dog did.

Must differ from branch to branch then. The 69 Baht daily special, as I described above, is the deal at the Subway in J-City, near Sala Daeng BTS. Has been for a few months. Those smaller snack-size subs are also available and are about 49 Baht I think.

(and please have some self respect for yourself and dont make a 6inch/12inch joke)

i had something to do at lower Sukhumvit, 3 days ago, and decided to treat myself a subway sandwich for the first time since many months..... went to that branch next to LANDMARK HOTEL, and indeed it was MUCH SMALLER than any subway sandwich I ever had before (even at that specific branch). will not go to Subway again....

oh, by the way, arent these Sukhumvit branches owned by one of the sponsors of this Forum ?

strange tactics in marketing..... they may know a lot about VISA and LAW in Thailand, but sure somebody needs to teach them on marketing-issues.....

Edited by THAILIBAN

i had something to do at lower Sukhumvit, 3 days ago, and decided to treat myself a subway sandwich for the first time since many months..... went to that branch next to LANDMARK HOTEL, and indeed it was MUCH SMALLER than any subway sandwich I ever had before (even at that specific branch). will not go to Subway again....

oh, by the way, arent these Sukhumvit branches owned by one of the sponsors of this Forum ?

strange tactics in marketing..... they may know a lot about VISA and LAW in Thailand, but sure somebody needs to teach them on marketing-issues.....

What does the size of the sandwich have to do with the marketing campaign implemented by it?

I bought a coffee in the Soi Nana location and the dude wanted an extra 10bt for the creamer !!?

That was a year ago. Have not had the urge to go back.

What does the size of the sandwich have to do with the marketing campaign implemented by it?

very simple:

people dont come back..... no more revenue.... the place was already kinda deserted, and it was prime time for food around 6.30 p.m.....