Belgian-Dutch Drug Ring Caught On Koh Samui

george

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good case ta catch this dealers and I hope they can stay whole life in Bangkok Hilton or worse.

With the drugs they sell or handle this criminals forget how many thousands of victims they will make, and the misery for theis familys so why some people worry about their lives or the consequentions what go happen now.

If this happen in my country (Belgium) after less than five years jail they are free like a bird and they can start over again, cause this is a lot of money and such dealers can pay verry good lawyers, a thief who steals here a bicycle can have at least 6 months of prison, so the best thing is KEEP them all in Thailand because they love Thailand indeed! and here the streets are cleaner without this dealers.

while i don't think drug dealing is exactly a respectable profession and these people were out of line for flagrantly flouting the laws, i disagree that it is anywhere near deserving of the death penalty. if these people held someone down and forced drugs into them, that's one thing, but they didn't. there will always be a supply available. those who choose to partake in it are doing so at their own risk. adults should be free to make that choice for themselves, as they are free to do by smoking a cigarette, drinking liquor, and getting into their car to go to work every day. i agree that legalizing drugs and focusing more on education & rehabilitation is the answer, rather than killing people involved in the marketing of them.

while i don't think drug dealing is exactly a respectable profession and these people were out of line for flagrantly flouting the laws, i disagree that it is anywhere near deserving of the death penalty. if these people held someone down and forced drugs into them, that's one thing, but they didn't. there will always be a supply available. those who choose to partake in it are doing so at their own risk. adults should be free to make that choice for themselves, as they are free to do by smoking a cigarette, drinking liquor, and getting into their car to go to work every day. i agree that legalizing drugs and focusing more on education & rehabilitation is the answer, rather than killing people involved in the marketing of them.

agree 100%. Thank you girlx

A good case ta catch this dealers and I hope they can stay whole life in Bangkok Hilton or worse.

With the drugs they sell or handle this criminals forget how many thousands of victims they will make, and the misery for theis familys so why some people worry about their lives or the consequentions what go happen now.

If this happen in my country (Belgium) after less than five years jail they are free like a bird and they can start over again, cause this is a lot of money and such dealers can pay verry good lawyers, a thief who steals here a bicycle can have at least 6 months of prison, so the best thing is KEEP them all in Thailand because they love Thailand indeed! and here the streets are cleaner without this dealers.

It did happen in Belgium. They will be extradited and have not been arrested for dealing drugs in Thailand, but have been arrested at the request of the Belgian police.

It did happen in Belgium. They will be extradited and have not been arrested for dealing drugs in Thailand, but have been arrested at the request of the Belgian police.

so they were just trying to live out their lives on a tropical island, retired as young as 25. their problem was the money laundering then. thats where they went wrong huh?

If this happen in my country (Belgium) after less than five years jail they are free like a bird

so the best thing is KEEP them all in Thailand because they love Thailand indeed!

If you read the reports, you'll discover that they will be in YOUR prison system.

It DID happen in your country and I presume then by your post that Thailand can expect to have them back here in less than 5 years.

Sorry, they are coming to Belgium... likely very soon.

Stupid law anyway. If people want to kill themselves with drugs what's the problem? The only result you get by making it illegal is creating a profitable market.

If just more people would think like that...

Restricting the use of drugs makes no sense. Governments should get rid of these unnecessary laws and focus on educating people about the consequences of drug use. Then its every bodies choice to do drugs or not. If people want to be stupid they find a way to be anyway.

hmm looks like a death sentence case

I hope so...they deserve it!!!

That comment sickens me. In a free society people will have the choice to do what they want. If they choose to kill themselves with drugs, so be it.

And as another poster mentioned, no one deserves the death penalty. It's barbaric and inhumane and puts us on par with the likes of Hitler and George W Bush.

You can drink and smoke yourself to death no problem,the law is an ass sometimes,.they will ban suicide soon as bad for you !

If found guilty, THROW THE BOOK AT 'EM.

It's people (!) like those who force immigration to really clamp down on visa rules, and law abiding residents suffer more stringent rules (sometimes to the point of departing LoS forever).

Edited by Big A

Nobody deserves a death sentence. Only uncivilized countries still practice it.

Belgium has the death penalty ?

No, but Thailand does, and they were caught here.

Im from belgium, Belguim have the dead penalty.., only its now automatic converted to - whole live in prisson.

Belgium has the death penalty ?

No, but Thailand does, and they were caught here.

Im from belgium, Belguim have the dead penalty.., only its now automatic converted to - whole live in prisson.

Belgium still has the death penalty on its statute books?

Not according to Amnesty International

http://web.amnesty.org/pages/deathpenalty-countries-eng

I used to live and work in Belgium - it was removed completely from your constitution in 2005 I beleive?

Mind you some were clamouring for it around the time of Marc Dutroux

If found guilty, THROW THE BOOK AT 'EM.

It's people (!) like those who force immigration to really clamp down on visa rules, and law abiding residents suffer more stringent rules (sometimes to the point of departing LoS forever).

Law abiding residents should not have anything to worry about more stringent visa rules i would have thought.

I would have thought the hang em high brigade would like the rules as stringent as possible.

Unless of course they are "Bending" those rules to stay in Thailand themselves in either the spirit or letter of the law?

Of course drugs should be legalized and taxed, but whether this taxation money would go into education and rehabilitation in Thailand is doubtful. I think it would probably go elsewhere...

Governments around the world sell to the weak minded by supplying smokers and alcoholics with drugs, but these killer drugs are legal so that's okay, but if anyone else sells the illegal killer drugs then they can be executed, right?

Having said that (putting aside the debate about whether they should be legalized or not), these drugs are NOT legal in Thailand so an opportunity is there for anyone who is prepared to take the risks to make large sums of money. Therefore, if they know the risks and are crazy/stupid enough to gamble their lives on a daily basis then it is difficult to have sympathy for them when they are caught.

Good catch. Looks like some of the big fish have been caught, once they are returned to their own country's prisons it will be a holiday from there after their time in one of those horrific Thai prisons, keep them in Thailand for as long as possible, let them suffer to compensate for all the lives of innocent men, women, children and all others that get stamped on destroyed or murdered along the way whilst these evil drug pedlars and suppliers continue to supply these shocking terribly life threatening substances.

The sentence these type of people get be it the death sentence or not I do not care about as long as the punishment reflects the crime.

I guess depending if your Mum, Sister, Brother, Child or other person close to you has been caught in this death trap will depend on how severe you think sentences should be for this offence.

People like this continue to murder and destroy lives daily on a daily basis for personal financial gain and greed to feed there own depraved habit of feeling in control of peoples lives and then gradually the victim dies in one way another either physically or mentally, and the dealers and suppliers as intended become rich beyond belief.

Individuals that murder people and torture there lives in till they become dependant on the supplier of something that can potentially kill them well they are very low in my list of people I am to bothered about except

I hope they suffer please they deserve it,

Greed, Greed, Greed, Biggest killer ever

Please note once again these only my thoughts, they are not written to provoke, in advance I am sorry if I offend and please remember every one is entitled to an opinion.

I do not agree with the death penalty either, but if that is the law of a given land, then that's their business. I am tired of people who whine and moan about such things when they know full well that's the way it is. If you don't like the laws of a given land then DON'T go there. If these guys are found guilty and get iced, no doubt there will be an outcry, but not from me.

I do not agree with the death penalty either, but if that is the law of a given land, then that's their business. I am tired of people who whine and moan about such things when they know full well that's the way it is. If you don't like the laws of a given land then DON'T go there. If these guys are found guilty and get iced, no doubt there will be an outcry, but not from me.

I tend to agree with you - I am totally against the death penalty but if you know the law of the land then the old "Time and crime" rhyme comes in - thats why I found the Warren Fellows dribble abhorent.

Strange thing is though I now find myself living in a country which hangs people for 2 grammes and its done regularly

Great just great - here we go again for the hundredth time with the pro and con death penalty debate. I guess I will weigh in my two bahts worth so the dogooders can howl how unfair my opinion is, shame on me - you take the risk, you know the consequences. The death penalty is applied. Its the law of the country where you got caught. Its not exactly rocket science to know they knew the rewards v's the risks.

I for one would have no quarms in pushing the lethal injection button. But then again I spent 25 years in law enforcement and have seen first hand the pain and misery that drugs caused. You 'turn the other cheek' types that feel that only uncivilised countries still practice it should come out of your warm fluffy box for a shot of reality.

thanxs

Those of us foreigners who live here need to get the word out to our fellow-countrymen to stay the hel_l away from here if we know of someone who's thinking of committing criminal activity. The miscreants from our home countries who come here and do such things only make it worse for the rest of us. I think that's one reason why we've been seeing a tightening of immigration laws here in Thailand. In 2003, it was Hambali (Bali bombing mastermind) who was caught hanging out here for months and months on a 30 day tourist visa. Then is was that American (I am an American) fruitcake John Mark Karr who claimed bogus responsibilty for a sensational murder in the US to get himself deported so he could avoid getting nailed for child molestation charges here. Then we have farang beggars in the streets of BKK. If you know of a fellow countryman who is here and breaking major laws, tell them to get the hel_l out.

Belgian-Dutch drug ring caught on Thai resort island

Cont'ed from here.

SURAT THANI: -- Four foreign nationals have been arrested on drug trafficking charges in Koh Samui off Surat Thani province while one other remains at large, a senior Thai police said Thursday.

Commander of the Royal Thai Police Narcotics Suppression Bureau Pol. Lt-Gen. Wut Liptapallop said the four were rounded up by police at a house in Koh Samui but their suspected leader, a Belgian national named Lotha Gabriel, had escaped arrest and was believed to be hiding out somewhere in the popular island resort.

The four were identified as Ronald Koornwinder, 46, and Paulus Meyer, 44, from the Netherlands; and Koen Van Staay, 30, and Kelly Cautereels, 25, from Belgium. Ms. Cautereels is the only woman in the group.

The police seized their cars and found several bank account books in their possession with combined deposits of about Bt100 million.

Gen. Wut said the local banks on Koh Samui will be asked to freeze the drug suspects' accounts including any others which may not have been found in the police raid, conducted with the help of tips from the Belgian police.

The foreigners had reportedly bought expensive plots of land and houses on the island resort, allegedly with the drug money, according to the narcotics police chief.

The foreign suspects led by Mr. Gabriel, for whom the police launched a manhunt on Koh Samui and nearby areas, had allegedly trafficked 200 kilogrammes of marijuana and heroin worth about five billion baht (100 million euros) last year, he added.

--TNA 2007-10-19

I am not especially for the death sentence although they deserve it as we dont need this sort of criminals in Thailand. They give a very bad picture of all foreigners living here and these criminal practices always go against the honest farangs who want to be quiet and stay here in accordance with thai laws. I hope these guys will never be extraded and that they will rot in the thai jawls until the end of their life. Everybody knows what they incur in Thailand when they start drug trafficking so I dont care of what can happen now for them. The only positive thing for these people is with all money they have they will be able to corrupt the prison guards to get a better life in thai jawls.

Hmm - From this news report and previous ones re the bikers etc, it seems that the island of Samui is not such an 'exclusive' and jetsetting destination after all ...

Simon

Indeed it does... from the other thread earlier this morning

In the latest, the Post still hasn't picked up on the fifth suspect, the Belgian arrested in the hospital... but otherwise, more details, including their Great Escape attempt, the missing gang leader, the first mention of local seizures during the arrest, and the impact of the burgeoning international criminal gangs on Samui.....

'Most-wanted' Belgium drugs gang captured

About 50 police, including nine from Belgium, raided four houses in a five-rai compound of tambon Boh Pud early yesterday, said Pol Maj-Gen Wut. As police waited for maids to lock up fierce guard dogs, the suspects scaled the backyard fence and tried to flee into the mountain, only to meet waiting policemen. Police could not find the leader identified as Lota Gariel, a Belgian who runs a kick-boxing establishment. Police seized four cars and bank passbooks with deposits totalling more than 100 million baht. A source in the local tourism business said Koh Samui has become a bustling mafia hub. Earlier this year, four members of the Bandidos motorcycle gang and four Thai accomplices were arrested. In March, John Fowler, 57, was arrested for masterminding the biggest robbery in British criminal history had bought an expensive house on Koh Samui.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/19Oct2007_news08.php

========================================================================