Indian Food

BossHogg

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess same owners of the now closed Royal India Charoepratet Rd. Good food, crap atmosphere and very dirty. Hope the new location has fewer rats

I think you are making an unfair comment. I lived at the back of the Anusan markets and the Royal was a favourite eating place of mine before going to the Guitarman. The food was always consistently good, very tasty, the owner pleasant without being overly effusive. Certainly the decor was not great but I found it to be clean and good value. From you post it reads that you saw rats inside the restaurant which is something I must have missed in my frequent visits. Certainly there are rats/mice in the streets and near the river all around Chiang Mai/Thailand but I never saw evidence of them being in the Royal.

I am pleased that he has moved up near the Salsa Kitchen - I will now have two choices for good food up there. I even think the girlfriend will eat this unlike the more western style food at the Salsa. She did however very quickly learn how to eat ribs there - just couldn't believe the size of the servings.

CB

I guess same owners of the now closed Royal India Charoepratet Rd. Good food, crap atmosphere and very dirty. Hope the new location has fewer rats

I think you are making an unfair comment. I lived at the back of the Anusan markets and the Royal was a favourite eating place of mine before going to the Guitarman. The food was always consistently good, very tasty, the owner pleasant without being overly effusive. Certainly the decor was not great but I found it to be clean and good value. From you post it reads that you saw rats inside the restaurant which is something I must have missed in my frequent visits. Certainly there are rats/mice in the streets and near the river all around Chiang Mai/Thailand but I never saw evidence of them being in the Royal.

I am pleased that he has moved up near the Salsa Kitchen - I will now have two choices for good food up there. I even think the girlfriend will eat this unlike the more western style food at the Salsa. She did however very quickly learn how to eat ribs there - just couldn't believe the size of the servings.

CB

Good food and I was a repeat visitor. But visiting the grubby toilet I nosed in the 'function' room and there was a rat. I remember visiting the rat temple in Bikanner in Rajesthan a few years back. I'm not overly sensitive but a rat is a rat.

Good food and I was a repeat visitor. But visiting the grubby toilet I nosed in the 'function' room and there was a rat. I remember visiting the rat temple in Bikanner in Rajesthan a few years back. I'm not overly sensitive but a rat is a rat.

I never even knew they had a function room 8) - I wasn't having a go at you and accept what you saw. Here's hoping the new restaurant lifts it's game across the board.

I have been to the same temple in Rajesthan - incredible. Also the snake temple - Vipers of all sorts fat as and doped on the "incense". Apparently it is good luck to be bitten and die from one of them.

A friend got bitten by a monkey in Lopburi and had to do the full set of rabies injections before he could go back to the US. We kept flicking water at him in case he showed hydrophobia - one of the signs of rabies. Many years ago I got bitten by a bat in the Chiang Rai region and those shots really hurt.

CB

Many years ago I got bitten by a bat in the Chiang Rai region and those shots really hurt.

CB

did the bat die? :o

speaking of royal india, glad to hear they are back. the owners are nice people. go have their hot indian tea with masal (tell them less sugar) in the evenings with a samosa and mint chutney. or pakoras. nice!

Many years ago I got bitten by a bat in the Chiang Rai region and those shots really hurt.

There are worse regions in which one can be bitten :o .

I KNEW you guys would come back with a response like that - so predictable. Ok the bat bit me on the side of my face and I got several deep scratches at the same time. As far as I am aware the bat suffered no ill effects from me and neither did I. The injections did hurt and I have genuine sympathy for anyone who has to have them. Rabies is still relatively common in Thailand and not something to be taken lightly. The viral infection is horrific and once it has taken is fatal. Early care is essential and any bite from animals should be treated by a doctor and regarded as potentially rabid.

CB

However back to the OP - cha masala is one of my favourite drinks and quite easy to make. The spices that are commonly used are cinnamon, cloves, and cardamon. Sometimes for special occasions a few saffron stigmas will be added. To make two cups of Cha Masala use a 3cm stick of cinnamon, 2 green cardamon pods, and three cloves. Add these to two cups of fresh full cream milk in a saucepan with 3 tsp of good quality Indian Tea. Add sugar to taste - it should be sweet so the person who taught me suggested 4 tsp of sugar. Heat the milk and spices in the saucepan and when it starts to foam at the sides take it off the heat. Allow to settle for a few minutes to draw flavour. Pour into cups through a fine mesh strainer.

CB

Ok the bat bit me on the side of my face and I got several deep scratches at the same time. As far as I am aware the bat suffered no ill effects from me and neither did I. The injections did hurt and I have genuine sympathy for anyone who has to have them. Rabies is still relatively common in Thailand and not something to be taken lightly. The viral infection is horrific and once it has taken is fatal. Early care is essential and any bite from animals should be treated by a doctor and regarded as potentially rabid.

CB

Last night I was at Jammers (one of those dreaded open-air places) and was severly bitten by the legendary Love/Lust bug. Fortunately, especially for my wife, I quickly downed several painful shots of medicinal alcohol which seems to have affected a cure. At least for the moment..

Back OT, so far on this thread the Bombay Indian Restaurant seems to be located both inside the moat North of Chiang Mai gate and South of Chiang Mai gate outside the moat. I don't get out much but have so far been unsuccessful in finding it. Has anyone actually been there who can lead me by the hand? I will, in gratitude, be happy to offer you a partially-eaten Samosa.

da Dustoff

Ok the bat bit me on the side of my face and I got several deep scratches at the same time. As far as I am aware the bat suffered no ill effects from me and neither did I. The injections did hurt and I have genuine sympathy for anyone who has to have them. Rabies is still relatively common in Thailand and not something to be taken lightly. The viral infection is horrific and once it has taken is fatal. Early care is essential and any bite from animals should be treated by a doctor and regarded as potentially rabid.

CB

Last night I was at Jammers (one of those dreaded open-air places) and was severly bitten by the legendary Love/Lust bug. Fortunately, especially for my wife, I quickly downed several painful shots of medicinal alcohol which seems to have affected a cure. At least for the moment..

Back OT, so far on this thread the Bombay Indian Restaurant seems to be located both inside the moat North of Chiang Mai gate and South of Chiang Mai gate outside the moat. I don't get out much but have so far been unsuccessful in finding it. Has anyone actually been there who can lead me by the hand? I will, in gratitude, be happy to offer you a partially-eaten Samosa.

da Dustoff

. . . and there was me thinking that was some kind of euphemism used by those who accidentally find themselves trapped in a bar on Loi Kroh. I hope all is well Mr Dustoff and that the cure has had no nasty side effects.

Anyone else counting down the hours to the curry night at Tuskers? It's going get ugly at the buffet if I don't get my fair share of the bhajis! :o

JxP

checked out Carrefour this morning and was delighted to see a whole new range of indian supplies at their imported food section. whole wheat flour, most of them premixed masala from MDH(good stuff), all kinds of lentils and even chickpeas (garbanzo beans?) for making hummus, semolina (for making indian sweets), only thing missing is Rang Mahal Frozen food. go check it out.

Edited by tigerbeer

I read in another thread there is soon to be a new Indian restaurant near the Salsa kitchen. Anymore info anyone?

The Royal India restaurant will be the name of the place and it's in that area where the salsa kitchen and the reggae bars are.

The owner has a small [seating for about six people] place on the main rd, Rajawiti at the moment which opens up about 5.30 in the evening.

I tried it on Saturday night I had a chicken kebab 50baht and 2 samosas with chutney and salad for 20baht - very reasonably priced and the food was very good. The menu is smallish at the moment - a masala curry, biriyani at 25baht one or two other dishes but if the quality of food stays the same the Royal India looks like somewhere that will be worth heading to.

The only downpoint was the owner who didn't appear to be the most personable of people, maybe it was just his lack of English.

Directions - Rajawiti rd - same side of the road as the saloon and the UN Irish, it's in the last row of shop houses before you hit the crossroads

Yes. As I trundled slowly through the potholes this week, seeking a parking space not TOO far from the UNIrish, there was Mr Royal India supervising the fitting up of his new place near Salsa Kitchen. Through my open window he shook me warmly by the throat and promised me he would be "open in 3 weeks" and I look forward to it. This is the shorter, older, smilier member of the old team on Charoenprathet.

And to reiterate, rehash and repeat: Bombay IS now south of CM Gate on the road leading to CM Gate Hotel but less than 30m south of the outer moat road itself. On the left. If you pass the hospital on the left you've overshot. It moved from north of the Gate over a year ago. My kingdom for an ordnance survey map!!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi guys anybody seen the 'Curry Pot' (opposite Hot Pot) being set up at Kad Suan Kaew? Looks like it could be just the job........let's wait and see!

Curry Pot is now opened. I had a set lunch there today, mutton curry, with choice of naan or yellow rice, small salad, yogurt, and bean soup for 169B. I thought the curry was just ok, the naan was good though. I still prefer the curries at Hinlay, much tastier in comparison. But its nice to have another choice of cuisine in KSK.

How about the two Indian restaurants listed at the Discoverthailand.com site, Asma Restaurant Address: 248/55-56 Maneenoprarat and Naina Indian Food & Drink Address: 138 Charoenrajd Rd....anyone?

Neither was very impressive, last I tried them. Not sure Naina is still around.

Tried the Royal India on Saturday night - good food at a good price, the mutton vindaloo could of done with being a bit spicier and the popadoms can with the main course but otherwise highly recommended.

Also noticed today that there is a new french restaurant opening next to the Prince hotel previously it was a shortlived Indian restaurant.

I too tried the Royal India, in the past week, and yes I was impressed with the quality of the food and the price, though was less than impressed with the service, as they only had 1 waitress working, the place was quite busy and it just seemed to take a long time to be served.

Still worth a visit of you've got the time to spare!

My two rupees worth...

Just tried Hinlay for lunch today. Lovely location - we ate in the garden - very romantic.

Had Pork Vindaloo, Chicken Tikka Masala, Dhal, roti, and some yellow spiced rice. Bill came to under 200 bt

Overall - quite decent. Not great, but solid good food. The vindaloo was the most disappointing - a touch bitter, and not any real depth of flavour. But the Chicken Tikka Masala was very good - just a touch sweet for my tastes - but still very good. And the dhal was not deeply Indian flavoured, but had a nice hint of ginger pervading it.

Oh yes - both the pork and the chicken were very tender. Next time I will try the Chicken Dopiaza.

The little crispy/flaky roti was a treat! The yellow rice was ordinary.

Overall - a B+. That is a good mark from me - I am very picky! And my mum is a restaurant critic...

Cheers, Mark

p.s. - Worst Indian meal of my life? Arabia - about two years ago. Disgusting and expensive.

p.p.s. - Best Indian meal of my life - a high-end totally-fresh Indian restaurant in Rapongi, Tokyo, about twenty years ago. All the ingredients were so fresh that I can still taste them. Expensive.

p.p.p.s. - Favourite place to eat Indian food - a little Dhaba (stall) in Dharmsala, India. Very very good food - 12 rupees.

p.p.p.p.s. - Best somosas in CM? IN MY FREEZER! I always ask visa-runners to bring me back a hundred somosas from the Muslim street carts in Burma (Mei Sai). 1 baht each!!!! I pop 6-8 of these little beauties into my toaster oven for 7 minutes, mix some cumin, chillies, salt, and yoghurt together while they are heating. Crispy little delights, I can tell you! Not overloaded with mashed potato...

Burmese Curries

I forgot to mention that there is a great little Burmese restaurant that usually has one or two Indian-style curries.

It is on the little road that leads into Hillside 3. This is off Neimanheman rd right by the second (most southerly) 7-11.

If going south on NH rd. turn right at the second 7-11, and stop. It is just off the intersection on the left. They sometimes have a fish curry that is stupendous (albeit a little oily). And their bean/lentil soup is extraordinary.

Also try the various salads - including the Pennywort, and the fresh Tea-leaf salad.

Cheep cheep cheap!

Cheers, Mark

My two rupees worth...

Just tried Hinlay for lunch today. Lovely location - we ate in the garden - very romantic.

Had Pork Vindaloo, Chicken Tikka Masala, Dhal, roti, and some yellow spiced rice. Bill came to under 200 bt

Overall - quite decent. Not great, but solid good food. The vindaloo was the most disappointing - a touch bitter, and not any real depth of flavour. But the Chicken Tikka Masala was very good - just a touch sweet for my tastes - but still very good. And the dhal was not deeply Indian flavoured, but had a nice hint of ginger pervading it.

Oh yes - both the pork and the chicken were very tender. Next time I will try the Chicken Dopiaza.

The little crispy/flaky roti was a treat! The yellow rice was ordinary.

Overall - a B+. That is a good mark from me - I am very picky! And my mum is a restaurant critic...

Cheers, Mark

p.s. - Worst Indian meal of my life? Arabia - about two years ago. Disgusting and expensive.

p.p.s. - Best Indian meal of my life - a high-end totally-fresh Indian restaurant in Rapongi, Tokyo, about twenty years ago. All the ingredients were so fresh that I can still taste them. Expensive.

p.p.p.s. - Favourite place to eat Indian food - a little Dhaba (stall) in Dharmsala, India. Very very good food - 12 rupees.

p.p.p.p.s. - Best somosas in CM? IN MY FREEZER! I always ask visa-runners to bring me back a hundred somosas from the Muslim street carts in Burma (Mei Sai). 1 baht each!!!! I pop 6-8 of these little beauties into my toaster oven for 7 minutes, mix some cumin, chillies, salt, and yoghurt together while they are heating. Crispy little delights, I can tell you! Not overloaded with mashed potato...

Do you have a favorite samosa vendor in Mae Sai? Headed there this week ...

Favourite vendor? Not really. I think that there are only two or three carts, and they are probably the same family!

I now have a long-term visa, so I haven't been to Burma in a long time now. (The vendors are in Burma, of course. Not Mae Sai itself). The street carts were in the regular tourist market, just in from the border, and down the steps to the right...

A buddy went a few months ago and stumbled upon an actual restaurant where he bought me my somosas. They were more expensive than the street vendors (2 baht, not 1 baht), but they were bigger than the street ones - just as delicious!

My understanding is that most Indian food in Burma is done by Muslims - people with a high regard for quality of food and cleanliness, etc. The point being that they are all probably great!

btw individual somosas on the street carts were 3-5 baht each, but they will happily sell you 100 for 100 baht (maybe I paid 120 the last time)

Also, these carts have a few other 'fritters' - pakora/bujia, corn fritters, chilli-pepper fritters, etc., etc. Try them all, and then buy big bags full! Also, I suggest going to see them first and getting them to cook them at once. Get them to lay them out and let them cool - come back later to get them. Then you are not carrying around big steaming bags, and they should transport better. Don't forget to get bags of their spicy dipping sauce!!!!!

And let me know when the Somosa Party is!!!

good luck - but you won't need it!

Mark

p.s. If you spend the night in Burma, there is a great stuffed-roti (paratha? bathura? I can't remember exactly) stand that is open late. It is just at the end of the border street - about 100 meters in from the crossing - in a little square on the right. I ate two!!!!

Pork Vindaloo? That is in the same league as Penang Pork.

Arabia in Anusan Market? If so yes expensive, not disgusting but more disapointing. I quite like their Mutton or Goat (better) Roganjosh but a meal there is not cheap and in my opinion poor value compared to the other places around.

I can think of hundreds of places in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka - all with regional differences and all wonderful. There are some excellent small restaurants in Penang that do very similar style to Goa, KL has some very good restaurants. Singapore also good but more expensive. In Thailand the southern regions has very good muslim style Malay influenced food. Unfortunately up here in the North we are much more restricted in choice which is strange.

I know the ones you mean. I used to buy some for the trip back from Mai Sai to Chiang Mai when I did border runs. Didn't buy a hundred of them at a time but maybe 3 which was sufficient. They are very easy to make at home.

CB

All this talk about Indian food made me hungry again last night. So I went for an Indian dinner (lunch was not enough).

Went to Bombay - and was very impressed.

Four of us - Somosas (nice, crispy, not greasy, basically potato). Papad - fried. Dhal - very good. Chicken Masala - good - too much potato and the chicken was a little dry. Bombay Aloo (potato) - nice and juicy. Sag paneer (spinach with cheese) - great, really great - the spinach was not loaded with cream like many others, and the palak was fried separately giving it a deep flavour and slightly crispy texture. Chipati - fine.

Four of us ate for 400 baht (only one lassi), and while full, none of us felt stuffed - a too common feeling after many Indian meals.

Two of the diners said it compared favourable to Royal (the new one), so that will be on my list when I get back in the New Years...

Hello Crow Boy

I hope you mean it is easy to toast pre-made somosas at home when you say "they are very easy to make at home"

While my own attempts always taste ok, I can not make nice looking somosas - sigh.

Just like my dim sum - delicious (I think) but just a little too ugly! Har Gow that look like lumpy pillows, and Gyoza that look like -- sorry, I don't know what they look like, but they at least taste like Gyoza