Spirulina And Chlorella 'superfoods'

Trevor

These two are similar and so good I take both! But only tablets sourced from commercial supplement companies in the West. These are too expensive in Thailand due to import duties, so where can I buy local produce? I know there is a spirulina farm in Chiangmai, but where are their retail outlets? Many thanks!

Hi Trevor,

My family and myself are also big fans (and consumers) of these superfoods.

I haven't found any outlets in BKK but if you call Khun Mam at 02966 5556 (sales representative for Chaing Mai's plant) she'll have it delivered at your home by courrier. Quality is excellent, price=2,400.+ Baht per kilo.

Still sourcing for chlorella powder, but I'm afraid I'l have to order it from the internet (www.bulkfoods.com).

FYI, the same amount of spirulina powder purchased in capsule form would cost you 6,500 Baht.

Hope this helps

sh

These two are similar and so good I take both! But only tablets sourced from commercial supplement companies in the West. These are too expensive in Thailand due to import duties, so where can I buy local produce? I know there is a spirulina farm in Chiangmai, but where are their retail outlets? Many thanks!

Excuse my ignorance, but what are these foods good for ??

they're considered as some of the most nutritious foods on the planet and scientists believe they could be the solution to malnutrition in the third world.

www.chlorellafactor.com contains all the info you could possibly need about the subject in 39 pages.

they're considered as some of the most nutritious foods on the planet and scientists believe they could be the solution to malnutrition in the third world.

www.chlorellafactor.com contains all the info you could possibly need about the subject in 39 pages.

I also live in Chiang Mai and am trying to find what some would call a "health food store"

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Trevor,

My family and myself are also big fans (and consumers) of these superfoods.

I haven't found any outlets in BKK but if you call Khun Mam at 02966 5556 (sales representative for Chaing Mai's plant) she'll have it delivered at your home by courrier. Quality is excellent, price=2,400.+ Baht per kilo.

Still sourcing for chlorella powder, but I'm afraid I'l have to order it from the internet (www.bulkfoods.com).

FYI, the same amount of spirulina powder purchased in capsule form would cost you 6,500 Baht.

Hope this helps

sh

Many thanks for the sales link. Have you seen any cheap CHLORELLA in Thailand? I like to take together with Spirulina.

"The term spirulina refers to a large number of cyanobacteria, or blue-green algae". That wet your appetite?

Actually it is very nutrition rich but can hold heavy metals and with no checks being made I would be very hesitant to use any local produced product.

• 8 months later...
"The term spirulina refers to a large number of cyanobacteria, or blue-green algae". That wet your appetite?

Actually it is very nutrition rich but can hold heavy metals and with no checks being made I would be very hesitant to use any local produced product.

I agree, the Spirulina from Thailand is grown on a farm (in Lampang) thats quite close to major roads and as Spirulina is very absorbant to all things good and bad, I personally choose to avoid the product from there. You could be doing yourself more harm than good.

Its sad that the govrnment here choose to make it so costly to import superfoods into Thailand as they have no harmful affects and boost health (if grown properly). Instead they allow people to import very poor and often dangerous 'beauty' products that claim to help lose weight without exercising etc. These are the things that should be targeted and not the likes of Spirulina, wheatgrass etc.

Excuse my ignorance, but what are these foods good for ??

They are mostly useful for people who are trying to drastically lower their caloric input, while getting as much nutrition as possible.

They are of no great use otherwise as one can just eat more common foods that taste much better and are much cheaper.

I've been getting Spirulina from Baan Suan Pak in Chiang Mai. I don't know anything about it being grown near a road. You can check with the women who owns the store. I've never been there myself personally. I've had friends bring it down for me.

on Vitchayanon Rd. phone 053233317

The women I spoke to on the phone was very nice and we are going to set up shipments to be sent down to me in Phangan when I return. I plan on going up to check out the store to see what else she has available and will be sure to ask her where things are coming from. That won't be until the fall.

I also live in Chiang Mai and am trying to find what some would call a "health food store"

Baan Suan Pak in Chiang Mai on Vitchayanon Rd near the President Hotel is probably Chiang Mai's best health food store. phone 053233317

Edited by Ulysses G.

the high levels of chloropil in the algae will help to remove the heavy metals, if they exist at all.

• 9 months later...

Does anyone here have any experience with the spirulina from Ban Suan Pak in Chiang Mai?

I bought it, but got a rather strong reaction on it. Headache, fushing of the face and fever. Just want to know whether this product is safe.

Edited by KireB

Boots carries spirulina tablets. 250 baht or so.

Supporting local business is obviously good, but I've also bought spirulina for a real good price on Ebay.

There's also a local product that's been around for centuries, rates as high or more highly than spirulina. It's called khai naam (water eggs) in Central Thai, or pham in Northern Thai. Common in most markets in the north.

• 1 month later...

There's no such thing as a 'superfood', thats marketing hype. If you want to call it a supplement, fine. Re. Spirulina, some of the stuff produced from China is 'sewerage fed' so you might want to think about buying from a quality supplier.