65% Of Voters Ready To Sell Votes

george

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeh personaly i think if you believe that voting for PPP as a 'protest vote' against the Generals is a good thing then you must be prety dumb, but hey, we are all entitled to our opinions. :o

Please tell me why you think it would be a good stratagey and you may even be able to change my mind.

I didn't say it was a "good" thing. But the most efficient.

And even though you seem really smart, I will try to make it simple for you (we never know...) :

-what does the junta hate ?

-answer : Thaksin

-which party seems, looks to support Thaksin's legacy ? The PPP

-therefore the most efficient way to say bugger off to the junta, is to vote PPP

This is not theory. Just plain common sense, and the referendum in august has proven it.

The constitution was supported by the junta, by the establishment. And people in North east, and other areas, just voted no. Nobody cared actually about the content of constitution. The referendum was used as a tool to piss off the generals. And it worked.

Now, it's unlikely that between august and december, thoses "no" voters will fall in love with the generals...

Do you follow ?

In this regard, it doesn't matter at all if Somchai leaves the party, or if he's sleeping with the stepmother of Somsak, or if the PPP changes its name, or whatever else thai byzantine "political" events. That's not the point.

Many thais are going to use a "label" (Thaksin), like a photo negative, to protest against the generals.

And, the best "protest vote" is of course a vote for the PPP. But that's another story. :D

If you believe that then you are prety dumb.

Why is that dumb?

The PPP purposely chose the man as closely linked with Thaksin as possible, This man is basically Thaksin without the economic prowess or desire for health care. Samak is a former Bangkok governor and like Chavalit, he sees his record of being utterly ineffective as a good resume. His very first speech as party leader was a perfect summary of his - and his party's - mentality:

[To corruption investigators] "You smack me and I'll smack you back" (Bangkok Post)

The PPP have stormed the north east of Thailand, shamelessly promoting themselves on their Thaksin connections. The PPP rallies saw supporters holding signs saying "Vote Samak, get Thaksin". Meanwhile the PPP speakers spent their time outlining not policies, not visions for Thailand, not assurances of clean behaviour but a litany of how great Thaksin was and how he was being bullied by the junta. That was it folks, that was all PPP had to offer.

Already internal splits have begun. PP member Chalerm Yoobamrung threatened to take his ball and go home if PPP did not allow his sons to run for election :

"If People Power does not select me and my two sons - Wan and Duang - as Bangkok candidates, I'll be ready to leave the party,The bottom line is that it must accept me and my sons as a package"

Yeh personaly i think if you believe that voting for PPP as a 'protest vote' against the Generals is a good thing then you must be prety dumb, but hey, we are all entitled to our opinions. :o

Please tell me why you think it would be a good stratagey and you may even be able to change my mind.

OK - a misunderstanding- I thought you were referring to the suggestion that people would vote PPP for no other reason than to protest the army as being dumb. I think you mean that people who would register their opposition to the military by voting PPP would have to be dumb.

Do you think it's possible that there will be people- perhaps a lot of people who don't want Thaksin back- but will vote PPP because they believe only by the PPP winning a sizeable majority, can the army be kept in its place (including, by ammending the constitution,scrapping- the Internal Security Act -if it becomes law- etc).

If vote buying is what will happen, then we can expect Thailand to remain the same wonderful place when people can comfortably say Mi pen Ri and allow the country once again to slip further behind the other countries in education, commerce and the ability to enter the mainstream global market. The night life will prosper acting as the countries leading source of social welfare while the corrupt politicians attempt to navigate the new mine field otherwise known as the new constitution.

After that deliberately sarcastic remark to get your attention, it will be the constitution that will force change. The people of Thailand have yet to learn or significantly taste the fruits of a government that is less corrupt. Although Thaksin did momentarily place Thailand in the global market, the fruits of that were divided between the few that control the countries wealth and not the people. If that were not the case then the percentage of people willing to sell their vote would be only a fraction of what it is.

If a sack of rice has more value than what found it’s way down to the poor under the Thaksin global push, the answer is obvious why votes will be sold.

Thai polls are notoriously inaccurate. You could have one poll saying one thing one day and another poll saying the opposite the next. I think the outcome of these polls depends largely on the agendas of the poll makers. A lot depends on exactly how the question was asked. I would be interested to know if the 3500 people polled in the 14 provinces included those in the anti junta areas still under martial law.

he who offers the biggest bag of rice will get the vote ,same same as always :o

The smart people in England and USA voted in Clinton and Blair for free.

They will have better to sell their vote. At least they will have gotten something.

I will never vote for free why should I waste my time and gas going to the polls.

Thai polls are notoriously inaccurate. You could have one poll saying one thing one day and another poll saying the opposite the next. I think the outcome of these polls depends largely on the agendas of the poll makers. A lot depends on exactly how the question was asked. I would be interested to know if the 3500 people polled in the 14 provinces included those in the anti junta areas still under martial law.

Well if the poll is accurate or not 50% is closer to 65% than 100% or 0%. However I agree knowing the demographics would help.

If vote buying is what will happen, then we can expect Thailand to remain the same wonderful place when people can comfortably say Mi pen Ri and allow the country once again to slip further behind the other countries in education, commerce and the ability to enter the mainstream global market. The night life will prosper acting as the countries leading source of social welfare while the corrupt politicians attempt to navigate the new mine field otherwise known as the new constitution.

After that deliberately sarcastic remark to get your attention, it will be the constitution that will force change. The people of Thailand have yet to learn or significantly taste the fruits of a government that is less corrupt. Although Thaksin did momentarily place Thailand in the global market, the fruits of that were divided between the few that control the countries wealth and not the people. If that were not the case then the percentage of people willing to sell their vote would be only a fraction of what it is.

If a sack of rice has more value than what found it’s way down to the poor under the Thaksin global push, the answer is obvious why votes will be sold.

Just how do you expect that the new constitution will force the kind of change that will curb the tendency of the public to sell their votes?

I'm also curious: did the poll ask if the respondents would HONOR their pledge to vote for the polititian who pays them? Vote buying is becoming more and more difficult due to improved poll monitoring - so it is common to hear Thais say, sure I'll except money from candidate X ---- then go out and vote for candidate Y.

I know of a certain candidate (Democrat) not far from Bangkok who shows up at every wedding, funeral, etc in the district- and is more than generous at those occasions. Is this vote buying? Would the people, given a choice between him and someone who does absolutely nothing at all for his constituents- except to offer 1000 baht note every time there's an election, need to be paid to vote for this character? My suspicion is- no. They would vote for him freely on the expectation of services to be rendered. And while they might accept the 1000 baht note- they will use their vote to ensure that the real gladhander is not swept aside.

ABAC poll: 65% of respondents ready to sell votes

Enough said. Corrupt people deserve a corrupt government.

Now do the survey in other countries. :o

Yes, preferably while recognizing the different vote-buying strategy employed by politicians in the West.

I am of course talking about the following:

* Thailand: Vote for me, I'll give you money before you vote.

vs

* Everywhere else : Vote for me, I'll give you money after I get elected.

LOADS of people vote because they expect to get paid. If not in red notes on the spot, then in tax breaks or other cleverly conceiled hand-outs.

This is democracy; two wolves and a chicken voting on what's for dinner.

Edited by Sanpatong

We've come a long, long way since Thailand's least corrupt elections ever in 2001*.

It's obvious that the Thai people's lack of concern as to where their vote goes is symptomatic of the lack of respect the Thai elite and their military lapdogs give the to the votes of the Thai people.

The Thai poor, which is the majority of the population know very well that their vote is de facto meaningless in this coming sham of an election so they will make their vote count the only way it can - financially.

Make no mistake, the coup has set Thailand back 25 years. We are now seeing the effects.

Hear hear.

Assumption University ABAC Poll director Noppadol Kannikar said the poll conducted among 3,758 eligible voters aged above 18 in 14 provinces nationwide between October 15 -20 showed that almost 65 per cent of all respondents were willing to accept bribes in exchange for their votes in the December 23 election.

Only of 35.4 per cent of the respondents said they would not accept bribes or favours in exchange for their votes.

Also, the most worrisome result obtained from the survey was that 83 per cent of the respondents said they would not inform the Election Commission or concerned officials on any vote-buying practices even if they had evidence.

Two-thirds -- 66.7 per cent -- said vote-buying in Thailand is now reaching its most critical point ever.

Only 51.9 per cent of the respondents said they would consider both political party policies and the qualifications and personalities of the candidates before casting their ballots, while 28 per cent said they would give preferential attention to the candidates themselves and only 20.1 per cent indicated they would make their decision based on party policy platforms.

--TNA 2007-10-21

Everybody start bashing and pulling their worse sides out, however, is there anyone who does not believe in everything he reads?

A poll by ABAC? Worthwhile? :D

Only 3,748 respondents? :D There are 60 million people in Thailand, out of which at least 60% should be eligible voters. Simple maths (60,000,000x60% = 36,000,000) 3,748 is nearly only 0.01% of the eligible voters. Is this %age enough worthy of putting it on whole population? :o I think its no more than a joke. On the contrary, I do not deny that votes are not influenced. It is same as any other country, thats the reason most of us live here in Thailand. :D

Since when surveys are the true representatives. Haven't those who believe in this heard about sample-population relationtships and errors which are very common while considered sample as a representative of whole population?

Seems like we should learns more about at least two things

1. Statistics and sampling techniques

2. Do not believe in everything you read. :D

Just how do you expect that the new constitution will force the kind of change that will curb the tendency of the public to sell their votes?

I'm also curious: did the poll ask if the respondents would HONOR their pledge to vote for the polititian who pays them? Vote buying is becoming more and more difficult due to improved poll monitoring - so it is common to hear Thais say, sure I'll except money from candidate X ---- then go out and vote for candidate Y.

I know of a certain candidate (Democrat) not far from Bangkok who shows up at every wedding, funeral, etc in the district- and is more than generous at those occasions. Is this vote buying? Would the people, given a choice between him and someone who does absolutely nothing at all for his constituents- except to offer 1000 baht note every time there's an election, need to be paid to vote for this character? My suspicion is- no. They would vote for him freely on the expectation of services to be rendered. And while they might accept the 1000 baht note- they will use their vote to ensure that the real gladhander is not swept aside.

Blaze,

I am looking at the new set of teeth this constitution has. Once politicians start spending time in jail, the desire to be corrupt will have changed. If the incentive to become a politician is because of corruption then that now comes with a bigger price tag. Ultimately wanting to buy votes becomes less desirable and with greater risk to the potential politician. To the voters who would sell votes this will be somewhat transparent. Basic NLP applied here.

Looking at the egg shells American politicians must walk on, it is a far cry from Thailand. The difference is Thai politicians have yet to be in jail, where American politicians see it is a reality. Jail will be the catalyst for change in Thai politics as long as the verdict and sentence happens very quickly.

Assumption University ABAC Poll director Noppadol Kannikar said the poll conducted among 3,758 eligible voters aged above 18 in 14 provinces nationwide between October 15 -20 showed that almost 65 per cent of all respondents were willing to accept bribes in exchange for their votes in the December 23 election.

Only of 35.4 per cent of the respondents said they would not accept bribes or favours in exchange for their votes.

Also, the most worrisome result obtained from the survey was that 83 per cent of the respondents said they would not inform the Election Commission or concerned officials on any vote-buying practices even if they had evidence.

Two-thirds -- 66.7 per cent -- said vote-buying in Thailand is now reaching its most critical point ever.

Only 51.9 per cent of the respondents said they would consider both political party policies and the qualifications and personalities of the candidates before casting their ballots, while 28 per cent said they would give preferential attention to the candidates themselves and only 20.1 per cent indicated they would make their decision based on party policy platforms.

--TNA 2007-10-21

Everybody start bashing and pulling their worse sides out, however, is there anyone who does not believe in everything he reads?

A poll by ABAC? Worthwhile? :D

Only 3,748 respondents? :D There are 60 million people in Thailand, out of which at least 60% should be eligible voters. Simple maths (60,000,000x60% = 36,000,000) 3,748 is nearly only 0.01% of the eligible voters. Is this %age enough worthy of putting it on whole population? :o I think its no more than a joke. On the contrary, I do not deny that votes are not influenced. It is same as any other country, thats the reason most of us live here in Thailand. :D

Since when surveys are the true representatives. Haven't those who believe in this heard about sample-population relationtships and errors which are very common while considered sample as a representative of whole population?

Seems like we should learns more about at least two things

1. Statistics and sampling techniques

2. Do not believe in everything you read. :D

From your post we can safely assume that you haven't read any Statistics-classes.

If you had, you would know that given a correct sampling the number of people to poll doesn't have to be any higher than 1040 to still give an accurate distribution with acceptable error-deviance. So your reference to 0.1% of the population is of no relevance.

Edited by TAWP

I was told several decades ago that the people who assume anything from what I say, make an ass out of themselves and me. If you have a question about something said, ask the person involved to clarify the specfic question. This has been known to clear up many misunderstandings. This of course, assumes the people asking the question and those, making the statements, have a background and a knowledge of the subject matter.

And, the best "protest vote" is of course a vote for the PPP. But that's another story. :bah:

Why is that dumb?

The PPP purposely chose the man as closely linked with Thaksin as possible, This man is basically Thaksin without the economic prowess or desire for health care. Samak is a former Bangkok governor and like Chavalit, he sees his record of being utterly ineffective as a good resume. His very first speech as party leader was a perfect summary of his - and his party's - mentality:

[To corruption investigators] "You smack me and I'll smack you back" (Bangkok Post)

The PPP have stormed the north east of Thailand, shamelessly promoting themselves on their Thaksin connections. The PPP rallies saw supporters holding signs saying "Vote Samak, get Thaksin". Meanwhile the PPP speakers spent their time outlining not policies, not visions for Thailand, not assurances of clean behaviour but a litany of how great Thaksin was and how he was being bullied by the junta. That was it folks, that was all PPP had to offer.

Already internal splits have begun. PP member Chalerm Yoobamrung threatened to take his ball (GUNS) and go home if PPP did not allow his sons to run for election :

"If People Power does not select me and my two sons - Wan and Duang - as Bangkok candidates, I'll be ready to leave the party,The bottom line is that it must accept me and my sons as a package"

Yeh personaly i think if you believe that voting for PPP as a 'protest vote' against the Generals is a good thing then you must be prety dumb, but hey, we are all entitled to our opinions. :D

Just in case anyone's forgotten, this is the same character mentioned in the story below. Yes, it's over 4 years old but a leopard never changes his spots.l

""Murder Trial of Thailand's Corrupt Chalerm Yoobamrung Son Continues 30-4-2003

Two prosecution witnesses, fearing possibly fatal repercussions if they told the truth, now said they were uncertain about what happened at the night-club where Duangchalerm Yoobamrung, the son of an extremely corrupt and yet influential Thai politician, :D who killed a Crime Suppression Division detective in 2001. It was learned that murder suspect Duangchalerm did not have a licence to posess a firearm :o and his father MP Chalerm Yoobamrung did not report his pistol--the murder weapon--as missing, :D a prosecution witness told the court.""

(http://www.geocities.com/suan_nok/khao_thai-suannok.html)

Sort of reminds me of Vito, Michael & Sonny Corleone. Same only different. :D:bah:

Edited by ratcatcher

everytime I've gone to the ballot box here, my ballot has been secret. I'd love someone to offer me 700 baht (which I'd gladly take from all commers, in which case you couldn't argue I'd been influenced disproportionatly) and then happily vote for whoever I ###### well felt like.

If there were 5 or 6 parties running, that would be at least 3500 baht.

screw'em all.

And, the best "protest vote" is of course a vote for the PPP. But that's another story. :bah:

Why is that dumb?

Already internal splits have begun. PP member Chalerm Yoobamrung threatened to take his ball (GUNS) and go home if PPP did not allow his sons to run for election :

Yeh personaly i think if you believe that voting for PPP as a 'protest vote' against the Generals is a good thing then you must be prety dumb, but hey, we are all entitled to our opinions. :D

Just in case anyone's forgotten, this is the same character mentioned in the story below. Yes, it's over 4 years old but a leopard never changes his spots.l

Two prosecution witnesses, fearing possibly fatal repercussions if they told the truth, now said they were uncertain about what happened at the night-club where Duangchalerm Yoobamrung, the son of an extremely corrupt and yet influential Thai politician, :D who killed a Crime Suppression Division detective in 2001. It was learned that murder suspect Duangchalerm did not have a licence to posess a firearm :o and his father MP Chalerm Yoobamrung did not report his pistol--the murder weapon--as missing, :D a prosecution witness told the court.""

Sort of reminds me of Vito, Michael & Sonny Corleone. Same only different. :D:bah:

Yet you have people here saying to vote for these people would be a great 'protest vote'. Realy unsure if people are dumb or actualy just ignorant.

everytime I've gone to the ballot box here, my ballot has been secret. I'd love someone to offer me 700 baht (which I'd gladly take from all commers, in which case you couldn't argue I'd been influenced disproportionatly) and then happily vote for whoever I ###### well felt like.

screw'em all.

The problem, as we have gone over before, is that voting booths aren't always placed as they should, ballots are handed out by village elders and villagers instructed on what to vote (kinda hard to vote for another then unless they smuggle in another ballot and with the agility of a ninja switches it while the elders watch on) to make sure the village as a whole recieves a large kickback.

And at the same time some people feel offended when other countries and organizations offers to send election observers... :o

screw'em all.

The problem, as we have gone over before, is that voting booths aren't always placed as they should, ballots are handed out by village elders and villagers instructed on what to vote (kinda hard to vote for another then unless they smuggle in another ballot and with the agility of a ninja switches it while the elders watch on) to make sure the village as a whole recieves a large kickback.

And at the same time some people feel offended when other countries and organizations offers to send election observers... :o

Well said TAWP, this is sad but true.

Why is that dumb?

Yet you have people here saying to vote for these people would be a great 'protest vote'. Realy unsure if people are dumb or actualy just ignorant.

Protest votes (voting for one party simply to ensure that another party doesn't retain power- kind of like supporting a military coup for no other reason than to see the current government turfed out) are by nature dumb. The decision is defined not by preference or even consideration of what will replace the incumbents, but rather only by a desire to see them replaced. (Otherwise, it wouldn't be a protest vote- it would be a normal vote expressing preference for one party over another).

But protest votes are common in all democracies at all levels. Everywhere. Sometimes- with disasterous results.

I ask again, - because I honestly don't know- do you think it is possible that people who would normally never vote for PPP, (on the basis of personalities as well as policies offered), would vote for them this time just to lodge a protest vote against the military? Yes or no? Not would it be a mistake - but could it happen- and turn the tide in favor of PPP?

Edited by blaze

everytime I've gone to the ballot box here, my ballot has been secret.

Where do you vote?

In the UK, all ballot slips have a number and the number is written down against your name in a voting record book.

Edit:

Here's a link - http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/file...__N__S__W__.pdf

Edited by JetsetBkk

Perhaps many reactions to this survey are from a Western aspect. When mentioning it to my Thai wife she gave a different perspective. Whilst not condoning the practice her view was that for the average Thai they do it purely because they know that whoever is elected will have little or no interest in their well-being thereafter.

Perhaps many reactions to this survey are from a Western aspect. When mentioning it to my Thai wife she gave a different perspective. Whilst not condoning the practice her view was that for the average Thai they do it purely because they know that whoever is elected will have little or no interest in their well-being thereafter.

And in fact, if the same offer were made in the west at a time when party policies were pretty much indistinguishable (as was the case in Thailand prior to TRT's entering the arena), I think you could find at least half the population would be willing to sell their votes- for the right amount of course- the right amount being relative.

But in the west, if a party offers to benefit through policy, a segment of the population, and if that party had a track record of programs beneficial to that group, then the other partys' ability to buy votes (or have the purchase honered by the seller) would be much more difficult.

That's why it is surprising to me that some still believe that a party that funnelled funds almost directly into people's pockets (through so-called populist policies) would feel the need to pay for votes and that the only reason the NE still supports Thaksin is that they are paid to do so.

Edited by blaze

So a poor rural farmer selling is vote for Bt700. Lets look at that in context.

Average poor rural income perhaps Bt3000 to Bt4000 per month.

Average poor salary / income / benefits package in the UK perhaps GBP 1000 to GBP 1200

So they are selling their votes for a quasi GBP 250-300. If they offered that amount in the UK, they would get 99.99% of the vote.

When the poor are uneducated and see no way out, selling your vote is actually sensible. You can eat Bt700 but you cannot eat bogus promises by corrupt officials.

Enough said. Corrupt people deserve a corrupt government.

Now do the survey in other countries. :o

Other countries??? Im not sure of your suggestion - but if you are a ferang then obviously you must know that vote buying in the west is unheard of on any measureable scale. Only a backward race would sell out future generations of kin for a few beers!

A good point - some would say cynical but if being realistic is cynical then it gets my vote ( for 500 baht ofcourse)

In the west we are not so cynical because we believe that our vote counts - this of course is opptimistic and totaly delusional, but it keeps the voters happy and saves the ruling ellite a few bob.