Elder Care: Nurses/caretakers

BigBadSeattleLad

Because of some fairly advanced 'cognitive decline' consistent with AD, my 83-year old mother can no longer live alone. With great trepidation and considerable researching of the 'elder care' options stateside, I finally entrusted her into the care of what I believed to be the most suitable of those available (immediately prior to my last departure from the US). I was assured (and wanted to believe) that she was in safe hands and would be well looked after.

Five days after my return to Bkk, I received an email from this facilty informing me that "she had a fall". Calls to the hospital revealed that she'd broken her hip in the fall. Subsequently - as is typical with such trauma among the elderly - her mental state has worsened as well. As I'm all she's got nowadays, I really want her over here (Bangkok or environs) where I can at least be closer at hand and play a greater role in her general sense of well-being. The challenge, of course, is finding qualified, reliable nursing/caretaking help to look after her while I work. Thus far I've heard only of possible nurse-for-hire help through a Klong Toey-area hospital (apparently Thai speaking only) but hope for other options (i.e. experienced, private elder care nurses/caretakers with some english language abilities who may be seeking full-time employment).

Any suggestions (or personal experiences) from anyone on ways to find such 'qualified/reliable' help would be TREMENDOUSLY appreciated.

Because of some fairly advanced 'cognitive decline' consistent with AD, my 83-year old mother can no longer live alone. With great trepidation and considerable researching of the 'elder care' options stateside, I finally entrusted her into the care of what I believed to be the most suitable of those available (immediately prior to my last departure from the US). I was assured (and wanted to believe) that she was in safe hands and would be well looked after.

Five days after my return to Bkk, I received an email from this facilty informing me that "she had a fall". Calls to the hospital revealed that she'd broken her hip in the fall. Subsequently - as is typical with such trauma among the elderly - her mental state has worsened as well. As I'm all she's got nowadays, I really want her over here (Bangkok or environs) where I can at least be closer at hand and play a greater role in her general sense of well-being. The challenge, of course, is finding qualified, reliable nursing/caretaking help to look after her while I work. Thus far I've heard only of possible nurse-for-hire help through a Klong Toey-area hospital (apparently Thai speaking only) but hope for other options (i.e. experienced, private elder care nurses/caretakers with some english language abilities who may be seeking full-time employment).

Any suggestions (or personal experiences) from anyone on ways to find such 'qualified/reliable' help would be TREMENDOUSLY appreciated.

I feel so sorry for you and your Mum. I know of 4 elderly farangs living in Thailand who needed/need help with everything. One 97 year old broke hip and after repair was looked after at home by his companion and a Thai woman; another is probably 80 +, in a wheelchair, and is looked after by a Thai woman; the other is 88 and is looked after my his servants - a married couple - and a nurse from local hospital who comes in every second day. The 4th has had a stroke and is cared for by 2 Thai ladies. What I am saying is that all these elderly farangs were/are being very well looked after by Thais who I think have no previous nursing experience.

Do you have a servant who can perhaps recommend another family member(s) or friend(s)?

Hi Tammi,

I appreciate your suggestions and hope you'll excuse my slow response (just returned to Seattle after LONG flight and LONG catch-up sleep). I don't currently employ any maid staff in Bkk as I've just kept an apartment the past few years and have gotten by with the upkeep on my own. I WILL however consider regular housecare-type staff for the care of my mother if they indicate that they may be able and willing to take on such a burden. I just wish candidates for such work were more readiy available...

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

I am a registered nurse here in Australia...and my partner is Thai. I am currently expolring ways where I can move to Thailand and continue to work in the healthcare industry. As I dont speak Thai, working in a hospital setting in BKK is near impossible so I need to look at alternative ideas...one being a nurse/carer for the aged or sick westerner.

I currently work in remote and rural hospitals in the outback of Australia. A nurse in these hospitals does everything. We do Paramedic call outs, all emergency patients and aged care. As some of these towns dont have a Doctor, our patients rely on the nursing staff to assess all illnesses and trauma, then the ongoing care for that patient. We are trained to manage all forms of trauma and illness and have Paramedic training and Pharmacolgy training.

Prior to working in these remote locations, I spent 2.5 years in aged care...in high care, low care and Psychogeriatrics. As a nurse/carer in that setting most of the work involved full care for our residents, ie; all hygiene, assisting with feeds, aiding with mobilising the resident, medications and liasing with famiy members.

I dont know by me writing to you at the moment will assist you in any way, but maybe there are some western nurses in BKK that can help. I think that a private nurse/carer is is a sensible option...well I guess I would say that...after all I am a nurse who will be looking for work there soon.

I do hope that you have success in finding help very soon. Also, I will be in BKK from Nov 27 for 3 weeks...so if you are there maybe we can have a chat.

All the best and kind regards,

Glen

Looks like that in a week the answer to his prayers may be landing on his door-step , hire her on the spot , lock all the doors on the outside and tell her "THIS IS YOUR NEW HOME ".

Just joshing about locking the doors , but if i were in his shoes i would definately make a run at hiring her .