Digital Camera Repair Shop

Ground Engineer

Got pushed in the swimming pool at a party with my Cannon Ixus 70 digital camera in my pocket. Ive taken it to a repair shop in the basement of Tucom. They say the Printed Circuit Board and LCD screen need replacing and have quoted me 3800 Bhat which is about half the cost of the camera.

A few questions if anyone knows:

Is 3800 Bhat a reasonable price?

Would the camera be as good as new with the repairs done?

Has anyone used this repair shop before?

Are there any other repar shops around?

Cheers.

My missus broke the screen in her cheap Canon. On the 5th floor of Tukcom they wanted approximately Bt2500 or so to send it to Bangkok and replace the screen. No guarantees over price. As the camera was only about $100 to buy, we decided not to bother.

I now have a Canon IXUS 40 which is about 4 years old and has a problem in one corner of the screen but that will never get repaired either.

I think at this level, cameras are near disposable. I for sure would not spend 70% of the new cost on repairs. Remember we write off cars when it hits 50% or something.

If you take it to an outlet such as Big Camera, they will send it to Canon in Bangkok and they will give you a quote to fix it. Takes a while, but I would not trust someone other than a manufacturer to fix a camera.

I agree with Torrenova; throw it back in the pool and get a new one!

Got pushed in the swimming pool at a party with my Cannon Ixus 70 digital camera in my pocket. Ive taken it to a repair shop in the basement of Tucom. They say the Printed Circuit Board and LCD screen need replacing and have quoted me 3800 Bhat which is about half the cost of the camera.

Cheers.

You've done a considerable amount of damage to your camera. I would consider that a reasonable repair cost.

Would the camera be as good as new with the repairs done?

Has anyone used this repair shop before?

Are there any other repar shops around?

Cheers.

i did the same, was never worth doing, cameras are coming down in price, i was looking at a very nice sony cybershot for 5600, id buy a new one if it happened again,.

i did the same, was never worth doing, cameras are coming down in price, i was looking at a very nice sony cybershot for 5600, id buy a new one if it happened again,.

I don't think they're coming down in price, you're just getting newer technology for a similar price. The good brands are still relatively expensive.

If you can repair your Canon Ixus 70 camera for 3,800 that's a big saving over buying a new one and throwing it away. A few months ago I bought a Canon Ixus 75 at Big Camera for 13,900 baht, so they're not giving them away just yet.

At the time I had to make a decision as to whether I would get an older model (Canon Ixus i repaired or buy new. That camera was already 3 years old so the decision was easier. In your case you have a later model.

I would forget about the repair shop in Tukcom and take it to a Big Camera shop. They will charge you only 200 baht to send it to the Canon Service Center in Bangkok to find out how much it will cost to repair. If you decide not to, it's only cost you 200 baht.

Edited by tropo

I don't think they're coming down in price, you're just getting newer technology for a similar price. The good brands are still relatively expensive.

If you can repair your Canon Ixus 70 camera for 3,800 that's a big saving over buying a new one and throwing it away. A few months ago I bought a Canon Ixus 75 at Big Camera for 13,900 baht, so they're not giving them away just yet.

At the time I had to make a decision as to whether I would get an older model (Canon Ixus i repaired or buy new. That camera was already 3 years old so the decision was easier. In your case you have a later model.

I would forget about the repair shop in Tukcom and take it to a Big Camera shop. They will charge you only 200 baht to send it to the Canon Service Center in Bangkok to find out how much it will cost to repair. If you decide not to, it's only cost you 200 baht.

Cheers tropo, wheres the big camera shop?

Big Camera are in most of the big malls. Big C Festival, just below the cinema. Royal Garden just down from the music shop on the second floor. Carrefore, opposite the supermarket.

The Big C Festival branch seems to be the most professional.

The repair shop in the basement of Tukcom centre is a branch of the Amorn Electronic Service Centre - the main branch is in Bangkok's China Town at the Old Siam Plaza. I wouldn't take a camera to be repaired anywhere else than the Thailand Head Office of the Manufacturer as suggested by earlier posters. Amorn however strikes me as great at repairing electronic equipment - a repair to a malfunctioning dvd player by that company cost me a mere five hundred baht.

When I had a problem with my old Canon G1 digital, I was told to take it to the Canon Repair Service Center located, I believe at the front on the 3rd floor at TUKCOM in Sri Racha. I took my camera there, filled out the form describing the problem and received a receipt from the lady. She said that it would be sent to Bangkok, no charge for transportation or estimate of repair. I received a call from the technician a week or so later. Luckily, there was only a minor battery connection problem with my camera and it was fixed quite easily. The camera was sent back to TUKCOM, Sri Racha and I was called when it arrived to come and pick it up. My camera was fixed for no charge even though it is an old camera years out of warranty. I would recommend you to give them a try. Worse case, the estimate of repair will be more than you wish to pay and you will get your camera back at no charge.

PattayaDavid