Prepaid Debit Cards

blakestree

I've heard talk about getting prepaid debit cards, and I can't for the life of me find where to obtain one. Does anyone know where? Plus, is there a bank that will let me get an account in Bangkok without a work permit? I had people tell me that it is possible, but I've been told to every bank I've been into that I can't.

To the best of my knowledge, you can't get an account without a WP. Where I work, we have an arrangement with one of the banks that lets employees open a bank account without a WP, but we have to write a letter on their behalf and agree to make sure they get a copy of the WP as soon as it's completed. This arrangement is based on the fact that one of our admin people knows the manager of the bank.

Kasikorn Bank seem to be the easiest to deal with nowadays, :o used to be SCB.

I have seven accounts with four different local banks, and have never had a WP.

I also have credit cards.

Just DONT walk in looking like you slept on the streets last night, or you can forget it.

Also, you should be prepared to open an account with a reasonable amount, depositing

a thousand Baht for a new account may be acceptable for a local person but as a Farang

you will again get the bums rush.

Prepaid debit card ... what's that ?, do you simply mean a 'debit card', if so then it will come

as part of a passbook savings account for a fee of 200-300 Baht for the card.

Naka.

Edited by naka

7/11 ring any bells?

10000b is the maximum you can pre load ,handy to have mind you if you dont have a atm ,also has a visa card on it .

I'm trying to a card with a higher load limit as well as one that can work thru paypal or purchasing on the internet. Do local Thai banks not offer them? I've tried a few, and even though UOB claims they have Prepaid cards, when I went in to the branch or called the customer service #, they didn't know what I was talking about. And believe me, I've tried to do searches on google, and the only ones I've been able to locate of this type are overseas. Would it help if I went into a branch with someone who spoke Thai?

Hi, The first bank I walked into (SCB) let me open an account, I don't know if it was because I was with my TGF or not. deposited about 100'000bt., but I don't think they asked the amount before agreeing. This was about 9 months ago, so don't know how things are now. good luck.

I've heard talk about getting prepaid debit cards, and I can't for the life of me find where to obtain one. Does anyone know where? Plus, is there a bank that will let me get an account in Bangkok without a work permit? I had people tell me that it is possible, but I've been told to every bank I've been into that I can't.

Bangkok Bank on Silom, shouldnt be a problem

You can get a bank account even without a non immigrant visa though it is less common than say 5 years ago. I've never seen any signage asking for a WP.

Siam Commercial and Kaisikorn (get a web credit card as well here) are the two main ones to get. Bangkok Bank lags behind I believe, though they will give you a debit card with Visa on it. You can use that internationally as with the other two and the balance available is linked to your account.

If you are giving it to someone else, Siam is the way forward. Get 2 accounts, 2 ATM cards on the account you want the other person to have and you're set. You can transfer money via the web, instantly, to that account and keep a very careful check on spending.

The kasikorn account I opened only to get a "web card" which is a virtual debit card accepted by paypal.

Shame they don't work with any of the local Airlines.. :o

Yes they do but it took some work to get them to do it. I'll go through it.

You have to go into the Kaisikorn secure area and to your address details. What will have happened is that the person who opened your account will have translated your english into some version of Thai. You need to change this to a simplified version of your address which you write down or print out. save and exit. Sorry, change any other Thai script and check your name etc.

Now you have an address which you can use so the computer can verify you.

Next step, go to Verify With Visa. can't remember this but it was straightforward after changing my address. takes a few minutes. Do it from the Kaisikorn website.

Now you can go online and buy things with your webcard. how do I know ? because I was bashing my head against a brick wall as to why this would not work and then worked out the mismatch between the addresses. Same thing happens with the other banks as well. The reason some guys can use their bangkok bank and Siam cards is because their address is in English.

Hope this helps.

The K-bank web card is great, but it doesn't work with Thai Airways and most other airlines, because you need to produce the real card at check-in. The web card is a virtual card, no plastic, and is not accepted by airlines.

Works for most other things on the web though.

But the airline booking system does not know it is an e-card. It has the CCV number and everything. Verified by Visa, I cannot see why Thai Airways would not let you use it to buy a ticket (they probably farm out visa payments anyway) ? Upon check in, you could show your web card print out with number, name, CCV etc.

I still think the problem will be with the non verification and the address issues. I will stand corrected but at the moment, have no need to buy a Thai airways ticket (always overpriced for where I want to fly !)

Bangkok Bank have let me set up 3 separate banks accounts with visa debit cards and I also have Gold Visa credit card with Bangkok bank. I have done this only on a 30 day entry.

The one thing they wouldn't let me do is use their internet banking services, this is probably because the access is granted elsewhere other than the bank branch you attend, my bank manager even came to our previous Tambon baan.

The kasikorn account I opened only to get a "web card" which is a virtual debit card accepted by paypal.

Shame they don't work with any of the local Airlines.. :o

Yes they do but it took some work to get them to do it. I'll go through it.

You have to go into the Kaisikorn secure area and to your address details. What will have happened is that the person who opened your account will have translated your english into some version of Thai. You need to change this to a simplified version of your address which you write down or print out. save and exit. Sorry, change any other Thai script and check your name etc.

Now you have an address which you can use so the computer can verify you.

Next step, go to Verify With Visa. can't remember this but it was straightforward after changing my address. takes a few minutes. Do it from the Kaisikorn website.

Now you can go online and buy things with your webcard. how do I know ? because I was bashing my head against a brick wall as to why this would not work and then worked out the mismatch between the addresses. Same thing happens with the other banks as well. The reason some guys can use their bangkok bank and Siam cards is because their address is in English.

Hope this helps.

I agree with you.

Naka.

7/11 ring any bells?

10000b is the maximum you can pre load ,handy to have mind you if you dont have a atm ,also has a visa card on it .

I'm trying to a card with a higher load limit as well as one that can work thru paypal or purchasing on the internet. Do local Thai banks not offer them? I've tried a few, and even though UOB claims they have Prepaid cards, when I went in to the branch or called the customer service #, they didn't know what I was talking about. And believe me, I've tried to do searches on google, and the only ones I've been able to locate of this type are overseas. Would it help if I went into a branch with someone who spoke Thai?

You could have a US bank account right here from Thailand. I use mine all the time and they work great. It accepts many forms of deposit and never once have I had a problem. Contact me by email or PM and I will point you in the right direction. I bought mine here in Bangkok and I'm very happy.