Seeking Expat Advice/contacts In Bangkok...buy You A Drink/coffee?

kenzob

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum site. I have decided that I want to relocate from California to Thailand, preferably Bkk. I was recently in Bkk for a week, so I am a little familiar with the city. There is a possibility that I will be visiting again in the next month, or so and would very much like to find some expat contacts who wouldn't mind if I gave them a quick call while I'm in town.

I thought if I could find some Americans that have already gone through the relocation process I might be able to ask their advice and pick their brains a bit. I do have some friends in Bkk, but they are Thai and are not familiar with the relocation process.

I'm currently traveling internationally full-time for work as Field Service Engineer in the semiconductor industry. I'm looking for work in Bkk, but am not limiting myself to the semiconductor industry, or even the tech sector for that matter. I'm even considering the possibility of finding a teaching position for 6 months to a year. Maybe time for a little change...

If anyone who has gone through this would be gracious enough to exchange contact info with me I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm aware that there is oodles of information online, but I think we all know speaking directly to someone who has gone through it all once before is sometimes more helpful. I could offer to buy you a drink/coffee for a moment of your time.

Thanks, and hope to hear from some of you.

Kenzo

28 y/o, Male

-Santa Clara, CA (San Francisco, Bay Area)

You'll find plenty of advice here from those who've gone before. Experience is the thing you get right after you needed it ...

Ok, so you spent a week in Bangkok and now you want to relocate here. Sounds like a plan.

A few things to think about:

* Be honest about what you're running away from. You might bring it with you.

* You've got lots of cash from that high tech job. But how long will it last? Looked into Thai salaries at all?

* Have an idea of what sort of visa you'll need to stay here? Read about how the long term tourists are doing it (or rather not doing it).

* A change is as good as a holiday. Maybe you just need a holiday.

* Don't burn all your bridges. You might need to go back.

* Be careful what you wish for. You might get it.

Kruang,

Points taken. I assure you this decision to relocate to Thailand (Bkk) is not based on a whim. I spent over 3 weeks total in Thailand, one week in Bkk. I've been traveling all over asia pretty much full-time for work over the past two years. I've been seriously considering relocating to Asia. First was Japan until I spent time in Thailand. I plan to revisit Thailand, probably more than once, before I make the move.

Thanks for the sound advice.

Kenzo

You'll find plenty of advice here from those who've gone before. Experience is the thing you get right after you needed it ...

Ok, so you spent a week in Bangkok and now you want to relocate here. Sounds like a plan.

A few things to think about:

* Be honest about what you're running away from. You might bring it with you.

* You've got lots of cash from that high tech job. But how long will it last? Looked into Thai salaries at all?

* Have an idea of what sort of visa you'll need to stay here? Read about how the long term tourists are doing it (or rather not doing it).

* A change is as good as a holiday. Maybe you just need a holiday.

* Don't burn all your bridges. You might need to go back.

* Be careful what you wish for. You might get it.

Rather than a job change have you ever thought of talking to your current company about being based in Bangkok. It could be done as full time employee or on contract basis. I have been doing just that for the last several years for California company.

Make sure you look at visa options before you decide anything.

Yes, I have and I do plan on approaching them with this idea. Unfortunately it seems that my current management doesn't seem to friendly to the idea from what I've heard of past experiences with others. I realize the cost of relocating someone can be expensive, and they'd probably never go for paying me the same wage, but I'd imagine with all the traveling I do from the US to Asia for work it'd actually be beneficial and potentially cost saving for them. If relocation is out of the question I will fall back on the contracting idea. If that still doesn't work I'll pleasantly bid them a good day and find new employment in Bkk.

Rather than a job change have you ever thought of talking to your current company about being based in Bangkok. It could be done as full time employee or on contract basis. I have been doing just that for the last several years for California company.

Make sure you look at visa options before you decide anything.

The California Taliban have ruined the place.

You have to walk on eggshells and be carefull not to say somthing that will offend.....sombody.

Can't blame the guy for wanting to leave.

u have the California Taliban over there, here you have the THAILIBAN (former a civil THAILIBAN, now a military THAILIBAN organization) with the strong wish to humiliate expats. is it any better ?

Edited by THAILIBAN

Kenzo,

You'll hear alot of advice here, and alot of people telling you not to do it. I moved here 8 years ago from CA and don't regret that decision. Best thing I ever did for myself. As long as you are willing to adapt to the Thai way, you'll do just fine.

If you insist on living like you did as a high paid engineer from the states, you might have issues. On the other hand, if you're willing to become frugal, you'll do just fine. Some things to consider:

Bring with you at least $60k USD. That's 2 million baht at the current exchange rate. You'll need that much for the 2 years it will take you to get settled. (You'll spend way too much at the beginning until you learn the value of money)

If you want to be happy here, you need the ability and the experience of living like a Thai. There might come a time when your finances start to head south, and you need to know that you won't die for lack of a baht. I recommend 6 months on a budget of no more than 20,000 baht. Once you do it and realize it doesn't kill you, you'll be better prepared for hardship.

Visa status is a big problem. You'll need to resolve that within 6 months, or else accept living half time in Thailand and halftime somewhere like Cambodia. Easiest way to do that is get a job. Teaching is an obvious choice.

Don't expect employment in the high tech sector. They don't need it over here. Everyone who needs any skill you posses already has it from the parent company overseas. There is most likely a global recession coming on, and employment will be going down, not up.

Don't pay the girls anything. Tell them you have no money and stick to that story. 99 out of 100 will walk away from you at that point. Let 'em go. Understand that real friends are hard to come by over here, but then again, it's not easy in the states either. Never try and buy a friendship, no matter how lonely you may feel. Try and find people who share your values though, it will make things easier.

The first 6 months will be easy. The next 6, depressing. Expect it. If you're still here after 2 years you will have found a new home.

I would recommend preparing for an income producing activity that you can do from home if you don't want to go the teaching route. Example, certified Google e-marketing specilists are highly in demand right now, and any highly technical person can do this, even if they don't particularly enjoy it. It is mostly about noticing patterns and relationships between words and products, and pulling information from different sources. Engineers are particularly good at this.

Having said all of this, Thailand is much better prepared to handle the coming economic storm than the U.S., so while you might be living more frugally here, it will be much less stressful than what you might have to endure in the states. Oil and energy depletion are going to seriously affect the US, which is more highly dependent on cheap fossil fuels than any other country in the world.

BTW, I disagree with many of the posters here. My attitude is go ahead and burn your bridges if you want to. It will make you very motivated to stay. The U.S. doesn't have much worth going back for anyway. Anything to push you through the low period after the initial exuberance has worn off is important.

Let us know what you decide to do.

P.S. Remember to bring a copy of your transcripts and and any diplomas from university when you come. You'll need them to apply for any job, and it's one less headache you'll have once you get here.

All these replies make me laugh... you need xxx amount, struggle for a few months, need to live like a Thai, don't do it, same reason people commit suicide - what loosers! I bet their not even living in Thailand or so dumb that they got mugged off left right and center.

If your old enough to work, your old enough to just come on over here and learn for yourself! Make sure you have enough money for a couple of weeks and a return airfare, buy the bangkok post every day and everything will sort it self out :o

If I had read the above before I made the decision to move out here, it would have put me right off. Having moved over here on my own with no friends/family/support/job at 20, you can do it too :D

Edited by listenup

gregb,

Thanks for responding with all the advice and what I might expect with moving to Bkk.

Living frugally shouldn't be too much of a problem for me. I've never been a big spender and prefer to invest my hard-earned money. If I can find a job I figure my income will offset all, or most of my not-so-outrageous living expenses. Any other expenses can come out of savings until I'm better settled. Financially I think I'm prepared.

I think my focus now is securing employment and understanding my visa options. I'm working on both of these since they are related.

I'm aware of the ladies and though they are, for the most part, adorable I'm not stupid either.

Thanks again,

Kenzo

Kenzo,

You'll hear alot of advice here, and alot of people telling you not to do it. I moved here 8 years ago from CA and don't regret that decision. Best thing I ever did for myself. As long as you are willing to adapt to the Thai way, you'll do just fine.

If you insist on living like you did as a high paid engineer from the states, you might have issues. On the other hand, if you're willing to become frugal, you'll do just fine. Some things to consider:

Bring with you at least $60k USD. That's 2 million baht at the current exchange rate. You'll need that much for the 2 years it will take you to get settled. (You'll spend way too much at the beginning until you learn the value of money)

If you want to be happy here, you need the ability and the experience of living like a Thai. There might come a time when your finances start to head south, and you need to know that you won't die for lack of a baht. I recommend 6 months on a budget of no more than 20,000 baht. Once you do it and realize it doesn't kill you, you'll be better prepared for hardship.

Visa status is a big problem. You'll need to resolve that within 6 months, or else accept living half time in Thailand and halftime somewhere like Cambodia. Easiest way to do that is get a job. Teaching is an obvious choice.

Don't expect employment in the high tech sector. They don't need it over here. Everyone who needs any skill you posses already has it from the parent company overseas. There is most likely a global recession coming on, and employment will be going down, not up.

Don't pay the girls anything. Tell them you have no money and stick to that story. 99 out of 100 will walk away from you at that point. Let 'em go. Understand that real friends are hard to come by over here, but then again, it's not easy in the states either. Never try and buy a friendship, no matter how lonely you may feel. Try and find people who share your values though, it will make things easier.

The first 6 months will be easy. The next 6, depressing. Expect it. If you're still here after 2 years you will have found a new home.

I would recommend preparing for an income producing activity that you can do from home if you don't want to go the teaching route. Example, certified Google e-marketing specilists are highly in demand right now, and any highly technical person can do this, even if they don't particularly enjoy it. It is mostly about noticing patterns and relationships between words and products, and pulling information from different sources. Engineers are particularly good at this.

Having said all of this, Thailand is much better prepared to handle the coming economic storm than the U.S., so while you might be living more frugally here, it will be much less stressful than what you might have to endure in the states. Oil and energy depletion are going to seriously affect the US, which is more highly dependent on cheap fossil fuels than any other country in the world.

BTW, I disagree with many of the posters here. My attitude is go ahead and burn your bridges if you want to. It will make you very motivated to stay. The U.S. doesn't have much worth going back for anyway. Anything to push you through the low period after the initial exuberance has worn off is important.

Let us know what you decide to do.

P.S. Remember to bring a copy of your transcripts and and any diplomas from university when you come. You'll need them to apply for any job, and it's one less headache you'll have once you get here.

gregb i think the majority of your post is well thought out and infomative and obviously comes from someone who has relocated here

however i have to disagree that the op will need to bring 2 million baht with him to help him through the first 2 years

that works out to having 83000 baht a month to live on, if that's your idea of living frugally then i would hate to think how much it would cost for you to live the high life

i spend well less than half of that every month and like to feel i live quite comfortably here

I think your biggest obstacle will be finding a job. So many foreigners want to live in Thailand that there is incredible competition for any decent paying expat position.

You're still young so if it doesn't work out it will have been an interesting adventure so if you're this is what you want and are ready to take some risk I'd say go for it. Just make sure you bring enough money to survive a few months, have a plane ticket home and good medical insurance.

Your best bet for finding a job here is to take some English teaching course back home and get a certificate.

Edited by Orion76

I enjoyed reading this thread so far. As an American who made the same move about one year ago, let me offer a couple comments on my recent experience. First, I am much older (50 yo) than the OP, the benefit is that I have already accrued enough of a stash to take care of my old age (if I am lucky enough to live to 80-90 or so). That is an important consideration for a young man, he should be thinking not just about a living wage for today, but able to sock away significant assets for the future when he cannot work. I keep careful track of where my money goes, and living in Bangkok, it can go fast. I don't make huge efforts to pinch pennies, but I find that after the first few high expense startup months, my monthly run rate is about 50-60 K baht. I eat out every meal, have a nice small apartment, and enjoy a night out. I know some farang say they can live on 20K in Bangkok, I think I could, but I sure wouldn't want to....

My company wanted me to work remotely from Thailand, which would have been the sweet situation, but I was too burned out and wanted a change. I studied Thai and relaxed for about six months, then easily got a job teaching English at an international school. The only downside is that my salary of 40K doesn't cover my current expenses. No problem for me now, but long term not a good situation. I am currently working on upgrading my teaching credentials and will be looking at significant salary increases next school year (50-60K). I could make that now, if I wanted to do a lot of private lessons, but I don't. I really enjoy teaching (some people don't), I like and respect the kids I work with, and some days they really make everything worth while.

Some days, I wish that I had made the move when I was 30, other days I am glad that I have big savings in the bank from my work in Farang land. The OP seems like a thoughtful guy, and I think he will do OK. Like another poster said, "Don't burn bridges back home".