Extending Insurance When In Los?

Super Hans

I took out backpacker type insurance before I left the UK, which is due to expire soon. I've decided to extend my stay here and want to purchase cover for the next 6 months, but don't seem to be able to as it is a requirement of UK based insurers that applicants must be resident in the UK for at least 6 of the past 12 months, which I haven't been.

Is it easier to just buy basic travel/health insurance from a Thai insurer? If so, how do you do this?

I took out backpacker type insurance before I left the UK, which is due to expire soon. I've decided to extend my stay here and want to purchase cover for the next 6 months, but don't seem to be able to as it is a requirement of UK based insurers that applicants must be resident in the UK for at least 6 of the past 12 months, which I haven't been.

Is it easier to just buy basic travel/health insurance from a Thai insurer? If so, how do you do this?

Please visit the Thai Visa insurance site : http://insurance.thaivisa.com/ where you will find the information and quotation form.

The OP is aware of the 'Terms of Conditions' relating to his home based insurance. There are surely similar terms and conditions attached to the ThaiVisa insurance, but these are not accessible from the website.

It might be an idea to add these to the Insurance Website so that prosepctive customers can assess what is being offered before entering into a purchase.

I'd be very surprised if insurnace is offered for people who do not meet some degree of 'Residence' in Thailand - ie an valid non resident visa.

The OP may still be able to extend his insurance if it is still valid right now. Travelling overseas on an extended vaction does not necessarily negate residency - In insurance terms usually defined as the place where you hold residence, are registered with a local doctor and have a home (even a parent's home).

There may however be restrictions on how long you can stay in one place.

The OP is aware of the 'Terms of Conditions' relating to his home based insurance. There are surely similar terms and conditions attached to the ThaiVisa insurance, but these are not accessible from the website.

It might be an idea to add these to the Insurance Website so that prosepctive customers can assess what is being offered before entering into a purchase.

I'd be very surprised if insurnace is offered for people who do not meet some degree of 'Residence' in Thailand - ie an valid non resident visa.

The OP may still be able to extend his insurance if it is still valid right now. Travelling overseas on an extended vaction does not necessarily negate residency - In insurance terms usually defined as the place where you hold residence, are registered with a local doctor and have a home (even a parent's home).

There may however be restrictions on how long you can stay in one place.

What you say is corrected - to a limited degree. The original poster wanted insurance for 6 months and at least one insurance company in Thailand markets health insurance just for the long term (6 month) holiday maker.

• 2 weeks later...