Today I Met Mrs Pattaya

astromash

Pattaya is not a family name. It wasn't named after a family.

No one's said Pattaya was named after the family.

Maybe it's the other way round?

In the west, many people historically were named after places.

I believe it wasn't so long ago that the King insisted that Thai families take a family name - so assuming that families had to think of a name it isn't beyond possibility that someone actually named themselves after a town.

My surname of course was just a nickname at the time surnames were adopted in the west.

Mr. Brown

As a side note, a citizen of any country can join and become a member of the US military, as long as they pass the background checks and meet the requirements for fitness, etc. US citizenship is not required. I've met quite a few Canadians, Swedes, Germans, Filipinos, Thais, even Brits who served in the US armed forces....

You have to be legally resident in the US though. You cannot have any tourist type from another country saying...." I know ! I,ll join the military! "

It may no longer be the case, but at one time Filipinos could join the US Navy without ever having lived in the USA.

I dont recall seeing any young ladies in Thappaya in 1962 only a few old codgers fishing :D the first young ladies appeared with a mamasan from Ubon, in early 1963 shortly after we had estabelished a permanent R&R basha there :o Nignoy

Wow, you were visiting Pattaya from 1962 onwards? Would love to read your recollections of the place. Did a quick search on your handle but couldn't see any posts on this topic.

Operation Crown had an R&R tent on the beach there from early 63, If you check I have lots of blackand whites published here in the forum from the early 60,s :D Nignoy

Check out the cover and the story in the latest new look Pattaya Property and lifestyle guide and you may know who I'm referring to, you may know the fella who likes to dress up as a swordsman in his fencing gear and also a boxer who's been battered around the ring several times.

Elton John?

Cheers

LOVE IT ! Ere ,is it true hes re releasing, "i wont let your son go down on me ! " :o

Pattaya is not a family name. It wasn't named after a family.

No one's said Pattaya was named after the family.

Maybe it's the other way round?

In the west, many people historically were named after places.

I believe it wasn't so long ago that the King insisted that Thai families take a family name - so assuming that families had to think of a name it isn't beyond possibility that someone actually named themselves after a town.

My surname of course was just a nickname at the time surnames were adopted in the west.

Mr. Brown

You're not far wrong. Usually it was the Thai equivilent of titled Lords, Ladies, Viscounts and Countesses who took up the name of a city such as Ayudyha, Songla and Sukothai (Mrs. Buriram doesn't have much of a ring to it does it?). Your average Thai would not necessarily take up the name of a city as a surname and it certainly wouldn't be Mrs. Pattaya as the city was only named that recently, formerly known as Thappaya so there may be a Lord and Lady Thappaya somewhere in Thailand, I wouldn't bet against that for sure.

Patpong was named after old mr Patpong, A real cute and nice guy.

Hmm so.....Khun Cowboy must have been another soi owner then--- :o

Trink reckons he named Soi Cowboy.

I used to work for K. Patpong.

Cheers

I remember Trink writing that - it was after "Cowboy" of the Loretta Bar though was it not?

Black Vietnam Vet with daughter called Loretta?

When I arrived here in 1980 there was a restaurant run by a black guy and his wife known as Mitch and Nam's. Maybe a different guy, or the same guy? Believe he was an ex-GI.

Astromash, if you believe her story, you should enrol as a space cadet. :o . Keep of the loopy juice.

I'm not saying I believe it. When I first posted I wasn't even sure about the military parts of her story - but according to subsequent posts here those parts could be true.

So what part(s) don't you believe?

That sixty years ago there was basically one family in the area and they had Pattaya/Thappaya/Thappraya as part of their family name?

Astromash, if you believe her story, you should enrol as a space cadet. :o . Keep of the loopy juice.

I'm not saying I believe it. When I first posted I wasn't even sure about the military parts of her story - but according to subsequent posts here those parts could be true.

That sixty years ago there was basically one family in the area and they had Pattaya/Thappaya/Thappraya as part of their family name?

Astromash, you could be right after all! Having just read this weeks Pattaya People I see an article on page 11 relating to a burglary in Naklua. It seems 6 rooms were ransacked, but the one which was most 'done over' belongs to Mr Pattaya Songrak aged 38! Perhaps this lady you met on a songtaew meant that her first name was Pattaya, which would explain it. Thais often refer to some one as Mr. Peter, Mr. Michael or Mrs Ann. They use the Christian name rather that the surname. Even so does anyone actually know when Thrappaya was renamed Pattaya?

Astromash, you could be right after all! Having just read this weeks Pattaya People I see an article on page 11 relating to a burglary in Naklua. It seems 6 rooms were ransacked, but the one which was most 'done over' belongs to Mr Pattaya Songrak aged 38! Perhaps this lady you met on a songtaew meant that her first name was Pattaya, which would explain it. Thais often refer to some one as Mr. Peter, Mr. Michael or Mrs Ann. They use the Christian name rather that the surname. Even so does anyone actually know when Thrappaya was renamed Pattaya?

History of Pattaya

Until the late 1950’s Pattaya was a small fishing village like many others in the Gulf of Bangkok. Called Pad Tha Ya, which means the ‘wind blows from the southwest to the north-east at the beginning of the rainy season’, the name eventually became Pattaya.

Pattaya was a small fishing town before the tourists arrived Before 1956 Pad Tha Ya was just a sub-district of Chonburi and did not even have the status of a municipality. This covered only the Naklua area, which was extended to South Pattaya in 1964. In about 1959 Pattaya started to expand into a resort for visiting American GIs from a base in Nakhon Ratchasima with plenty of money to spend. US navy men from nearby Sattahip, particularly during the Vietnam war, enabled great expansion of facilities available to visiting forces by local entrepreneurs, and Pattaya became an official centre of ‘Rest and Relaxation’ for American troops. They were flown into U-Tapao airport, which was built for American use at the time, and hotel accommodation, shops, bars and services in Pattaya grew rapidly due to the increasing demand.

Many Thais, particularly from Bangkok, were also regular visitors for the weekend, many renting or buying small bungalows and beach huts in the area. From that point on, Pattaya grew very quickly as a holiday destination for both Thais and foreigners, and in 1978 the national government granted it city status to reflect this. ‘Pattaya City’ came into being on 29th November 1978, and this anniversary is celebrated every year.

The 1980s and 90s were also a boom time for Pattaya with a large influx of tourists from European countries, particularly in their winter. Later, as well heeled visitors moved south to the Andaman coast and Samui, a new generation of Russian, Eastern European and Arab nationals began arriving. The city’s administration has grown to cater for the increasing size and demands of Thailand’s biggest resort town, which now receives several million visitors every year, both Thai and foreign.

The city’s infrastructure has also grown to keep pace with increasing development, with construction of many condos in both Naklua and Jomtien, as well as “in-filling” of any available open space in Central and South Pattaya, making resources such as water scarce in the dry season. This has necessitated large public and private long term investment in major projects. The new Bangkok airport at Suvarnabhumi, which opens in the summer of 2006, will mean that Pattaya is only about an hour away on the new road which is under construction. This has brought another spate of development to Pattaya to meet what are seen to be the increasing needs of visitors.

The arrival of American GIs on R&R from Vietnam in the '60s changed Pattaya Due to its proximity to Bangkok, and partly as a legacy of the GI R&R activities during the Vietnam war, Pattaya developed a reputation as a party city, a badge it still honourably holds today. With this came an influx of girls from the poor Isaan region of Northeastern Thailand who supplied the ever-growing sex trade, which is very much part of the city. However, Pattaya also has its serious side and provides for a growing community of foreigners employed in the burgeoning eastern seaboard industries of the area. An estimated 12,000 people from all parts of the world live permanently in Pattaya, supporting a large establishment of restaurants, bars, clubs, societies and services set up specifically to support them. This number is said to swell considerably with the part-time residents who spent part of their year here. This is evident in the extraordinary boom in construction and property prices that the city has recently witnessed. More on Pattaya for ex-pats.

Pattaya is a modern city and you won’t find any old buildings, simply because there aren’t any, although the Buddhist Temples (wats) have all the character and splendour of older buildings. This resort city has grown apace with the influx of visitors, and will no doubt continue to do so.

History of Pattaya

Until the late 1950's Pattaya was a small fishing village like many others in the Gulf of Bangkok. Called Pad Tha Ya, which means the 'wind blows from the southwest to the north-east at the beginning of the rainy season', the name eventually became Pattaya.

Pattaya was a small fishing town before the tourists arrived Before 1956 Pad Tha Ya was just a sub-district of Chonburi and did not even have the status of a municipality. This covered only the Naklua area, which was extended to South Pattaya in 1964. In about 1959 Pattaya started to expand into a resort for visiting American GIs from a base in Nakhon Ratchasima with plenty of money to spend. US navy men from nearby Sattahip, particularly during the Vietnam war, enabled great expansion of facilities available to visiting forces by local entrepreneurs, and Pattaya became an official centre of 'Rest and Relaxation' for American troops. They were flown into U-Tapao airport, which was built for American use at the time, and hotel accommodation, shops, bars and services in Pattaya grew rapidly due to the increasing demand.

Many Thais, particularly from Bangkok, were also regular visitors for the weekend, many renting or buying small bungalows and beach huts in the area. From that point on, Pattaya grew very quickly as a holiday destination for both Thais and foreigners, and in 1978 the national government granted it city status to reflect this. 'Pattaya City' came into being on 29th November 1978, and this anniversary is celebrated every year.

The 1980s and 90s were also a boom time for Pattaya with a large influx of tourists from European countries, particularly in their winter. Later, as well heeled visitors moved south to the Andaman coast and Samui, a new generation of Russian, Eastern European and Arab nationals began arriving. The city's administration has grown to cater for the increasing size and demands of Thailand's biggest resort town, which now receives several million visitors every year, both Thai and foreign.

The city's infrastructure has also grown to keep pace with increasing development, with construction of many condos in both Naklua and Jomtien, as well as "in-filling" of any available open space in Central and South Pattaya, making resources such as water scarce in the dry season. This has necessitated large public and private long term investment in major projects. The new Bangkok airport at Suvarnabhumi, which opens in the summer of 2006, will mean that Pattaya is only about an hour away on the new road which is under construction. This has brought another spate of development to Pattaya to meet what are seen to be the increasing needs of visitors.

The arrival of American GIs on R&R from Vietnam in the '60s changed Pattaya Due to its proximity to Bangkok, and partly as a legacy of the GI R&R activities during the Vietnam war, Pattaya developed a reputation as a party city, a badge it still honourably holds today. With this came an influx of girls from the poor Isaan region of Northeastern Thailand who supplied the ever-growing sex trade, which is very much part of the city. However, Pattaya also has its serious side and provides for a growing community of foreigners employed in the burgeoning eastern seaboard industries of the area. An estimated 12,000 people from all parts of the world live permanently in Pattaya, supporting a large establishment of restaurants, bars, clubs, societies and services set up specifically to support them. This number is said to swell considerably with the part-time residents who spent part of their year here. This is evident in the extraordinary boom in construction and property prices that the city has recently witnessed. More on Pattaya for ex-pats.

Pattaya is a modern city and you won't find any old buildings, simply because there aren't any, although the Buddhist Temples (wats) have all the character and splendour of older buildings. This resort city has grown apace with the influx of visitors, and will no doubt continue to do so.

So it wasn't until 1978 that it became Pattaya, if this Mrs Pattaya is in her 60's it seems very unlikley her story is true. Thanks for the info Pattaya Fox. :D

So it wasn't until 1978 that it became Pattaya, if this Mrs Pattaya is in her 60's it seems very unlikley her story is true. Thanks for the info Pattaya Fox.

Sorry, I feel you're leaping to conclusions. Nothing in Pattaya_Fox's post explicitly contradicts the idea that sixty years ago there was basically one family in what we foreigners now think of as the "Pattaya Bay" area - and that this family had Pattaya/Thappaya/Thappraya/OR PAD THA YA as part of their family name.

Astromash, if you believe her story, you should enrol as a space cadet. :D . Keep of the loopy juice.

History of Pattaya

Until the late 1950’s Pattaya was a small fishing village like many others in the Gulf of Bangkok. Called Pad Tha Ya, which means the ‘wind blows from the southwest to the north-east at the beginning of the rainy season’, the name eventually became Pattaya.

Pattaya was a small fishing town before the tourists arrived Before 1956 Pad Tha Ya was just a sub-district of Chonburi and did not even have the status of a municipality. This covered only the Naklua area, which was extended to South Pattaya in 1964. In about 1959 Pattaya started to expand into a resort for visiting American GIs from a base in Nakhon Ratchasima with plenty of money to spend. US navy men from nearby Sattahip, particularly during the Vietnam war, enabled great expansion of facilities available to visiting forces by local entrepreneurs, and Pattaya became an official centre of ‘Rest and Relaxation’ for American troops. They were flown into U-Tapao airport, which was built for American use at the time, and hotel accommodation, shops, bars and services in Pattaya grew rapidly due to the increasing demand.

Many Thais, particularly from Bangkok, were also regular visitors for the weekend, many renting or buying small bungalows and beach huts in the area. From that point on, Pattaya grew very quickly as a holiday destination for both Thais and foreigners, and in 1978 the national government granted it city status to reflect this. ‘Pattaya City’ came into being on 29th November 1978, and this anniversary is celebrated every year.

The 1980s and 90s were also a boom time for Pattaya with a large influx of tourists from European countries, particularly in their winter. Later, as well heeled visitors moved south to the Andaman coast and Samui, a new generation of Russian, Eastern European and Arab nationals began arriving. The city’s administration has grown to cater for the increasing size and demands of Thailand’s biggest resort town, which now receives several million visitors every year, both Thai and foreign.

The city’s infrastructure has also grown to keep pace with increasing development, with construction of many condos in both Naklua and Jomtien, as well as “in-filling” of any available open space in Central and South Pattaya, making resources such as water scarce in the dry season. This has necessitated large public and private long term investment in major projects. The new Bangkok airport at Suvarnabhumi, which opens in the summer of 2006, will mean that Pattaya is only about an hour away on the new road which is under construction. This has brought another spate of development to Pattaya to meet what are seen to be the increasing needs of visitors.

Pattaya is a modern city and you won’t find any old buildings, simply because there aren’t any, although the Buddhist Temples (wats) have all the character and splendour of older buildings. This resort city has grown apace with the influx of visitors, and will no doubt continue to do so.

Well I guess I must have been dreaming about about the first farang servicemen tostay in the area what is now Pattaya,being english and aussie, and also the black and white photo,s I took then in 1962 :D maybe it was downtown Southport or Skegness, but there again there were no americans there either :D come to think of it, Korat or Nakorn Ratschima was a NZ and Australian Airforce base until about the middle of 1960!! There is always a problem with people writing history who were not actually there, I seem to remember being there quite alot at the time mentioned, and I certainly dont remember it like the previous description :o Nignoy

Ancient history

Pattaya got its name from the march of Phraya Tak, (later King Taksin), from Ayutthaya to Chantaburi, just before the fall of the earlier capital (Ayutthaya) to the Burmese invaders in 1767.

When Phraya Tak's army arrived in the area what now is Pattaya, they confronted with the troops of Nai Klom, but it came to no fighting because Nai Klom was awed both by Phraya Tak's dignified manners and his army strict discipline, so Nai Klom surrendered without fight.

The place where the two armies confronted was later called Thap Phraya, which means the Army of Phraya, this was later changed to Phatthaya, which means the wind blowing from the southwest to the northeast, which appears in the beginning of the raining season.

Thap Phraya is still not forgotten, there is a road connecting South Pattaya and Jomtien Beach called Tappraya Road, and it has probably been somewhere in that area the two armies confronted, and from what I have been told from native citizens of Pattaya, the south Pattaya area is where the original old Pattaya city was, but modern buildings has replaced the fishermen's huts.

Phatthaya, is actually the most correct spelling of the name of the city, but simplified it ended to be spelled Pattaya.

Ancient history

Pattaya got its name from the march of Phraya Tak, (later King Taksin), from Ayutthaya to Chantaburi, just before the fall of the earlier capital (Ayutthaya) to the Burmese invaders in 1767.

When Phraya Tak's army arrived in the area what now is Pattaya, they confronted with the troops of Nai Klom, but it came to no fighting because Nai Klom was awed both by Phraya Tak's dignified manners and his army strict discipline, so Nai Klom surrendered without fight.

The place where the two armies confronted was later called Thap Phraya, which means the Army of Phraya, this was later changed to Phatthaya, which means the wind blowing from the southwest to the northeast, which appears in the beginning of the raining season.

Thap Phraya is still not forgotten, there is a road connecting South Pattaya and Jomtien Beach called Tappraya Road, and it has probably been somewhere in that area the two armies confronted, and from what I have been told from native citizens of Pattaya, the south Pattaya area is where the original old Pattaya city was, but modern buildings has replaced the fishermen's huts.

Phatthaya, is actually the most correct spelling of the name of the city, but simplified it ended to be spelled Pattaya.

I think you're right, driving from Bangkok to Pattaya there is a sign on the toll road expressway that reads Phatthaya, which could be a bit misleading for new arrivals. Bit like Jomtien, Jomthien and Chomtien.

Thats the fun part. There is no such thing as correct or incorrect Romanized Thai spelling.

Because of this, I suggest this Dutch inspired spelling for the capital:

Bhangkoek

with the country name

Tilelan

post-37101-1193683432.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

Patpong gets its name from the family that owns much of the area's property, the Patpongpanich (or Patpongpanit) who purchased the area in 1946

Soi Cowboy is named after T. G. "Cowboy" Edwards, a retired American airman who opened one of the first bars there.

The name Bangkok comes from Bang Makok, meaning 'Place of Olive Plums'.

Patpong gets its name from the family that owns much of the area's property, the Patpongpanich (or Patpongpanit) who purchased the area in 1946

Soi Cowboy is named after T. G. "Cowboy" Edwards, a retired American airman who opened one of the first bars there.

And Nana originates from what, anyone know?

Lek Nana owned property in Bangkok along Sukhumvit Road Soi 3 and 4, and that area is now known as "Soi Nana", also giving rise to the name "Nana" for the nearby Skytrain station, the "Nana Hotel" and the "Nana Plaza" entertainment complex there. He also donated land for the headquarters of the Democrat Party, for the Princess Mother Memorial Park, and for a hospital.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lek_Nana

Cheers

Lek Nana owned property in Bangkok along Sukhumvit Road Soi 3 and 4, and that area is now known as "Soi Nana", also giving rise to the name "Nana" for the nearby Skytrain station, the "Nana Hotel" and the "Nana Plaza" entertainment complex there. He also donated land for the headquarters of the Democrat Party, for the Princess Mother Memorial Park, and for a hospital.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lek_Nana

Cheers

Thanks Percy, most informative response.

I believe the family own the land, hence the name.

I have never come across the family name Pattaya,

and Thai family names are VERY difficult to change.

You have to choose from an approved list, not just make up your own.

• 1 month later...

Pure poppycock about a family name "Pattaya."

No such thing.

The original name for what has become a despicable den of shame was Thap Phya - which translates roughly as "General Jao Phya" - who became the first Rama king after the savior Taksin died - and it somehow later got bastardized into Pattaya.

The original place was a beach refuge for macho guys, and apparently hasn't changed much, other than the sheer numbers of those who like to consider themselves such.

Only the name changed.

Pure poppycock about a family name "Pattaya."

No such thing.

The original name for what has become a despicable den of shame was Thap Phya - which translates roughly as "General Jao Phya" - who became the first Rama king after the savior Taksin died - and it somehow later got bastardized into Pattaya.

The original place was a beach refuge for macho guys, and apparently hasn't changed much, other than the sheer numbers of those who like to consider themselves such.

Only the name changed.

i think astromash is on a wind up to you all ...i hope!!! :D if he really believes any of what this lady said then im afraid hes is just one of the many suckers that come here and believes in sick buffalos,young thai girls love old guys etc etc.he should have known she was lying ..her lips were moving :o

There is a Patpong family, and Soi Cowboy was named after the first bar owner there, a black guy well known as Cwboy

Edited by jEFFREYk44

i think astromash is on a wind up to you all ...i hope!!! :D if he really believes any of what this lady said then im afraid hes is just one of the many suckers that come here and believes in sick buffalos,young thai girls love old guys etc etc.he should have known she was lying ..her lips were moving :o

If you had taken the time to read the OP the lady is far from young.

I met what must be the same lady yesterday on a baht bus from Jomtien. She was reading what looked like a lease or a legal document, on new uncreased paper so probably not just a prop. On noticing some mustard in my bag she started talking to me.

She claims to be 57, and to have lived 51 of those years away from Thailand. The version I got was she has recently retired from the military, having done tours in Europe and the Middle East and has returned to Thailand to get an inheritance. She spoke good English albeit with an accent, her language ability was similar to someone who has lived with Americans for some time.

Again she claims to never have married, and was moaning about her last name, saying it caused her grief with people who come here. I suggested she change her name to Thepasit and replied that was her cousin. :D During the discussion she indicated that her grandfather grew tapioca along second road. No request for money or investments, just a friendly lady chatting.

The discussion was cut short at Pattaya Klang as she was off to Carrefor.

Just another character in Pattaya.

I met what must be the same lady yesterday on a baht bus from Jomtien. She was reading what looked like a lease or a legal document, on new uncreased paper so probably not just a prop. On noticing some mustard in my bag she started talking to me.

She claims to be 57, and to have lived 51 of those years away from Thailand. The version I got was she has recently retired from the military, having done tours in Europe and the Middle East and has returned to Thailand to get an inheritance. She spoke good English albeit with an accent, her language ability was similar to someone who has lived with Americans for some time.

Again she claims to never have married, and was moaning about her last name, saying it caused her grief with people who come here. I suggested she change her name to Thepasit and replied that was her cousin. During the discussion she indicated that her grandfather grew tapioca along second road. No request for money or investments, just a friendly lady chatting.

The discussion was cut short at Pattaya Klang as she was off to Carrefor.

Just another character in Pattaya.

How very intriguing. Thanks for posting this. She's a lady who likes chatting. Before she spoke to me she was chatting away with the Thai people travelling with us on the songtaew. So I'm not surprised she'd strike up conversation on almost any pretext.

Funny how the detail doesn't QUITE match. The lady I met said she was born in 1947 which, if correct, would place her in her early sixties now. But having said that, before she stated her age I could see her doing a mental calculation - at the time I assumed in her head she was translating Buddhist years to western years. Maybe she miscalculated slightly? Your lady says she was 57? (There again, if she's been mostly raised in the west you'd think she'd be used to thinking in western years!)

I met the lady on October 23rd when she said she was going back to duty in Iraq the following day but was hoping to retire from the military very soon. Here she is back in Pattaya 2 months later perhaps already retired?

If, as she told you, she moved away from Thailand when she was 6 years old then the implication might be it was her mother who took up with a falang? But in the late 1940s / early 1950s? Is that likely?

"just a friendly lady chatting .. just another character in Pattaya." Yes, that's right. Anyway, despite the discrepancies my gut feeling is it's the same lady.

Again she claims to never have married, and was moaning about her last name, saying it caused her grief with people who come here.

Out of interest, how did the subject of her name come up, can you remember? And did she say why it caused her grief? (Begs the question: if it causes her grief, why does she go around telling everyone it's her name? :o )

I ask because some BMs doubt that a Thai can have the name 'Pattaya'.