New Pool Hall

drk40

Playing Pool has just got even better in Bangkok, I have just been to the latest Pool Hall called Sports Academy which is at the Asok Sky train junction located on the 2nd floor above the Seafood Palace and it has to be the best Pool Hall in Bangkok, 10 full size metro brunswick tables and 3 VIP rooms - check it out!!! :o

Playing Pool has just got even better in Bangkok, I have just been to the latest Pool Hall called Sports Academy which is at the Asok Sky train junction located on the 2nd floor above the Seafood Palace and it has to be the best Pool Hall in Bangkok, 10 full size metro brunswick tables and 3 VIP rooms - check it out!!! :o

wouldnt have an interest in the place by any chance would you ? :D

Are you a satisfied customer or an interested party? Seems like a blatant advert to me.

Are you a satisfied customer or an interested party? Seems like a blatant advert to me.

Well if i was a betting man.......

newbie .... first post ..... description..... mmmmm..... i wonder :D

SPAM!!!

Ever the optimist, I'm going to hope that a low level of ThaiVisa sophistication is inversely proportional to the time and effort that has been spent to create and manage a decent pool hall.

Specifically hoping that:

1) the tables are the right size and the felt is in good condition,

2) there is a good selection of cues, properly tipped,

3) there are plenty of attentive and well demeanored rack girls (who also happen to know the rules of pool/9-ball),

4) music is good and not too loud,

5) the air conditioner is on and set low enough so that the minimal exertion of playing pool doesn't cause one to break out in a sweat,

6) and what the heck, how about an air filter to give the non-smokers a break.

Ironically (and unfortunately), the consistently best place I've played 'pool' in Thailand was a snooker joint in Chiang Mai called Caesars (if memory serves). Why a Thai place is the only one with an air filter I have no idea.

Ever the optimist, I'm going to hope that a low level of ThaiVisa sophistication is inversely proportional to the time and effort that has been spent to create and manage a decent pool hall.

3) there are plenty of attentive and well demeanored rack girls (who also happen to know the rules of pool/9-ball),

5) the air conditioner is on and set low enough so that the minimal exertion of playing pool doesn't cause one to break out in a sweat,

ditto....

Have u tried ball in hand at times square building? Was there for the first time a few days ago and thought that it was great for people who are serious about pool: good tables, cues, knowledgable service girls and good air conditioning.

Edited by keithk2007

Have u tried ball in hand at times square building? Was there for the first time a few days ago and thought that it was great for people who are serious about pool: good tables, cues, knowledgeable service girls and good air conditioning.

Ball in Hand Times Square is Ok.

Tables and cues are good, but felts are about due for a change.

Girls are a mixed bag. They are sometimes so absorbed in their own game(s) that they fail to notice when yours is over. That's great that they are playing and having fun (and learning the rules and subtleties of the game), but how hard is it to look around every now and then?

I find the music selection at ball in hand times square incomprehensible. Plus, there's a Thai boy in charge of the volume, nuf said. Music at ball in hand Nana is generally good and at a good volume, why the difference between the places?

Air conditioner there can be spotty, on the warmer times I've been there, the girls have pointed out which tables are cooler (but haven't touched the thermostat).

No air filter.

I wish the Red Parrot would pay some attention to your criteria. It could be a great place for pool, but it ain't.....

I gave up on the Red Parrot so long ago that I forgot all about it. I realize now that my problems with the place were of the paradigm sort. I thought it was a really poorly run pool hall with a few cute girls, astoundingly loud music, and no air conditioning. I think it's more accurate to describe it as a poorly run bar with a few cute girls, and no air conditioning, but that happens to have pretty good pool tables.

This reminds me of two other reasons that I stopped going to the red parrot which I hope do not apply to any new pool halls.

1) You don't have to buy drinks to play pool.

2) The table rate is prorated with no minimum.

Kudos to ball-in-hand on these points.

Kudos to ball-in-hand on these points.

I've always enjoyed going to the Ball in Hand at Nana; noise pollution is kept to a bare mininum and it isn't terribly smokey too. The staff are attentive and generally friendly and most do play a mean game of pool as well. Or maybe I just suck. :D

Metro at Rajah Mansion is also a place I would recommend although it's not a pool hall but run by the same people of BIH, the tables are of good quality. There's a friendly pool tourney every Wednesday that might be fun to check out. :o If you abhor country music, make sure that Keith (co-ownder) isn't *too* intoxicated when you're there, or it's Johnny Cash and George Strait all night long (don't worry, doesn't happen too often ;p)

I tried this new place last night and thought it was very good.

My only gripe if you are the owner/manager would be to crank up the a/c a little.

cheers

HH

My only gripe if you are the owner/manager would be to crank up the a/c a little.

cheers

HH

Pros:

The atmosphere & decor are nice.

Lots of space so your not tripping over the other people playing and it doesn't feel crowded even with many customers.

Tables are perfect as would be expected for new Brunswicks.

Cues are average (BIH has better house cues IMO).

VIP rooms are spacious and well decorated with nice amenities.

Proximity to Asok BTS/MRT (though BIH and Players are not more than a minute or 2 away)

Staff are friendly.

Cons:

Beer's are 120bt. Too much, especially for a new place considering most/all of their competition is cheaper. With 2 or 3 people, that can add up to quite a bit over a few hours of play. It's even worse when you consider that BIH times square has that deal (sometimes?) where for every 6 beers you get 1 hour free table time.

Their food menu is from the seafood place downstairs, and while it's fairly good, it's not cheap.

Staff are not at the level of play/knowledge as the staff at BIH, but that will come with time.

It's a nice place to play but will cost you a bit more in the long run if you endulge in drinks/food, which I almost always do.

Edited by surface

cheers

HH

Pros:

The atmosphere & decor are nice.

Lots of space so your not tripping over the other people playing and it doesn't feel crowded even with many customers.

Tables are perfect as would be expected for new Brunswicks.

Cues are average (BIH has better house cues IMO).

VIP rooms are spacious and well decorated with nice amenities.

Proximity to Asok BTS/MRT (though BIH and Players are not more than a minute or 2 away)

Staff are friendly.

Cons:

Beer's are 120bt. Too much, especially for a new place considering most/all of their competition is cheaper. With 2 or 3 people, that can add up to quite a bit over a few hours of play. It's even worse when you consider that BIH times square has that deal (sometimes?) where for every 6 beers you get 1 hour free table time.

Their food menu is from the seafood place downstairs, and while it's fairly good, it's not cheap.

Staff are not at the level of play/knowledge as the staff at BIH, but that will come with time.

It's a nice place to play but will cost you a bit more in the long run if you endulge in drinks/food, which I almost always do.

Tried the place a few days ago and u have summed it up pretty accurately.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been back there a few times and have some updates to my original review.

The Thai food is as good as what you can get from BIH (BIH orders from Hillary Bar), and is actually a bit cheaper. I guess the prices at BIH never sunk in after all the beer and other distractions.

More importantly, the price of beer has come down to 100 baht, which is more in line with BIH. The owners appear to be trying hard to make the place work, and I think they'll be around for a while.

Edited by surface

Played there 3 times last week and agree with previous posts.

Great tables, good cues, attentive rackers, good music (not too loud) and overall a very relaxing environment to spend a few hours. As long as not too many "2 shot behind the line Thais" come to play, I'll play there regularly.

Air con was a little warm, especially in the VIP rooms as was the beer on one night, but it didn't detract from the fun.

Costs did add up - 240 per hour for the table, quite a few beers and tip for the racker, and 2,000 baht is quickly gone.

But I think its a great place in a good location.

Hope it does well for the investors.

Not sure about the entrance via the seafood restaurant however...

240/hour to use the table?

Yes

do you have to buy drinks with that?

No

thats kind of expensive, isnt it?

Compared to what? Snooker tables at 80 baht/hour? You can't really compare 40,000 baht snooker tables in some low rent snooker club to 300,000 baht Brunswick tables in a well decorated, high rent, premium location, about 6 steps from BTS and MRT stations in central Bangkok. The same in NYC would run you $25/hour (850 baht) on nights and weekends.

If you're comparing to other pool halls in the area, Ball In Hand charges 240/hr at both their Times Square and Soi 4 locations. Players, which is between this place and BIH Times Square (and is nowhere near as nice as either of them) charges 240/hr as well.

Are the prices the same in the morning as the evening?

I believe they open around 4PM, but the prices are always the same. I actually asked again about the VIP rooms and apparently the tables in there are also 240/hr unless you call ahead to reserve one which will cost you more.

Cheers.

Playing Pool has just got even better in Bangkok

Two questions I may have read past and missed and I guess you will be qualified to answer.

1. Can one play by the game rather than hour and what is the cost per game?

2. Are there inc any car parking facilities same as BIH offers?

tia

Picked up their card last night, give them a call 026532208

Just checked this place out, 'cause it's like local pub for me :o

Looks quite great if you're pool-fan and why not if you're not. I got few photos also. Btw, owner is not Derek :D

sali.jpg

This you see when you walk in.

pelaaja.jpg

Bar is on your right side.

tiski.jpg

Near you can see that there is Hoegaarden and Guinness on draft.

sali2.jpg

There's plenty of room to play, must be the biggest pool-bar in Bangkok?

vessat.jpg

Bathrooms you can find from here, also big screen with sports.

• 2 months later...