Rawai Attacks Continue; Man Survives Machete Attack

MisterMan

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Rawai attacks continue; Man survives machete attack

RAWAI: The late-night road attacks on motorcyclists in the south end of the island continue unabated, with two more reports of attacks in the last 24 hours and several others earlier this month continuing to pour in to the Gazette news desk.

Last night a 24-year-old Norwegian man, staying in Phuket on disability pension because he is officially registered as physically disabled in his home country, was kicked off his motorbike and robbed.

The attack occurred around the corner from Icon bar, where Australian tourist Sooz Lomas, 27, and a British friend were attacked on October 7.

The Norwegian man, who asked that his name not be reported, was robbed while he was still lying on the ground.

In Chalong about 1 am today, a foreigner who runs a business in Rawai was threatened by three knife-wielding teenagers. The attack occured outside a 7-Eleven branch located just 100 meters from Chalong Police Station.

A fight ensued and the police were called. The foreigner, who also asked that his name be withheld, told the Gazette that he was disappointed with the police response.

In breaking up the fight the officers seemed more concerned about him being a foreigner and involved in a fight than the knife-wielding teenagers, he told the Gazette in a telephone interview.

Also reported to the Gazette news desk today was an attack on another foreign tourist that took place at about 1 am on October 2 near Kata Viewpoint, the same area where Norwegian Simen Knudsen was murdered a week earlier.

New Zealand tourist Shaun Clotworthy, 49, told the Gazette,“I was heading down a very steep hill toward Kata and I was about three-quarters down to the bottom of the hill, where there is a sharp bend, when two men came from behind and kicked me off my motorbike,” he explained.

“As soon as I got up off the ground, one of the men attacked me with a machete. I was lucky I was wearing a helmet – the machete cracked it,” he said.

“I was able to get the machete off him, but then both of them pointed guns at me. It was very dark,

so I don’t know whether they [the guns] were real or not,” he added.

“They made off with my bag, which had my phone, camera and some books in it, but they didn’t get any money because it was in my pocket,” he said.

Another person soon came along on a motorbike and gave him a lift to the police box in Kata, where he handed in machete and police called for an ambulance to him to Patong Hospital, he said.

Mr Clotworthy needed three stitches in his left arm to closed the wound suffered from blocking the machete, he said.

In the fall off the motorbike suffered a bruised chest and serious abrasions, he added.

“In total I had 20 wounds. I was unable to shower for two weeks. The worst, which have still yet to heal, are the toes on my left foot,” he told the Gazette on October 23.

He reported the attack to Chalong Police on the morning of October 3, he said.

“I have no broken bones, I’m lucky to be alive,” he said.

“I am disappointed with the police. They don’t seem to want to tell tourists about what is happening here. They must be able to do something. These people [the muggers] are in that area all the time.”

Adding insult to injury, Mr Clotworthy was forced to delay his visa run to via Ranong due to his injuries. Although he presented Thai Immigration officers there the police report about his attack, he was charged three days’ overstay, he said.

-Phuket Gazette

Man, 64, attacked in Rawai

RAWAI: Briton Bill O’Hare, 64, was attacked while riding his motorbike home late on Saturday night. He was hit in the head with a piece of lumber and kicked in the ribs before his attackers took off after they were startled by a woman who witnessed the crime.

“I was riding my bike up the soi from Rawai Minimart, opposite Nikita’s, driving away from the beach. I was about 300 yards up the road when it happened,” he said.

Mr O’Hare explained that while he was riding up the dark soi, a motorbike pulled up alongside and then he was hit in the head. “Then my back tire was kicked out, and that sent me flying,” he said.

“While I was on the ground I could feel a guy going through my pockets. They took my about 2,000 baht, credit cards and my driving license,” he said.

A woman nearby who saw the robbery shouted at the robbers, who then fled the scene.

“I was taken to the Freedom Bar where they treated my grazed leg and called the police,” he said.

Mr O’Hare moved to Phuket seven months ago, but has been a regular visitor to the island for three years.

He also sustained a cut above the right eye. “My ribs are still sore,” said Mr O’Hare.

“This has happened in that soi before. About a month ago three Thai girls were robbed there,” he added. -Phuket Gazette)

This is terrible reading about all these attacks. They appear to be getting increasingly violent!

It seems from the above accounts that the Thai Police do not seem overly concerned..... Letters to the Bangkok Post/The Nation perhaps? Maybe some adverse publicity would force some action???? Alternatively, some complaints to the Top Police Cheeses....

This is terrible reading about all these attacks. They appear to be getting increasingly violent!

It seems from the above accounts that the Thai Police do not seem overly concerned..... Letters to the Bangkok Post/The Nation perhaps? Maybe some adverse publicity would force some action???? Alternatively, some complaints to the Top Police Cheeses....

And worthy of further complaint to the "Top Immigration Cheeses" was their attitude in fining the poor guy for overstay.

I suppose if any of us had to undergo surgery or were otherwise detained through no fault of our own there are no acceptable excuses.?

This is a situation which must be addressed by Immigration.

Immigration have no compassion at all. Long time back I had my flight tickets in hand for a visa run, but the day before travel I (and wife) had a serious m-bike accident and we were both stuck in hospital. Doctor said no problem, hospital would give me a letter for Immigration. But when I was able to go to Immigration, show letter and unused flight ticket, I was still fined 3 day overstay. Their view was that I could have sent someone to Immigration with the letter before my stay stamp had expired..... :o

Edited by LivinginKata

Things are definitely heating up in the Rawai/Chalong area.

Another thing that hasn't been reported is the shooting in Chalong this weekend. I was on my way home on the night between Friday/Saturday and stopped to buy smokes at the minimart close to the Chalong circle on the way to Green Man. I noticed there was a lot of cops outside the Karaoke bar next door that is always open to 5 am. When I walked out of the car I saw a Thai guy lying on the ground, obviously he has been shot. Another bar brawl I guess.

The police really have to step up security in this area as it will be full of visitors in a few weeks.

When will the police finally realise the reprocussions of their Keystone cops attitude? The police are an absolute joke. Maybe it was raining or after 12pm or a sunday when these attacks happend. If these issues are not tackled in the very near future - I can see a mass exodus from the tourists. Do the police believe this is the only sunny and tropical holiday destination in the world? Most definately.

There are many condos and new homes popping up in Rawai all the time and this kind of bad publicity will scare away potentiel buyers and holidaymakers , no doubt.

It's about time the Bangkok police came down here to sort out these mafia cops, but my concern is: they are probabaly the same!

When will the police finally realise the reprocussions of their Keystone cops attitude? The police are an absolute joke. Maybe it was raining or after 12pm or a sunday when these attacks happend. If these issues are not tackled in the very near future - I can see a mass exodus from the tourists. Do the police believe this is the only sunny and tropical holiday destination in the world? Most definately.

There are many condos and new homes popping up in Rawai all the time and this kind of bad publicity will scare away potentiel buyers and holidaymakers , no doubt.

It's about time the Bangkok police came down here to sort out these mafia cops, but my concern is: they are probabaly the same!

"Hang On Help Is On It's Way"

Royal Thai Police Region 8 is coming

see thread :- http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=147329

Does that make you feel better ?

On the same subject one Thai told me that the number of Police on Phuket is allocated as a percentage of the voting population - if true, here in lies a huge problem !!!

Does that make you feel better ?

On the same subject one Thai told me that the number of Police on Phuket is allocated as a percentage of the voting population - if true, here in lies a huge problem !!!

It doesn't really make me feel better - I have to go to Rawai tonight.

what really needs to happen is for the idiots that think robbing farangs is easy money to get a severe kicking - make it hurt enough and they might stop picking on the old, women and the drunk

then again why use that road late a night when its a known problem??

I live just down the road from there and wouldn't go there late at night - well unless i was one of the new rawai vigilantes :o

Most Thai's consider southern Thailand to be a not very friendly area and

Phuket is part of that area !

I lived in Phuket for a couple of years and decided to get out because

of the high costs and the not too friendly nature of the locals (Phuketans or otherwise)

How this place survives as a tourist location is beyond me.

Dirty, Unkempt, Dangerous, Expensive and an almost total lack of civic pride !

Naka.

:o EVERY DAY YOU CAN READ ABOUT CRIMES AGAINST FALANG.

It seems to get worse from year to year.

I like to hear your opinion about it and what can be done to stop or to minimize it to the level it was 15 years ago.

I lived in Phuket now for 12 years and came here for another 6 years, I have never felt anxious to drive back on a dark road from a bar or diskotek, but now I am started to take only main roads with lights, can this be the future for Phuket and Thailand ?

I knew Simon, my Norwegian nabo who was killed one month ago on the road between Kata and Rawai,

Lhast week ago a friend of mine was knocked down from his motorbike with his girlfriend on the very same road and robbed, loosing all his money, credit card, pas and front teeth.

Try to open www.phuketgazette.com and search f.ex. for KILLED, ROBBED or STABBED --you will get a shock, 1000 of

attacks on falangs,

Will we in the future have to run around with knifes or guns to protect our self and families like the worst cities of America.

I think that Thailand now is on the top list of crime against tourist of all the worlds tourist destinations.

What is your opinion? What should be done, what can be done ?

Here is today’s article from Phuket gazette

--------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Rawai attacks continue; Man survives machete attack

RAWAI: The late-night road attacks on motorcyclists in the south end of the island continue unabated, with two more reports of attacks in the last 24 hours and several others earlier this month continuing to pour in to the Gazette news desk.

Last night a 24-year-old Norwegian man, staying in Phuket on disability pension because he is officially registered as physically disabled in his home country, was kicked off his motorbike and robbed.

The attack occurred around the corner from Icon bar, where Australian tourist Sooz Lomas, 27, and a British friend were attacked on October 7.

The Norwegian man, who asked that his name not be reported, was robbed while he was still lying on the ground.

In Chalong about 1 am today, a foreigner who runs a business in Rawai was threatened by three knife-wielding teenagers. The attack occured outside a 7-Eleven branch located just 100 meters from Chalong Police Station.

A fight ensued and the police were called. The foreigner, who also asked that his name be withheld, told the Gazette that he was disappointed with the police response.

In breaking up the fight the officers seemed more concerned about him being a foreigner and involved in a fight than the knife-wielding teenagers, he told the Gazette in a telephone interview.

Also reported to the Gazette news desk today was an attack on another foreign tourist that took place at about 1 am on October 2 near Kata Viewpoint, the same area where Norwegian Simen Knudsen was murdered a week earlier.

New Zealand tourist Shaun Clotworthy, 49, told the Gazette,“I was heading down a very steep hill toward Kata and I was about three-quarters down to the bottom of the hill, where there is a sharp bend, when two men came from behind and kicked me off my motorbike,” he explained.

“As soon as I got up off the ground, one of the men attacked me with a machete. I was lucky I was wearing a helmet – the machete cracked it,” he said.

“I was able to get the machete off him, but then both of them pointed guns at me. It was very dark,

so I don’t know whether they [the guns] were real or not,” he added.

“They made off with my bag, which had my phone, camera and some books in it, but they didn’t get any money because it was in my pocket,” he said.

Another person soon came along on a motorbike and gave him a lift to the police box in Kata, where he handed in machete and police called for an ambulance to him to Patong Hospital, he said.

Mr Clotworthy needed three stitches in his left arm to closed the wound suffered from blocking the machete, he said.

In the fall off the motorbike suffered a bruised chest and serious abrasions, he added.

“In total I had 20 wounds. I was unable to shower for two weeks. The worst, which have still yet to heal, are the toes on my left foot,” he told the Gazette on October 23.

He reported the attack to Chalong Police on the morning of October 3, he said.

“I have no broken bones, I’m lucky to be alive,” he said.

“I am disappointed with the police. They don’t seem to want to tell tourists about what is happening here. They must be able to do something. These people [the muggers] are in that area all the time.”

Adding insult to injury, Mr Clotworthy was forced to delay his visa run to via Ranong due to his injuries. Although he presented Thai Immigration officers there the police report about his attack, he was charged three days’ overstay, he said.

ed in Rawai

RAWAI: Briton Bill O’Hare, 64, was attacked while riding his motorbike home late on Saturday night. He was hit in the head with a piece of lumber and kicked in the ribs before his attackers took off after they were startled by a woman who witnessed the crime.

“I was riding my bike up the soi from Rawai Minimart, opposite Nikita’s, driving away from the beach. I was about 300 yards up the road when it happened,” he said.

Mr O’Hare explained that while he was riding up the dark soi, a motorbike pulled up alongside and then he was hit in the head. “Then my back tire was kicked out, and that sent me flying,” he said.

“While I was on the ground I could feel a guy going through my pockets. They took my about 2,000 baht, credit cards and my driving license,” he said.

A woman nearby who saw the robbery shouted at the robbers, who then fled the scene.

“I was taken to the Freedom Bar where they treated my grazed leg and called the police,” he said.

Mr O’Hare moved to Phuket seven months ago, but has been a regular visitor to the island for three years.

He also sustained a cut above the right eye. “My ribs are still sore,” said Mr O’Hare.

“This has happened in that soi before. About a month ago three Thai girls were robbed there,” he added.

1st of all, i don't think that Thailand has the worst crime against tourists in the world.

My brother used to live in Brazil and when i visited him there, i noticed many home owners there had to hire a security guard plus they had a big dog.

A few of his friends were killed while driving their car. m (shot while waiting at a red light)

But, it is getting worse here.

So, your question: "what can be done" is a good one.

I believe it is the police departments job although it appears they are not aware of that yet.

I think we have to make them aware.

That means, lots of letters to their supervisors, mayor, politicians, the media, websites possibly built, etc.

Not only the Phuket Gazette but I think the Bangkok papers also have to put some pressure on the police here.

The election is coming up of course. Can we try to make those running aware of the fact that we fear for our safety?

This talk of vigilante groups is a little scary also i think. It seems like trouble to me and may widen the gap between Thais and Farangs if implimented. Perhaps IF it could be done temporarily until the pressure from above makes the police take their job of protecting the law abiding citizens more seriously.

For now it seems they are more interested in whether you have your drivers license in your possesion at Chalong circle.

Yes, we have a problem that's becoming bigger. Present day video games, violence in movies and now on TV, the huge separation between the classes, all are contributing factors.

But it is the police departments job. They just don't act like it is yet. (IMHO of course)

"This has happened in that soi before. About a month ago three Thai girls were robbed there," he added. -Phuket Gazette)

Why are people insinuatig that Farangs get discriminated against? Are we implying that Thais get better service by the police force? That the police show more concern and make more of an effort for Thais? And that criminals only target Farangs in that area?

I think they are equal opportunity thugs.

There has been some patrols in that area and seems to be more lights from the view point down. Still a dark stretch though inbetween the end of those lights and the start of the next ones. Not due to lack of lights but just lack of lights that are on.

Why not inform the police that these animals are not wearing crash helmets whilst commiting savage violent attacks against foreigners. Maybe they would then put a man there. As for investigating the crimes - forget it! After all the thai authoritys wouldnt want to publisize such news. And i dont think most thai police are trained in investigation - without some form of compensation.

All members should publish these facts in their home countrys - bad publicity would make the authoritys act

what really needs to happen is for the idiots that think robbing farangs is easy money to get a severe kicking - make it hurt enough and they might stop picking on the old, women and the drunk

then again why use that road late a night when its a known problem??

I live just down the road from there and wouldn't go there late at night - well unless i was one of the new rawai vigilantes :D

Smartecrosse - it's not just that lonely dark Kata Rd anymore. The attacker's web has spread all over Rawai and Nai Harn - from Don's Mall to the main Rawai-Nai Harn route and all major sois in between. For those with only a motorcycle for transport, this means either not going out after dark or being prey to attack.

Not good!! :o

One of the problems - as has been alluded to before - is that the number of trained policemen/women in Phuket is actually very small, (shockingly small when compared to the tourist population). The Tourist Police are trying to provide a good service but, even with volunteers helping them, they are generally limited to patrolling Patong.

People spoke about Guardian Angels etc. If you really want to help your local community, then why don't you become a Tourist Police volunteer and patrol in the Rawaii area? Your uniformed presence in the problem areas should help to get the message across that this type of violence will not be tolerated.

Simon

I am disgusted at this news as well. The suggestion of writing letters or e-mails is a start, but does anyone have specifics? Addresses or E-mails please. I will write till I drop!!! I can't believe the police were not more interested in knife wielding teenagers with an unsolved stabbing murder hanging in the air!! Outrageous!!!

People spoke about Guardian Angels etc. If you really want to help your local community, then why don't you become a Tourist Police volunteer and patrol in the Rawaii area? Your uniformed presence in the problem areas should help to get the message across that this type of violence will not be tolerated.Simon

A logical and sound suggestion. Those calling for vigilantes don't appreciate fully that mob justice often leads to innocent people getting hurt. All we need is a group of farangs going after the wrong Thai, just because he looked guilty, and we'll have a riot on our hands. What the tourist police need are more women. Most men, tend to behave when the lady officer is on hand, and with the number of assaults on tourist women (often by other foreigners), it would help if the victims had a friendly female around.

Present day video games, violence in movies and now on TV, the huge separation between the classes, all are contributing factors.
Agree, especially with the separation between the classes, and the farang being one of the 'higher' classes.

Part of the problem is also the great influx of farang, and their tendencies not to integrate, separate housing complexes with big gates, not speaking any Thai, etc. In the long run this is going to kill Phuket.

It is not only a police matter, it is much more a mentality problem, both with farang and Thai.

Edited by stevenl

It's starting to look like open season on farangs in the South of Phuket but forming a Guardian Angels equivelent is not the answer. Could you possible imagine the reaction to that by every young bored hot headed Thai, it would turn into open warfare. I suspect the anwser lays in a couple of parts; putting pressure on the local police via the media seems very sensible; publicising the crimes overseas also seems like a smart thing to do.

I have a topic running in Thailand General - Since it is the same discussion and not everyone knows this, I will write same thing here, sorry if someone already read it in the other topic.

<<When I started this topic I did not count on so much response,

Good with many opinions and involvement.

When I arrived with my boat in Phuket in 1992 on a world navigation cruise,

I told people in newspapers and yachting magazines in my home county, what a lovely place Phuket was for yachties, and expats.

At that time we did not hear about violent crime against farang, or robberies from the anchored boats. I actually said that Phuket was one of the world’s best and safest places for tourists and that Phuket was one of the few places where you could leave your boat with out locking it and walk safe around after midnight.

That is all changed, now everyone have stories about some one they know, who got robbed or violent assaulted.

I know that other countries also have their problems, I traveled a lot, but the changes here came very quickly in matter of a few years, together with the increase of tourist coming to Thailand. I am still here, wondering, what happened to my tropical paradise, I wrote about just 10 years ago, and can something be done to get the old spirit back.>>

It's starting to look like open season on farangs in the South of Phuket but forming a Guardian Angels equivelent is not the answer. Could you possible imagine the reaction to that by every young bored hot headed Thai, it would turn into open warfare. I suspect the anwser lays in a couple of parts; putting pressure on the local police via the media seems very sensible; publicising the crimes overseas also seems like a smart thing to do.

I spoke to the machete victim last night. He said his initial reaction was to go home back to NZ - but he came here to Phuket for a hard-earned 2 month holiday. Despite the attack - he wanted to try to relax.

Several weeks after the machete attack, he is still shaken and emotional BUT hats off to him that he decided to give Phuket another chance. Sadly enough, he reported that he was since attacked by a ladyboy in Karon while riding his motorbike. This time, after intervention by hotel staff, he was told: "I will kill you next time" :o

I read the thread again and it's like reading about some western cities in the late 70's and early 80's. I remember visiting NYC as a kid in 1980 and being scared by all the hookers, pimps, junkies, crooks etc. around Times Square. NYC wised up and put cops on the beat and since then have gone the extra step in making what was once a place thought to be "broken beyond repair" a fairly safe place for the millions of tourists that visit every year.

Maybe it's time the BiBs started walking a beat or getting on their bikes and traveling these dangerous routes. Manning checkpoints targeting farangs as they do right before the entry into Patong from Karon isn't the type of presence that's needed. The BiB mentality is sort of like the attitude some police departments had (e.g. Chicago, NYC, Paris etc.) before the community policing concept was reintroduced.

Sort of odd though, that community policing was rediscovered by western crime suppression specialists after visiting Asia to see what other countries were doing.

simply email this thread to the newsdesks of as many newspapers as you can - the nation, reuters, newspapers in uk, us , oz etc. someone will pick it up. thailand hates bad publicity and then action will happen.

I believe with the election coming up, it's possible we can help make crime an issue

Here is an email to start with: [email protected] For the Bangkok Post Opinion column.

Last night I was sitting at the Islander bar in Rawai/Nai Harn and in 2 hours there, saw 2 police patrols slowly combing the area. Twas a first for me to see that.

Also saw more lights now on the final stretch of road coming from Kata before the elephant riding place.

So, something positive is being done.

Why are people insinuatig that Farangs get discriminated against? Are we implying that Thais get better service by the police force? That the police show more concern and make more of an effort for Thais?

Are you serious?

Buy a coffee and sit for an hour or two and just listen to what is going on inside Patong's policestation for an example.

Edited by Hobox

Part of the problem is also the great influx of farang, and their tendencies not to integrate, separate housing complexes with big gates, not speaking any Thai, etc. In the long run this is going to kill Phuket.

Yes, do it the thai way! Blame the farangs!

"- If they just would stop coming here then this would never have happened!"

I don't believe what I'm reading in some posts here. Are you guys serious!? :o