Ok, Own Up, Who Was It?

sceadugenga

I think the answer is 'Up to you'...

Acknowledging other people's presence is never wrong I guess. That being said, there are so many resident foreigners where I live (Chiang Mai) that it would feel awkward saying hi to everyone just because they happen to be foreigners too.

I will usually at least nod if I pass close to somebody and get eye contact.

Of course it is up to you...but why greet a foreigner because he/she is a foreigner....do not think so...

be polite and nice at everybody ....Thai or foreigner....that's the way....I think....

I think the answer is 'Up to you'...

Acknowledging other people's presence is never wrong I guess. That being said, there are so many resident foreigners where I live (Chiang Mai) that it would feel awkward saying hi to everyone just because they happen to be foreigners too.

I will usually at least nod if I pass close to somebody and get eye contact.

Of course it is up to you...but why greet a foreigner because he/she is a foreigner....do not think so...

be polite and nice at everybody ....Thai or foreigner....that's the way....I think....

hence the post that you quoted :o The point Meadish was making is simple - if you want to acknowledge the other person then do so because you want to. If you don't know them nor want to say/do anything then don't. Those of you who have lived in CR will know the time that seeing another farung who lived in the area was quite unusual. In an isolated community of foreigners amongst Thais - every farung knew or at least knew of the others.

Personally I don't greet other farung in a situation like a shop or street unless I know them. In my village I don't know any of the other 5 or 6 farung who live here. However I know almost all the Thais and they definitely know me by sight and most by name - walking or riding my motorbike around the place I am constantly acknowledging my Thai neighbours who probably know more of my business than I do.

CB