I Recommend You Ride A Bike

JungleBiker

The bike on the left looks like it has been borrowed from a circus. The extension causes both the handlebars and saddle to be about 2" further back, (guestimation). this would have dramatic consequences on an off road bike. Surely it must affect the steering and braking? They both look top heavy and of course the centre of gravity will be much higher than "normal". I do not envy anyone that needs to ride a bike like that.

I would be interested and highly amused to see a full suspension bike "converted" to such a large frame size.

p.s. this is IMO the most interesting thread in the forum right now, it's in the "i'm too Fat forum" and we are talking technical bicycle specifications. Whatever will happen next?

So, question is, is there anyplace accessible around BKK where one can have a reasonably long, clean, clear ride without fear of getting run over by a bus or dropping into a two foot deep pothole??? And, if so, how to get one's bicycle there from perhaps a distant location????

Thanks, John

I don't live in Bangkok but I have heard, and seen photos, of cycle tracks in beautiful green settings away from the traffic. Surely someone knows. As for cycling to lose weight, 'fraid you're preaching to the converted. I cycle 'cause I hate running or swimming. Simple case of each to their own

The bike on the left looks like it has been borrowed from a circus. The extension causes both the handlebars and saddle to be about 2" further back, (guestimation). this would have dramatic consequences on an off road bike. Surely it must affect the steering and braking? They both look top heavy and of course the centre of gravity will be much higher than "normal". I do not envy anyone that needs to ride a bike like that.

I would be interested and highly amused to see a full suspension bike "converted" to such a large frame size.

p.s. this is IMO the most interesting thread in the forum right now, it's in the "i'm too Fat forum" and we are talking technical bicycle specifications. Whatever will happen next?

The bike on the left is mine, I just photoshopped it to see what Ken Bird may have done in designing the big bike. I have possibly done in excess of 100,000kms on it. The set-up is perfect for me. The original bike is below.

bike1.jpg

I don't live in Bangkok but I have heard, and seen photos, of cycle tracks in beautiful green settings away from the traffic. Surely someone knows. As for cycling to lose weight, 'fraid you're preaching to the converted. I cycle 'cause I hate running or swimming. Simple case of each to their own

There are, I believe, parks in Bangkok that are cycle friendly - I think Lumpini Park and Railway Park are two. I have not tried them because, as you say, 'each to their own'. Perhaps others who use them can write a report on them.

I have ridden in Lumpini park a couple of times. It's great if you want to test ride a bike from Probike as it is right across the road. But it can get quite busy with pedestrians travelling, (or not), at different speeds. (Running, jogging, walking and even aerobics). So it's really only good for casual riding.

Most of the time i would get a kick out of riding the busy streets weaving in and out of the traffic but occasionally i would go somewhere more quiet. If you travel out of town on Rama 9 Express way and get off at the Srinakarin Intersection there is a labyrinth of Klongs that have raised concrete walkways on them. I have ridden for hours around there. You meet lots of interesting people, there is little pollution and the only traffic is on foot. If anyone wants more concise difections i will be happy to supply.

• 3 weeks later...
Now George Bush is using a power meter (and I heard he has a coach)...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7121601756.html

Well if he can use one they must be simple to operate. Or is that what the coach is for?

There is not much chatting along the way, Lazear says, since many of the trails "require a lot of concentration." Bush is often listening to music on his iPod

Extreme concentration & listening to an iPod?. If i listen to an iPod when riding i might just as well close my eyes.

Edited by nidge

• 2 weeks later...

Attention anyone wanting to lose weight,

Just got myself a new power meter (a Power Tap SL 2.4 from the Cannondale distributor in Bangkok) and noticed in one of the manuals (written by Dr Allen Lim - coach to Tour de France riders) the following information that may be of interest to people wanting to lose weight:

"In the same way that power helps athletes accomplish specific training goals that help them in competition, monitoring power output can help regular individuals accomplish specific health or fitness goals. For example, there are 3,500 kcals in one pound of fat. If you want to lose weight most doctors recommend that you try not to lose more than one pound per week. In order to do that, you would need to decrease your food intake by 500 kcals each day or burn an extra 500 kcals through exercise each day. Because dieting alone can lead to a decrease in muscle mass and in turn slow your metabolism and hurt your fitness, most doctors and physiologists recommend that you lose those extra calories through exercise. Using the Power Tap, you can create a very specific goal of riding at least 500 Kjoules each day. If you are not in great shape and fairly small, it may take you two hours to do that 500 kjoules. If you're bigger and in better shape, it may take you an hour. Regardless, you can match a specific training regime to the demand required for a specific goal."

I should explain that elsewhere in the manual it mentions that 500 Kjoules is approximately equivalent to 500 kcals.

Yesterday I went for a 1 hour and 15 minutes ride on my bike during which I burned 1,145 kcals, mind you it was a pretty intensive ride with 2 x 20 minute intervals at around 325 Watts (i.e. about 15 Watts higher than my Functional Threshold Power - which is the maximum power I could maintain for 60 minutes).

By the way, regardless of bikes and power meters, many people like to use www.fitday.com to monitor their calorie consumption.

JB.